Apple removes YouTube app from iOS with beta 4 release of iOS 6 [u]

Comments

• Reply 101 of 144
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Nothing is being dumped, rather it is being moved to the app store! What is so damn difficult to understand about this. This is a very positive thing so I have a hard time grasping why there is so much negativity expressed with this move. YouTube is after all Googles property as such they should support it just like every other company with an iOS app.
    howie wrote: »
    Dumping YouTube is a strategic blunder.
  • Reply 102 of 144
    vaelianvaelian Posts: 446member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

I wouldn't say so. Dumping Google Maps for something hugely inferior is an idiotic move, but Apple did it. They could dump GMail and all we'd hear from Apple fanboys is how wonderful iMail is or some such, and how anyone who doesn't move is a moron and deserves not to get any email.

Apple have left the realm of the sane and are into crazy territory, where hatreds and vendettas rule.

That's only half the story.  Apple changed Maps because Google restricts what third-parties can do with their maps through their license, which obviously puts Android at an advantage -- this is a perfectly justified move, especially since there's nothing stopping Google from publishing a replacement to the App Store.  YouTube made even less sense to support as an app since the site is just as useful on the browser and, again, nothing stops Google from publishing their own YouTube app.  GMail is as well supported as any other Exchange E-mail service -- I use Google apps on my personal domain and have absolutely no problem with GMail on Apple's Mail app.

• Reply 103 of 144

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kavok View Post

According to Macrumors, Apple has released a statement saying that their license with Google to include the YouTube app has expired. 

Actually, they didn't say it had expired.  They said it had "ended".  It could either have expired (through passage of time) or one of the parties could have terminated it (an act of volition). 

• Reply 104 of 144

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcusj0015 View Post

So, we can't use Gmail in the Mail app and we can't use Google for search at all anymore?!

Mstone was simply speculating when he/she implied that.  There's no indication at this time that Apple is walking away from Gmail or Google Search. 

• Reply 105 of 144
    Quite clearly the licence was up and Apple chose not to renew it. To suggest that Google wanted the pre-installed app removed doesn't make any sense. Google is an advertising company that makes all its money from advertising, not from selling YouTube, Android or anything else. Google likely wants more data about the user coming out of its apps too, which Apple probably objects to. Android is simply an OS given away for free by an advertising company to collect data and sell ad space, that's Google's business model. YouTube, maps, gmail, all have the same purpose. If you don't think that's true, take a look at where nearly all of Google's earnings come from. Of course Google wants its maps, search, video and everything else on the iPhone. Apple doesn't any more. They went from partner to competitor. Why should Google continue to enjoy the privaledge of having its services pre-installed? Just go and get the app (when it arrives) like you do for everything else.
  • Reply 106 of 144
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    There was no mention of the app being dropped on the Apple TV iOS???
    Actually, there is one place I would actually be a little pissed if it was removed. Probably the only place I watch YouTube videos. Sure, ther is a Vimeo app there but it sucks.
    Plus, without JB, theres no way to install an app on that platform.
  • Reply 107 of 144
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Watch, Google's standalone version won't support AirPlay. image

• Reply 108 of 144
    bemmerbemmer Posts: 10member
    LONG time reader of these forums and finally decided to make a comment, be gentle, it's my first time...

I completely understand where many people are coming from and agree with them quite a bit- yes, in the long run this will be a better move. We can have an updated YouTube app, it'll be available from the iTunes store and at the end of the day it won't make much of a difference. But, at the same time that's from our perspective. And by that I mean from a hardcore Apple fan's perspective, or the very least the perspective of a tech savvy individual. Think about Joe Schmo. He or she love iPhones because they're cool and fun. Now imagine updating an iPhone only to find that an app they've used for years is no longer there. They're not going to be happy. And trust me, they're not going to know to simply download it from the app store. I have friends who still don't know about the notification centre let alone that if you double tap the home button your previous app list comes up. These people are lawyers, doctors and accountants in their mid to late 20s. They're not dumb but they're not the most tech savvy people either. And don't get me started about my parents and their friends! A huge majority of people are not going to be impressed by YouTube being missing.

Also, just as a side note. From a slightly tech savvy individual this sort of corporate war scares me. I'm a Windows user, I've grown up with Windows and find Mac too finicky, so I won't change over. News like this makes me wonder if one day Apple will eventually cut-off Windows from their iPhones and iPads. I know, it seems rather unlikely, but this sort news shows how cutthroat Apple has become, it could be something that happens one day!
  • Reply 109 of 144
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jonyo wrote: »
    Why does everyone keep saying that Apple's new maps app is inferior to Google's when 99% of you haven't had an opportunity to try the new Apple maps yet?

You think only 1 out of 100 posters on AppleInsider have used iOS 6? I'd say that even among iPhone users that percentage is likely higher and that on AI the number is much, much higher. I'm certainly using iOS 6 on all devices and I can say that in the ways that I want Maps to work the Google-free version is ultimately inferior. It wasn't until beta 3 that my iPad (3) Maps felt fast, smooth, and wasn't crashing much. As of beta 4 my iPhone 4 Maps is now decent — not good, but decent. I'm still missing Street View and still have no use for FlyOver.
  • Reply 110 of 144

Originally Posted by Bemmer View Post

Think about Joe Schmo. Now imagine updating an iPhone only to find that an app they've used for years is no longer there. They're not going to be happy. And trust me, they're not going to know to simply download it from the app store.

Then they can shut up and learn or deal with not having it. I'm fine with Apple forcing people to learn about the greatest feature of modern mobile devices.

News like this makes me wonder if one day Apple will eventually cut-off Windows from their iPhones and iPads.

I understand where your concern comes from, but something like 80% of iOS users are Windows users, so Apple would have to be staffed with the idiots from the mid-'90s to do that.

• Reply 111 of 144
    lerxtlerxt Posts: 186member
    Can they remove" Stocks" while they are at it?

Oh yeah... Re Maps....no streetview, no use to me.
  • Reply 112 of 144

Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

Oh yeah... Re Maps....no streetview, no use to me.

Amazing that so many people never drove anywhere before May 25, 2007.

• Reply 113 of 144
    tt92618 wrote: »
    As others have said, I think the jury is still out on maps.  That said, I agree in principle.  The issue, as I see it, is that Apple should not make moves that allow Google to exert greater control over key aspects of feature design.  When Apple allows Google to control the application interface through which users experience key Google content, they essentially allow a competitor to determine how users experience key features 'of' an Apple product.  That's obviously a negative, on many levels.

There is a reason Apple created the Maps and YouTube apps in the first place; these were likely deemed to be too important to leave in the hands of a disinterested (or even hostile) third party.  

I'm not sure what the solution is, here... but I don't view this as a positive for iOS users.

We'll manage somehow, and muddle through. Thanks for your concern.

Now run along, go play with your google toys.....
  • Reply 114 of 144

Amazing that so many people never drove anywhere before May 25, 2007.

ROTFLMAO.
  • Reply 115 of 144
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

I wouldn't say so. Dumping Google Maps for something hugely inferior is an idiotic move, but Apple did it. They could dump GMail and all we'd hear from Apple fanboys is how wonderful iMail is or some such, and how anyone who doesn't move is a moron and deserves not to get any email.

Apple have left the realm of the sane and are into crazy territory, where hatreds and vendettas rule.

Dumping Gmail is not possible unless Apple removes IMAP support, which will not happen.

• Reply 116 of 144

Google is, indeed, EVIL! Too many adds on youtube....Apple will eventually do a "Quicktime" on youtube......

• Reply 117 of 144
    iMessages now lists my iPhone phone number on my iPad as an option for both receiving iMessages and for using that as the sending ID. It's about time! Now we just need a tertiary update to OS X to get that in ML.
  • Reply 118 of 144

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

iMessages now lists my iPhone phone number on my iPad as an option for both receiving iMessages and for using that as the sending ID. It's about time! Now we just need a tertiary update to OS X to get that in ML.

I bet the day of iOS 6's release, we'll get all of that in 10.8.1. You know, the one that shoves Facebook down our throats.

• Reply 119 of 144
    I bet the day of iOS 6's release, we'll get all of that in 10.8.1. You know, the one that shoves Facebook down our throats.

If they haven't shoved Twitter down our throats in ML I don't image it will get my way when the option is added. In fact, I have a beef with Twitter integration in ML. When I click on a tweet from the notification tray or layover it doesn't open up my default Twitter app but opens up Safari. There should be a System Preferences option under the poorly named Mail, Contacts, and Calendars that allows me to choose the default app to see new tweets.
  • Reply 120 of 144
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

We'll manage somehow, and muddle through. Thanks for your concern.

Now run along, go play with your google toys.....

You know, your response reminds me why I rarely post anything at AppleInsider.

Some of you mega-posters here have developed the remarkable trait of reverse-trolling.  That's when the most common form of expression is in fact the sort that would, in saner parts of the universe, be seen as basic trolling.  Yet here, it is considered state of the art logic.  Congratulations - all around a remarkable, though not exactly noteworthy, achievement.

Just to set the record straight I am A) a developer, B) a strong Apple supporter who happens to own a sizeable array of Apple products, and C) NOT a major supporter of Google products or of Google itself, in many respects.

The problem with you cultish types is that you immediately brand anyone who disagrees with you as some sort of ignoramous.  But the bottom line is this: none of you would last two days at Apple, which is by and large a place where they have no need or desire for blindly babbling morons who are incapable of rational discussion.