Court documents allegedly show Samsung copied iPhone icons

Comments

• Reply 21 of 102
    YUCK! And what CRAPPY copies besides!
  • Reply 22 of 102
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    I would like to see the default Android OS icon set before Samsung "skinned" them. Perhaps it's Google's inspired designs that influenced Samsung ... Remember Apple is after Goigle, not Samsung, per se ...
  • Reply 23 of 102
    swissmac2swissmac2 Posts: 216member

We don't use yellow notepaper in Europe - for anything. Even in the US, most people aren't lawyers, so why use yellow as the paper? Why not just have a pencil icon for notes? A Fountain pen? A quill and inkpot even? As for the Settings, why use a cogwheel? A spanner is more intuitive. The phone icon is blatant, as is the Contacts icon. Of COURSE Samsung are copying; that's what they do best. That's what Asian workshops have done for centuries!

• Reply 24 of 102
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Some of those are very obvious. Sunflower for photos? There's no other picture they could have used? And a phone has to be a 1980 vintage handset against a green background? Give me a break.

Others, though, are not so obvious. The messaging icon doesn't impress me as an obvious copy. It seems generic enough. The contacts one also doesn't impress me much - although the binding on the left of the icons is perhaps suggestive. Notes? What else does a note look like? If they had chosen post-it notes, then people would have been complaining about Apple's Stickies. That one looks pretty generic. Settings? Could go either way. The music one also doesn't look like an obvious copy. After all, what represents music more than a couple of notes and a CD?

But couldn't Samsung use a different color for messaging? 

• Reply 25 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

I would like to see the default Android OS icon set before Samsung "skinned" them. Perhaps it's Google's inspired designs that influenced Samsung ... Remember Apple is after Goigle, not Samsung, per se ...

No Samsung created the skins. 

• Reply 26 of 102

Denison's testimony today was really damning -- he said that the iPhone caused Samsung to have a "crisis of design". Then, POOF, after the crisis of design, all their phones looked like the iPhone. Nah, they didn't copy it, did they? After all, it's just a rectangle.

It's easy to some people to justify rooting for the underdog and to hate Apple because of their success, their $600 stock price, their market cap, but it's hard to root for an underdog that cheats and steals. If you want to root for Windows Phone, go for it. It's not an iPhone copy.

Apple doesn't have to prove its case beyond a reasonable doubt like in a criminal trial -- they just have to convince the jury by a "preponderance of the evidence" -- and there's been nothing but a preponderance of evidence so far. Samsung's devices -- heck, all Android devices that stole from iPhone -- should be banned until they come out with their own designs that, like Windows Phone, are unique and different from iPhone. 

• Reply 27 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Because notes cannot—and have not in the history of human writing—be taken on any other medium than a legal pad. 

Exactly. You can show note taking many different ways. I took notes on plain white paper. 

• Reply 28 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Here's the kicker, though: Is it the quality of the knock-off that determines the outcome or is it the fact that they (blatantly) ARE knockoffs?

It’s the likelihood of confusion that determines trademark infringement.
  • Reply 29 of 102
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwissMac2 View Post

We don't use yellow notepaper in Europe - for anything. Even in the US, most people aren't lawyers, so why use yellow as the paper? Why not just have a pencil icon for notes? A Fountain pen? A quill and inkpot even? As for the Settings, why use a cogwheel? A spanner is more intuitive. The phone icon is blatant, as is the Contacts icon. Of COURSE Samsung are copying; that's what they do best. That's what Asian workshops have done for centuries!

It's pretty clear Samsung wanted to present their phone in a way that would encourage iPhone switchers. The goal is to provide the appearance of a "me too" experience for customers to divert attention from how the phone doesn't hook seamlessly into all of their existing Apple services.

I was shocked when I saw the native photo application UI on the Galaxy S? It's a carbon copy of the iphone one, including the toggle for switching between stills/video. Interesting they chose not to innovate there because the iphone camera interface is a particularly weak UI in the first place.
  • Reply 30 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by jigjag69 View Post

Legal pad is yellow paper ...no way around that one

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

Last time I used a notepad it was white.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 31 of 102
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jragosta wrote: »
    Some of those are very obvious. Sunflower for photos? There's no other picture they could have used? And a phone has to be a 1980 vintage handset against a green background? Give me a break.
    Others, though, are not so obvious. The messaging icon doesn't impress me as an obvious copy. It seems generic enough. The contacts one also doesn't impress me much - although the binding on the left of the icons is perhaps suggestive. Notes? What else does a note look like? If they had chosen post-it notes, then people would have been complaining about Apple's Stickies. That one looks pretty generic. Settings? Could go either way. The music one also doesn't look like an obvious copy. After all, what represents music more than a couple of notes and a CD?

I couldn't agree with you more.
  • Reply 32 of 102

Go to Google and type in the following searches (search for "images").

notes icons

telephone icons

contacts icons

messaging icons

There are numerous different examples for these, which makes Samsung look even worse.

Now if you Google...

settings icons

You see lots of examples with gears and lots with hammers/screwdrivers. I think Settings would be hard for Apple to prove based on what Google returns.

Photos is a rip-off as well, simply because they used the same flower.

• Reply 33 of 102
    Yea, so why hasn't Samsung use "yellow" color in their previous phone note icon prior to iPhone release?? Even Korean people told me that they are good at copying not so good as a innovators.
  • Reply 34 of 102

At the risk of sounding "racist," does anyone disagree, that Asian companies find it easier to "copy" than "innovate?" There, I said it. :)

• Reply 35 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

Like the rest of Asia, Koreans obviously struggle for original ideas.

Agreed! When one imagines the level of resources, attention to detail and literally years of effort that Apple invested in the iPhone, iPad and MBA and companies like Samsung, Google, Dell and HP and can just come along and rip Apple off? It is just disgusting! If there was a Samsung/Google programmer living next door to me, I would have a hard time even talking to him/her....disgusting!

Here's hoping Apple is developing their own search engine so I can rid myself of Google as I have done with MS! :)

• Reply 36 of 102
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    At the risk of sounding "racist," does anyone disagree, that Asian companies find it easier to "copy" than "innovate?" There, I said it. :)

Asian cultures, in general, tend to emphasize community rather than individuality. For many Asian cultures, building on the work of others is honored.

That said, it's really irrelevant. We have laws in this country and there are laws in other countries. if Samsung is breaking the law and illegally copying Apple's product, it is irrelevant whether that is a cultural difference or simply lazy management.
  • Reply 37 of 102

Samsung - the stupidest company on Earth - ROFLMAO!

• Reply 38 of 102

I'd have to agree

• Reply 39 of 102

Quote:

Asian cultures, in general, tend to emphasize community rather than individuality. For many Asian cultures, building on the work of others is honored.

That said, it's really irrelevant. We have laws in this country and there are laws in other countries. if Samsung is breaking the law and illegally copying Apple's product, it is irrelevant whether that is a cultural difference or simply lazy management.

I'd have to agree

• Reply 40 of 102

I disagree.

• Are you saying a pad of paper is synonymous with notes? I would think an icon showing a pen and pad would be an alternative that doesn't look like Apple's icon.

• Apple used a silhouette on an address book to represent contacts. Is a silhouette the only way to show this?

• Why do gears have to be used to show settings?

• Regarding the music icon, it could have been any note. Even Samsung's note looked different pre and post iPhone, with the new one positioned just like Apple did. They could have easily used the treble clef and staff lines, a pair of headphones with a music note, a musical instrument, etc.

The question is, if 100 people were asked to design a logo to represent one of these items, what percentage of people would come up with a graphic so close to what Apple used? Then ask get the same people to design a series of logos to represent several of these items and see how many would come up with a series that looks like Apple's. It's one thing to have one logo that is similar but to have so many? Very unlikely... unless the logos were copied.

Quote: