Apple removes YouTube app from iOS with beta 4 release of iOS 6 [u]

Comments

• Reply 41 of 144
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 513member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

So glad the Android version of this app is incredible.

Amazing UI and can even preload my videos for whatever channel

Oh my God - that's SO AWESOME!!!  What's even better is that your iOS knockoff device lets you troll Apple forums!

• Reply 42 of 144
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    asdasd wrote: »
    Obviously AI is going to have a pro-Apple opinion on this. At the risk of being called a troll, despite about 95% of my posts being pro-Apple and being here for years etc, this is a very very bad move. 

Think the average user. I mentioned something about iOS 6 recently and a non-technical friend replied on Twitter that she was looking forward to it. Shes a big iPhone fan.

[...]

This is nuts: just as Apple uses google search, it should use google where it has to, where Google is better. And cut the crap.

I agree with you on Apple's Maps thus far, but with YouTube they are sill using Google. There is no iTube. There is no YouTube alternative. It's still YouTube's servers and YouTube's site. The difference is Google will supply the app on iOS or you'll just use your browser of choice to load videos. The latter is much, much preferable option in my opinion.
  • Reply 43 of 144
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member

I've been reading through this thread, and in typical fashion, there are a lot of 'who cares it sucks anyway' responses.  I'm a huge Apple fan, a developer, and I own large amounts of Apple product.  And this is my opinion:

It does matter.

First, it is not easier and more effective to use You Tube in Safari.  It is notably slower, and it crashes the browser frequently.  

Second, saying that the loss of the Apple designed application is unimportant is by implication arguing that it is better to let Google determine the best way to interact with this content on an Apple device, and that is never ever a safe bet in my opinion.  Take a look at other Google designed applications, and compare them to their Apple counterparts.  Google designed apps are almost always crap and they almost never demonstrate the same ease of use, intelligence of design, or even basic thought that Apple designed applications do.  YouTube on Google branded devices like Google TV, tablets, etc. is just a frustratingly crappy experience and I cannot believe anyone seriously would recommend that over the Apple designed application.  Ditto for Netflix on GoogleTV.  And what about GoogleTV itself.  Crappy.  YouTube actually is an important feature to many people, and letting Google determine what that experience will be like on an iOS device is just not good.

Third, you are arguing that it is best to let Google determine what is acceptable in the platform and what isn't.  The Apple App could have parental controls and other restrictions put in place, and it thoughtfully did not expose the user to every video of a gyrating hoochie within a 12 nation radius just because it is 'popular', a great feature for those of us who have kids that want to see videos of roller coasters or marble machines.  Google does not, as a corporation, feel such things are important and does not even provide users with a way of determining what should and should not make it onto their home page.  So, saying you feel ok letting Google control that is arguing you are ok letting Google have some meaningful influence in the platform experience and I think that's garbage in a major way.

Last, YouTube is a major draw and reason for devices like Apple TV.  And since AppleTV has no browser, loosing the app is a significant product change.  Hopefully the change will not extend to Apple TV.

• Reply 44 of 144
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

Apple: "Hey, it looks like our 5-year contract with you to use YouTube is running out, and we should renegotiate"

Google: "That's right, we want another $5 per device for the privileges of us advertising to your users"

Apple: "So how much is that going to cost us since we have half the market of actual, people using their devices?"

Google: "Eleventy Gabillion Dollars"

Apple: "Right...."

• Reply 45 of 144
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The difference is Google will supply the app on iOS or you'll just use your browser of choice to load videos. The latter is much, much preferable option in my opinion.

Yep I like web apps where most of the content is coming from the Internet anyway. That way you don't need dozens of stand alone apps. maps.google.com works pretty well also except no street view since there is still not a suitable Flash alternative in Mobile Safari. I'm not sure how they made it work in the iOS app but apparently HTML5 has a ways to go before it can replace some things.

• Reply 46 of 144
    mstone wrote: »
    Yep I like web apps where most of the content is coming from the Internet anyway. That way you don't need dozens of stand alone apps. maps.google.com works pretty well also except no street view since there is still not a suitable Flash alternative in Mobile Safari. I'm not sure how they made it work in the iOS app but apparently HTML5 has a ways to go before it can replace some things.

I'm hoping Google's Maps apps for iOS will have that feature. It's the number one reason why I look forward to it.
  • Reply 47 of 144

Quote:

Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

Third, you are arguing that it is best to let Google determine what is acceptable in the platform and what isn't.  The Apple App could have parental controls and other restrictions put in place, and it thoughtfully did not expose the user to every video of a gyrating hoochie within a 12 nation radius

I know someone will eventually ask anyway, might as well get it out of the way. Do you have any links to the gyrating hoochies?

Just kidding. I get your point. I never really considered that.

• Reply 48 of 144
    mstone wrote: »
    I know someone will eventually ask anyway, might as well get it out of the way. Do you have any links to the gyrating hoochies?

Just kidding. I get your point. I never really considered that.

How about the best thing S. Korea has ever produced?

• Reply 49 of 144
    howiehowie Posts: 68member

Dumping YouTube is a strategic blunder.

• Reply 50 of 144
    tt92618 wrote: »
    Third, you are arguing that it is best to let Google determine what is acceptable in the platform and what isn't.  The Apple App could have parental controls and other restrictions put in place, and it thoughtfully did not expose the user to every video of a gyrating hoochie within a 12 nation radius just because it is 'popular', a great feature for those of us who have kids that want to see videos of roller coasters or marble machines.  Google does not, as a corporation, feel such things are important and does not even provide users with a way of determining what should and should not make it onto their home page.  So, saying you feel ok letting Google control that is arguing you are ok letting Google have some meaningful influence in the platform experience and I think that's garbage in a major way.

I don't quite understand this one. How has iOS's Parental Controls prevented certain video content to not be loaded in the YouTube app? Is Apple analyzing each video for content?

Also, if you give your child an iDevice with access to Safari you've already lost that battle.
  • Reply 51 of 144

Quote:

How about the best thing S. Korea has ever produced?

I'd like to see it however it seems that YouTube cannot deliver it to me at this time. I am getting 20M download speed according to Speedtest.net so either that video is really popular or perhaps someone put some parental controls on my Mac. image

• Reply 52 of 144

Quote:

I don't quite understand this one. How has iOS's Parental Controls prevented certain video content to not be loaded in the YouTube app? Is Apple analyzing each video for content?

Also, if you give your child an iDevice with access to Safari you've already lost that battle.

I think they are rated.

• Reply 53 of 144
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I'd add my 2-cents but it appears the sane folks here did it for me...

Sane folks have him on ignore.

• Reply 54 of 144
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Makes sense to me. Google can just upload it to the app store. All the web links seem to take you to a mobile web version now anyway. No need for this to be built-in.

Exactly. Not everyone uses YouTube so why should it and not also Vimeo etc get built in inclusion. Google can just release it as a standalone app like Vimeo and the rest. No big deal
  • Reply 55 of 144
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital_Guy View Post

This is starting to get ugly. I've been an Apple customer since 1983. No longer being the hungry underdog, they are now telling users what to like and what to not like. I haven't used the new "Maps" for iOS 6, but I am familiar with and have used "Maps" for the last 3 or 4 years on the iPhone. I can only wonder now with the elimination of the YouTube application (yes, I know it will still be available through Safari for the iPhone, which some people may even claim has more features) that Apple will replace it with something called "iTube". It's only a matter of time before they start restricting what pages Safari will load, and what pages its customers should and should not see.

Wow, hyperbole much?

• Reply 56 of 144
    palegolas wrote: »
    YouTube in Safari is much better than the app.
    The YouTube app has long been in my iOS folder called "waste", full of apps I can't delete, and never use.

Indeed, especially when things like history are device specific even when I'm logged in. If I'm on a mobile app I will hopefully be able to see everything no matter where I went first. That alone is enough to make me happy
  • Reply 57 of 144

Quote:

How do I use Safety Mode?

Follow the instructions below to access and turn on Safety Mode:

Safety Mode On:

• Click Safety Mode at the bottom of every page to open the preference setting

• Click On and Save to opt in

• You are now in Safety Mode!

turn safety mode on 

safety enabled

To opt out, open Preferences and Click Off and Save.

Locked Safety Mode:

lock safety mode

• Sign in to your YouTube account

• Click Safety Mode at the bottom of every page to open the preference setting

• Click On and Save and Lock to opt in and lock this browser

• You are now in Locked Safety Mode!

•  

To opt out, open Preferences and Click Unlock Safety Mode.

Enter your YouTube password to unlock Safety Mode.

• Reply 58 of 144
    graxspoograxspoo Posts: 162member

Apple is reducing the value of its iOS platform. In many ways, this is the worst aspect of Apple's "go it alone" personality coming to the fore. I trust a platform more when it is a collaborative environment, with multiple parties and vendors contributing to the overall suite of services. Apple really wants to use its services exclusively. iTunes for music and video, iCloud for synchronized storage, iCal for calendaring, Address Book for contacts, Safari and Mail for internet, and now a custom built mapping solution. I wouldn't be too surprised if they come out with their own web search.

• Reply 59 of 144
    I suspect it was google's decision to remove the app from iOS, not apple.  

Possibly. The license runs out and Google says they don't want to renew it because they would rather go independent with the app. Apple says sure.

As for the Apple TV, it could be a different contract so nothing to worry about there
  • Reply 60 of 144
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member

Ok, well let me be more specific.  I happen to have a Google TV, and an Apple TV.  I sometimes use the GoogleTV because it is integrated into my HDTV, but if I want to show my kids a movie of a volcano erupting, or any of the 990 bajillion other things little boys want to know about, I cannot do it on the Google TV.  Why?  Because on the Google TV the YouTube 'home' page - the page you see immediately when you load the application - shows primarily and prominently those videos which are most popular right now.  And those videos are predictably almost always some skanky hooch gyrating on some rapper's lap.  Worse, Google doesn't even give users a way to control that experience, so you cannot even do so much as set a preference to not show the popular items.  So, while I agree with the admonition to not give your kid a mobile device, it really side-steps the issue a bit; I cannot even crank up the app itself without my 4 year old witnessing scantily clad skanks gyrating against someone else's crotch, in 52 inches.

One of the key differences between Apple and Google is that Apple thinks it is important to give users choices over their content.  Google spouts a mantra of 'freedom' for content, but what that maps to in practice is that you are free to experience whatever garbage we want to spew at you, so that we can figure out a way to profit from your consumption of it.

I'm pretty much a believer that the reason Google Apps are almost always so really abysmally bad is, first and foremost, because the application isn't Google's primary product; you are.  So of course they have no real interest in ensuring that your experience of their application is wonderful, or in giving you really effective mechanisms for controlling that experience.  In fact, giving you that power actually runs counter to their real business because it limits their reach and control over how you obtain and interact with content.  This is in my opinion part of what Steve Jobs was 'on about' when he caustically derided Google's 'don't be evil' corporate standard.  What Google does in my opinion is fundamentally evil on many levels, because it turns people into a product; instead of concentrating on providing value to the consumer, Google's many projects focus on, in real terms, extracting value from them.  Any value the consumer realizes as a follow-on is largely ancillary in value to google, and that is why, I suspect, so many of their efforts or so bad when first out of the box.