Apple removes YouTube app from iOS with beta 4 release of iOS 6 [u]

Comments

• Reply 61 of 144
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Don't really care about the youtube app since I never used it too much. As long as Google can create apps in the store I see no big downside to this feud. I prefer Picassa over Flickr though. Glad they are adding Facebook as a share option but an even better solution would be to allow us to choose what sharing services we want to use in the settings. Add all the major services as an option in settings and then let us choose which ones we want to use. For people that don't even use Twitter that must be frustrating to always see that option. 

• Reply 62 of 144
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member

And I'll just add to this that there are two other points I made, one of which is how just abysmally bad Google produced applications are.  Letting Google control the experience of a significant selling point for a device is very very questionable as a tactic.  That's why, I suggest, Apple originally built their own YouTube and Maps applications; these were considered too central to the device's marketing points to be left in the hands of Google.

• Reply 63 of 144

Quote:

Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

Second, saying that the loss of the Apple designed application is unimportant is by implication arguing that it is better to let Google determine the best way to interact with this content on an Apple device, and that is never ever a safe bet in my opinion.  Take a look at other Google designed applications, and compare them to their Apple counterparts.  Google designed apps are almost always crap and they almost never demonstrate the same ease of use, intelligence of design, or even basic thought that Apple designed applications do.  YouTube on Google branded devices like Google TV, tablets, etc. is just a frustratingly crappy experience and I cannot believe anyone seriously would recommend that over the Apple designed application.  Ditto for Netflix on GoogleTV.  And what about GoogleTV itself.  Crappy.  YouTube actually is an important feature to many people, and letting Google determine what that experience will be like on an iOS device is just not good.

I'll point out I'm definitely anti-apple but realize people like their products because they're good and people like the ease of integration that Apple products deliver.  

I own a handful of Google products and some are better than others.  I actually enjoy my Google TV though.  It has the best netflix interface I've seen (roku, xbox, ps3, blu-ray players).  I've not messed with an Apple TV though so perhaps it has a better interface but from what I've used Google TV has the best netflix interface.  Youtube also works fine on the Google TV.  It could be better and doesn't compare to using youtube on a desktop or even a mobile device but it's still very functional and I find if I want to youtube something in bed I can quite easily with my Google TV.  I don't usually 'browse' youtube.  When I go to youtube it's for a specific purpose, Google TV's youtube app handles this magnificently (a fully QWERTY keyboard on the remote control is a definite plus in this regard).  I thought the bashing on Google TV was unwarranted from my personal usage of one.

• Reply 64 of 144
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mstone wrote: »
    <h4>How do I use Safety Mode?</h4>

Follow the instructions below to access and turn on Safety Mode:
    Safety Mode On:
    • Click Safety Mode at the bottom of every page to open the preference setting
    • Click On and Save to opt in
    • You are now in Safety Mode!

youtube_174084_enable_safety_mode_en.gif 
    youtube_174084_safety_enabled_homepage_en.gif

To opt out, open Preferences and Click Off and Save.

Locked Safety Mode:

youtube_174084_lock_safety_mode_en.gif
    • Sign in to your YouTube account
    • Click Safety Mode at the bottom of every page to open the preference setting
    • Click On and Save and Lock to opt in and lock this browser
    • You are now in Locked Safety Mode!
    •  

To opt out, open Preferences and Click Unlock Safety Mode.

Enter your YouTube password to unlock Safety Mode.

That's what I don't understand. That's a server-side setting, not something that is unique to Apple's YouTube app. So how is this feature going away simply because Apple isn't making the app?
  • Reply 65 of 144
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

We'll know they are serious when they no longer allow Google search on iOS and remove the GMail choice in the Mail accounts. Apple gets paid big $ for Google being the default search, not that Apple really needs the money. Those contracts are probably coming up soon too.

Apple's never going to restrict its users from using GMail or Google Search. They may downplay those options, but that's not the same thing.

• Reply 66 of 144
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by graxspoo View Post

Apple is reducing the value of its iOS platform. In many ways, this is the worst aspect of Apple's "go it alone" personality coming to the fore. I trust a platform more when it is a collaborative environment, with multiple parties and vendors contributing to the overall suite of services. Apple really wants to use its services exclusively. iTunes for music and video, iCloud for synchronized storage, iCal for calendaring, Address Book for contacts, Safari and Mail for internet, and now a custom built mapping solution. I wouldn't be too surprised if they come out with their own web search.

Can you blame them? And why not? If home-grown is done *right*, it can very well offer s superior experience due to the integration and that special "Apple touch" when it comes to apps. 

My question is, with all of Apple's billions, all that talent, WHY NOT go it alone? The more Apple differentiates themselves from the rest of the pack, the more attractive all that promise of integration will be. The very reason Apple are so successful today is *because* they barely license anything. All that control over their platform is a boon to consumers. At least, so say their wallets. 

• Reply 67 of 144

I'm sorry you felt it unwarranted.  I happen to own both a GoogleTV and an AppleTV, and I think it is very warranted.  It goes without saying that these are my opinions... but they aren't formed in a vacuum; I have extensive experience with both platforms and with the various apps core to each.  

• Reply 68 of 144

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddawson100 View Post

Why does Appleinsider Staff jump to the conclusion that this

There are other possible scenarios as noted in this thread already. Why does every change have to be a reflection of some tactical shot to beat the other guys, ie, Google? Everyone's entitled to their own opinions, of course, but speculation is being presented as news.

<suggest> I've been following AI for years now. I love it. I do wish that we could have an editor who wants to take this site's profile to the next level. Grammar checks, less sensationalism, add originality, bring back the occasional article from Andy Zaky, more reviews, etc, would be great. (I do really appreciate DED's indepth, original reviews.) Some sensationalism increases viewership and ad revenue but there are so many loyal followers. How about you reward us by maturing the site? </suggest>

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

Agree 100% with this.  Start by cleaning up the the trolls from the forums and article discussions.

Develop some original in-depth articles and how-to's - less sensationalism and following other websites articles and leads.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 69 of 144
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That's what I don't understand. That's a server-side setting, not something that is unique to Apple's YouTube app. So how is this feature going away simply because Apple isn't making the app?

I just posted that to show you that they are rated. I have not researched it but I would imagine the iOS app works exactly the same way. Why else would it show up in the parental restrictions settings if it had no effect? It was more about the other poster saying YouTube browser had no restrictions as well as your remark which I understood to imply that the app could not restrict content.

• Reply 70 of 144

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Adobe has canceled Flash development on mobile devices, and its middleware platform is now becoming increasingly irrelevant on the web as HTML 5 takes over more and more features formerly served by Flash. After YouTube's switch to serving H.264, other prominent video distributors followed suit, to the point where most of the world's web videos do not require Flash to work, an unbelievable scenario back in 2007.

Total nonsense, and factually incorrect. FUD! Adobe didn't cancel Flash development on mobile, they dropped the Flash Player support in lieu of native AIR applications, which are Flash. Flash is the primary format of all major video streaming sites, and supporting 3 formats instead of 1 format has created a problem, not solved one. HTML(5) still is not, and will not be for years and years, able to supersede or even parity the features in Flash. What you're describing isn't Apple winning, it's Adobe making peace with the fact that a mobile browser plugin will never gain ubiquity because Apple refuses to support it. Flash is still very much relevant and every time I hear an Apple fanboy spout some nonsense about it being dead, it just reminds me how ill informed people truly are. Such is the American way.

• Reply 71 of 144

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony Miles View Post

I'll point out I'm definitely anti-apple but realize people like their products because they're good and people like the ease of integration that Apple products deliver.  

I own a handful of Google products and some are better than others.  I actually enjoy my Google TV though.  It has the best netflix interface I've seen (roku, xbox, ps3, blu-ray players).  I've not messed with an Apple TV though so perhaps it has a better interface but from what I've used Google TV has the best netflix interface.  Youtube also works fine on the Google TV.  It could be better and doesn't compare to using youtube on a desktop or even a mobile device but it's still very functional and I find if I want to youtube something in bed I can quite easily with my Google TV.  I don't usually 'browse' youtube.  When I go to youtube it's for a specific purpose, Google TV's youtube app handles this magnificently (a fully QWERTY keyboard on the remote control is a definite plus in this regard).  I thought the bashing on Google TV was unwarranted from my personal usage of one.

I'm sorry you felt it unwarranted.  I happen to own both a GoogleTV and an AppleTV, and I think it is very warranted.  It goes without saying that these are my opinions... but they aren't formed in a vacuum; I have extensive experience with both platforms and with the various apps core to each.

• Reply 72 of 144
    waverunnrwaverunnr Posts: 120member

I'm glad Apple is putting its personal vendetta against Google above the welfare of its customers.  Always a good sign of strong leadership.

/S

• Reply 73 of 144

Quote:

Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

Apple's never going to restrict its users from using GMail or Google Search. They may downplay those options, but that's not the same thing.

Of course they can't restrict it as that would be against the law. What I am suggesting is that GMail will be configured under  "Other Mail" and Google search will have to be accessed through the browser. I would imagine the current settings and selections are purely contractual.

• Reply 74 of 144
    [LIST]
    [*]
    [*]
    [*]

[/LIST]
    So Apple does away with the built-in YouTube app, but still forces you to waste screen space on things you'd like to delete, like Game Center, News Stand and Weather.
    This lack of customization is one reason I'm glad to be a former iPhone customer.
  • Reply 75 of 144
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital_Guy View Post

This is starting to get ugly. I've been an Apple customer since 1983. No longer being the hungry underdog, they are now telling users what to like and what to not like. I haven't used the new "Maps" for iOS 6, but I am familiar with and have used "Maps" for the last 3 or 4 years on the iPhone. I can only wonder now with the elimination of the YouTube application (yes, I know it will still be available through Safari for the iPhone, which some people may even claim has more features) that Apple will replace it with something called "iTube".

Do you want to pay 2.25% of the total cost of your iPhone, PC or X-Box to Google for the use of one or two H.264 standards essential patents?

Google want you to, which is why they continue to aggressively sue Apple and Microsoft, even though as a member of MPEG-LA they agreed not to.

Good riddance to bad (patent trolling) rubbish.

• Reply 76 of 144
    wardcwardc Posts: 150member

Who cares about iOS devices? I haven't used my iPad in over 4 months, and I prefer to use a landline telephone anyways. Mac is where it's at! Long live the desktop!

• Reply 77 of 144
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital_Guy View Post

This is starting to get ugly. I've been an Apple customer since 1983. No longer being the hungry underdog, they are now telling users what to like and what to not like. I haven't used the new "Maps" for iOS 6, but I am familiar with and have used "Maps" for the last 3 or 4 years on the iPhone. I can only wonder now with the elimination of the YouTube application (yes, I know it will still be available through Safari for the iPhone, which some people may even claim has more features) that Apple will replace it with something called "iTube". It's only a matter of time before they start restricting what pages Safari will load, and what pages its customers should and should not see.

Really?

I think you need treatment for your paranoid delusions.

• Reply 78 of 144
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Update: in a statement issued to Reuters Apple said:

Our license to include the YouTube app in iOS has ended, customers can use YouTube in the Safari browser and Google is working on a new YouTube app to be on the App Store.

I'd bet money that Apple's license to include the Maps app in iOS expires at the same time the YouTube app license expires.

• Reply 79 of 144
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    gijoeinla wrote: »
    Here's a crazy question -- does that mean the beta for Apple TV has excludes YouTube? Maybe more evidence that APPS are in fact coming to Apple TV ?!!

I've "heard" that YouTube is still present in the latest IOS beta for AppleTV 2, Gen2. Dunno about Gen 1 but wouldn't make sense [to me] to pull it from older and not newer.
  • Reply 80 of 144

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post

Flash is still very much relevant and every time I hear an Apple fanboy spout some nonsense about it being dead, it just reminds me how ill informed people truly are. 

Flash is relevant in terms of video delivery only because IE 6,7,8 do not support HTML5. Currently having to include video in our web pages is 4 times more tedious in this transitional stage because the video wars are raging heavier than the early days of QT vs. Real Media vs. Windows Media. Now instead we have H.264, WebM, Ogv, and Flash. I liked it better when Flash was ubiquitous because I only had to deliver one format. But all the other formats are much leaner and mobile doesn't support it anyway. Flash on the other hand is quite useful for things like Street View and Google Finance to name a few. Eventually HTML5 will replace those too but the author ware portion of HTML5 is really where the deficiency lies not the delivery of it. Flash has certainly become much less relevant lately. Perhaps you are the one who is ill informed.