Apple adds more 3D cities to iOS 6 Maps

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple continues to expand the capabilities of Maps in iOS 6 with Monday's release of the beta number four, adding a U.S., Canadian and European cities to those with "flyover" 3D data.

In preparation of rolling out its newest mobile operating system, Apple has updated its Maps app to include so-called "flyover" data for a number of major cities worldwide, including Philadelphia, Manchester and Toronto.

It should be noted that the iPad maker has yet to include New York as one of the 3D-capable cities, possibly over terrorism concerns.

New York
New York has yet to receive the flyover treatment in iOS 6 Maps.

Apple announced at WWDC 2012 that it would be ditching Google Maps for its own proprietary mapping service borne out of a 2011 acquisition of Swedish 3D mapping company C3 Technologies, a spin-off from Saab's AB defense arm. A recent side-by-side comparison between 3D maps created in iOS 6 and the new function in Google Maps gave a slight edge to Apple's solution in terms of resolution and rendering speed.

The new iOS 6 Maps app will feature TomTom-powered turn-by-turn navigation with integrated Siri support, Yelp recommendations and vector-based mapping for fast 2D rendering.

More information on Maps and other new iOS 6 features can be found in AppleInsider's First Look: iOS 6 series.

Page 2 of 2: U.S. Cities, Canada, UK

U.S. Cities

Philadelphia

Boston

Atlanta

New Orleans

Portland

Phoenix

Canada

Toronto

United Kingdom

Birmingham

Manchester

Comments

• Reply 1 of 106
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

wow, of all the thousands of densely populated cities in Canada they managed to include ... one.

great  /s

• Reply 2 of 106
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

I'd venture that flying multiple passes over everywhere is easier than trying to drive down every road in every town in every state/province/prefecture/oblast in every country on the planet.

And combined with street shots of businesses, et. al., is a full-on equivalent of the now-discontinued QuickTime VR really the best solution?

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

wow, of all the thousands of densely populated cities in Canada they managed to include ... one.

great  /s

But it's Toronto, eh; it's the important one, there. image

And yes, I know about the whole 'western provinces aren't getting proper representation' thing going on. You do know it's a beta, right?

• Reply 3 of 106

yah yah yah.  Looks cool, totally useless.     They best have transit when it comes out or you're gonna piss off all these city people when they can't get around any more.

• Reply 4 of 106
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    gazoobee wrote: »

great  /s

Give them time. This isn't some thing you can do in a day. They will get to as many places as they can as quick as they can

Including New York, which is likely due to complexity. Not terrorism. After all, terrorists will attack anywhere, not just New York.
  • Reply 5 of 106

WOW...

That's just magical.  The rest of the world will appreciate the lack of content and no street view.

iOS 6 is looking like it's going to go over about as well as Yahoo with the lack of any real map program or youtube.

• Reply 6 of 106
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnmcboston View Post

yah yah yah.  Looks cool, totally useless.     They best have transit when it comes out or you're gonna piss off all these city people when they can't get around any more.

Those people will just download the inevitable Google Maps app if its better.  No way Google is going to give up the entire iOS user base for their advertisers.

• Reply 7 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4TheLoveOfTech View Post

WOW...

That's just magical.  The rest of the world will appreciate the lack of content and no street view.

iOS 6 is looking like it's going to go over about as well as Yahoo with the lack of any real map program or youtube.

Hey you, you there! Stop typing stuff into your computer. Stop that.

• Reply 8 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Those people will just download the inevitable Google Maps app if its better.  No way Google is going to give up the entire iOS user base for their advertisers.

So in other words "Apple Needs Google" for a complete solution to the iPhone.

I wonder if Google is going to charge for their Map & YouTube application.  It would only be fair as Google put in all of the innovation to make the iPhone and Android phones what we've all come to depend on.

I wonder if Apple will update their calculator.  It's so cool that they have a 1980 calculator on a $600 phone.

• Reply 9 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by franktinsley View Post

Hey you, you there! Stop typing stuff into your computer. Stop that.

It's on my Samsung Galaxy S III, not my computer.  Although, I guess you could say it's a computer as I don't need my laptop anymore once I'm out of the office.

I get home and have my Nexus 7 that is butter smooth.  Oh yeah, cool about the maps.  Just got side tracked by how much I use Google everyday.

• Reply 10 of 106

{{any of his posts}}

It's sad how pathetic you people are.

Originally Posted by 4TheLoveOfTech View Post

…Samsung Galaxy S III… …it's a computer…

There you go, now there's no excuse for whining about iPad shipments being counted as PCs.

• Reply 11 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's sad how pathetic you people are.

There you go, now there's no excuse for whining about iPad shipments being counted as PCs.

You as a moderator have just broke all the rules of blogging on a site.

I have NO, ZERO complaints or whining how iPads are counted.  I don't have a need for one.  I have a Nexus 7 and am invested in Google, I day trade Apple.

• Reply 12 of 106

You as a moderator have just broke all the rules of blogging on a site.

Blogging? I don't blog.

I have NO, ZERO complaints or whining how iPads are counted.  I don't have a need for one.  I have a Nexus 7 and am invested in Google, I day trade Apple.

Indeed, and I do apologize for the ambiguity of that statement. I meant it as a generality, not as you specifically. "There you go" was simply a saying.

• Reply 13 of 106
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Oh, how that hole where WTC lived doth hurt my soul. I prithy Apple leaves the map thus.
  • Reply 14 of 106
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnmcboston View Post

No, they'll just download the Google Maps app.

• Reply 15 of 106
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

I hope the turn by turn GPS will work offline or its kind of worthless for me. I use my GPS when I go to the US and I dont have a data plan in the US.

• Reply 16 of 106
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

WOW...

Honestly? Street view is nice, but I used it once just to check out the cool pictures. In real life, it is just about useless or in the very least unneeded most of the time. This 3D mapping will be cooler and just as useless as Street view. Apple's maps address the number one shorting coming of the built in maps. Namely the lack of turn by turn navigation. Further, Tom is providing the mapping data, which means the map data will be good. 

• Reply 17 of 106
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    gazoobee wrote: »

great  /s

Densely populated...

Canada....

Cities.....

THOUSANDS!?

If there were one thousand cities at a million per you'd be at a billion people. You're 9 peeps per square-mile? 35mil CO2 emitters? Hey, sorry they got 1 city but overstating the digits won't help the cause.

What am I missing? Perhaps the placement of the /s?
  • Reply 18 of 106
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    WOW...

Street view? Meh. Street view is only really necessary if you're incapable of reading a map.

I can see the argument over transit information, but the rest of the arguments are mostly whining. And if the Apple solution doesn't suit you, no one is stopping you from downloading an app from Google.
  • Reply 19 of 106

Quote:

It's on my Samsung Galaxy S III, not my computer.  Although, I guess you could say it's a computer as I don't need my laptop anymore once I'm out of the office.

I get home and have my Nexus 7 that is butter smooth.  Oh yeah, cool about the maps.  Just got side tracked by how much I use Google everyday.

Yet, you find time to bless us with your presence. Isn't there an Android forum somewhere, or is there not enough people using Android capable of sustaining a forum? 

• Reply 20 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Street view? Meh. Street view is only really necessary if you're incapable of reading a map.

I can see the argument over transit information, but the rest of the arguments are mostly whining. And if the Apple solution doesn't suit you, no one is stopping you from downloading an app from Google.

I do not even see the transit argument because unlike Google Apple is embracing third party solutions and if you need transit maps the build in map application will direct you to available options. Further, people are whining and the product hasn't shipped yet.