Apple rumored to extend smaller Dock Connector to iPad, other iOS devices this year

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    mac_128 wrote: »
    Shocking! Apple introduces a new standard for one device, and then expands the technology to similar devices as each product refreshes? No! (way to state the obvious iMore)

My thoughts exactly! The only question here is timing.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    kingkueikingkuei Posts: 137member

Smaller dock connector, smaller nano-SIM tray, and presumably smaller dies for the SoC. Either Apple intends to use all that extra space for as big a battery as possible to counteract possible battery issues related to LTE, or there's something extra, special going into the next iPhone that they need to make way for.

• Reply 23 of 30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Just thinking how this will screw up all the people who currently own accessories with the original style of dock connector ... external speakers, clock radios, etc.

If the phone's physical shape is changing, won't those accessories be useless anyway?

I'm sorry, but people can't decry the purported iPhone designs as not a radical enough change on one hand, while crying foul about a 10 year old cable connector on the other.

• Reply 24 of 30

My problem with the original iMore article is that he justifies this Fall 9.7" iPad refresh theory by pointing back to Daring Fireball's self-admitted spitballing post about why Apple MIGHT do a refresh in the fall of last year.  Gruber was never serious, and if I remember correctly said several times on the talk show he regretted the ruckus it caused.

AFTER that post all the other tech sites chimed in with their own sources, but it was just a snowball based on nothing.

• Reply 25 of 30
    sensisensi Posts: 346member
    kingkuei wrote: »
    Smaller dock connector, smaller nano-SIM tray, and presumably smaller dies for the SoC. Either Apple intends to use all that extra space for as big a battery as possible to counteract possible battery issues related to LTE, or there's something extra, special going into the next iPhone that they need to make way for.
    I read elsewhere that they were mostly aiming at an even thinner design, and that was all. Hopefully they will go toward your battery improvement speculation.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    sensisensi Posts: 346member
    jason98 wrote: »

Instead of introducing a completely new standard (which is not going to last anyway), the'd better get rid of all wiring altogether in favor of wireless charging, BT, air-play. A big plus as they would achieve a sealed case.
    We would be better with them starting to use real industry and ubiquitous standards like microUSB with some jack connector, rather than proprietary crap and the adapters you will have to move between existing third party devices rendered artificially obsolete...
  • Reply 27 of 30
    xmikuxmiku Posts: 32member

Why are people so mad about an earlier than expected update of iPad? It is likely just a minor update and they don't need to buy it, or do they (because otherwise they would feel they have an obsolete device)? I just don't get it.

It means the old "new iPad" will be sold for a discount for a short period of time, which is a good thing :-P

• Reply 28 of 30
    xmikuxmiku Posts: 32member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sensi View Post

We would be better with them starting to use real industry and ubiquitous standards like microUSB with some jack connector, rather than proprietary crap and the adapters you will have to move between existing third party devices rendered artificially obsolete...

Are there any details on the new smaller connector? Is it going to be just another proprietary solution? Any change it will be a thunderbolt port?

• Reply 29 of 30
    chrisnhchrisnh Posts: 41member

This is funny. I have a whole drawer full of the soon-to-be 'legacy' connecting cables. Which I will happily keep. Which will prevent me from buying a new iOS device ever again.

Hahaha...the cable turns out to be the thing that puts a dent in Apple's iOS device sales going forward.

I can see it now: "Why aren't Apple's new iOS devices flying out the doors like they used to?"

"Well, everyone has roughly 27 of the older cables and they still want to use them. Their iHome radios all use the old 30-pin docks and they still want to use them. That BOSE system they paid $400 for...they still want to use it."

And so on.

• Reply 30 of 30

Yeah, Apple's just changing these things out all the time... it's like, almost every decade!

You've got a drawer full of cables for devices you've bought (and presumably enjoyed using), and now you're going to stop buying iOS devices because you can't use your old cables anymore. So what you're saying is that the quality of the device plays no part in your purchase decision, just your ability to continue to use legacy peripherals.

Amazing...