iPad will keep eating away PC market, despite Windows 8 "excitement"

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Windows 8 clearly moves the 'personal computing' operating system in a new and exciting direction,

Where? Adding a confusing UI layer on top of Windows 7? Is making it look like clown vomit a "new and exciting direction"?

• Reply 22 of 59
    focherfocher Posts: 687member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Windows 8 clearly moves the 'personal computing' operating system in a new and exciting direction, whereas most competitors are still patching 10 year+ old desktop environments long over-due for replacement.

Sure mobile OS-based devices have their place in the market, but it's rather misguided to belive that ANY current tablet (aka XL media consumption device) is capable of replacing desktop OS-based computers for those using them for more productive purposes.

Hard to evaluate that claim when there's no agreed definition of "productive purposes" ... other than the one in your head, of course. Is "productive purposes" create MS Office files? Or maybe it's email, web browsing, Twitter, and Facebook. Jobs was right. Some people will need a truck, but most people don't need a truck. It's like defining the success criteria for a non-Windows device being whether it runs Windows software. Of course, now there will be Windows devices that don't even meet that success criteria.

As for the desktop environments due for a replacement, the longevity of OS X's core speaks volumes to how well designed it is. Kind of like the automobile. It has evolved, but no one has come up with a better core design in 100 years. And today's version is infinitely better.

• Reply 23 of 59
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member

Windows 8 Excitement? What Windows 8 excitement? The UI looks like it was created by a color blind Mondrian plagiarist! 

ROYGBIV, baby!

• Reply 24 of 59
    rednivalrednival Posts: 331member

Quote:

And why would that be?  Because XP is a well-known quantity.  IT professionals know it inside and out.  A whole generation of IT professionals has been trained, for their entire professional career, to deal with systems running XP.  And Vista, 7, and 8 simply don't offer any compelling new features.  Not worth the time, expense, re-training, re-coding, and lost productivity during the transition away from XP.

CNET should be ashamed of that question and you distorted it even further.  It seems the media assumes that all companies run out and upgrade every PC every time the latest OS comes out.  I am an IT professional we only transition from XP to Windows 7 when we buy a new computer, and it is usually a smooth transition.  We NEVER upgrade the OS.  It's just too much trouble, but it has nothing to do with the version of Windows.  As long as a PC works and the user is not complaining, we leave it alone.  We don't order new computers or apply upgrades just for the heck of it.  All this survey really shows is that IT press is completely disconnected from the world of IT professionals.  We don't operate the way CNET and others think we do.  Keeping XP around isn't a necessity or sign of frustration with Windows 7, it just means a lack of Microsoft support is not a good enough reason to throw out a perfectly functional computer.  Budgets are tight and there's no reason to waste money if something isn't broke.

• Reply 25 of 59
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Windows 8 Excitement? What Windows 8 excitement? The UI looks like it was created by a color blind Mondrian plagiarist! 

ROYGBIV, baby!

"Excrement."  Someone's autocorrect acted up.

• Reply 26 of 59
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member

Quote:

ROYGBIV, baby!

The UI is the same on desktop mode.  I for one do hate the Metro Windows 8 UI.

You can see the speed difference in Win 8 vs Win 7

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2406668,00.asp

• Reply 27 of 59
    emacs72emacs72 Posts: 356member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rednival View Post

CNET should be ashamed of that question ...

i'm not sure about that because the survey was "carried out by Dimension Consulting on behalf of Dell's Kace systems management appliance business" http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-20021324-92.html 

an expanded edit of the article is over at http://www.zdnet.com/half-of-it-pros-plan-to-use-xp-after-support-ends-4010020916/

• Reply 28 of 59

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Lots of people have expressed their views of Windows 8:

http://www.fotosearch.com/photos-images/yawning.html

I thought these people were looking at Win8 conversion costs and then running off their roof.

• Reply 29 of 59
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rednival View Post

CNET should be ashamed of that question and you distorted it even further.  It seems the media assumes that all companies run out and upgrade every PC every time the latest OS comes out.  I am an IT professional we only transition from XP to Windows 7 when we buy a new computer, and it is usually a smooth transition.  We NEVER upgrade the OS.  It's just too much trouble, but it has nothing to do with the version of Windows.  As long as a PC works and the user is not complaining, we leave it alone.  We don't order new computers or apply upgrades just for the heck of it.  All this survey really shows is that IT press is completely disconnected from the world of IT professionals.  We don't operate the way CNET and others think we do.  Keeping XP around isn't a necessity or sign of frustration with Windows 7, it just means a lack of Microsoft support is not a good enough reason to throw out a perfectly functional computer.  Budgets are tight and there's no reason to waste money if something isn't broke.

QFT. Keep until broke. Replace not upgrade when it is.

• Reply 30 of 59
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    daharder wrote: »
    Windows 8 clearly moves the 'personal computing' operating system in a new and exciting direction, whereas most competitors are still patching 10 year+ old desktop environments long over-due for replacement.
    Sure mobile OS-based devices have their place in the market, but it's rather misguided to belive that ANY current tablet (aka XL media consumption device) is capable of replacing desktop OS-based computers for those using them for more productive purposes.

Define productive.
    When on the road using my iPad I can send and receive emails from my customers. I can use my company's online tools and book jobs, send quotes, do scheduling, etc. Very productive and more convienant than hauling out the laptop and tethering it to my phone.

Looking at the capabilitys of the art app that Auto desk released, I think very soon they will have a Autocad app for the iPad. Wouldn't that be productive?

I will admit that I wouldn't to try and work on some humongous Spreadsheet from accounting, but, I have seen Erp software that has been ported to iPad and seemed to work really well. A little bit Differently perhaps, but it was fully functional. Wouldn't that be productive?

I do think that there are functions not well suited for the iPad, but with all the software released and in development, thinking that the iPad isn't productive is a bit naive. If it doesn't work for you, that's fine, but don't assume it's the same for everyone.
  • Reply 31 of 59

Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Consumers will upgrade to Windows 8 only because it's pre-installed on the pee cee they buy when their old one freezes up from malware or totally dies.  They have no choice, unless they're among the tiny minority who 1. still have their XP install disc, and 2. have the time and technical knowledge to do the downgrade to XP, and 3. either care enough to downgrade or are forced to downgrade because their older apps break in "XP Mode."

Corporate IT departments will upgrade to Windows 8, but only when they buy new pee cees, and they might never even boot them in Windows 8.  They'll re-image their systems with XP.  Because, unlike consumers, Corporate IT does have a choice.  That choice is Window XP, and they'll downgrade.  XP has been "good enough" for nearly 11 years, and it's going to be "good enough" for the next 11 years.

All of which will maintain XP's install base among Window users.  Long after Microsoft's official support for XP is terminated in 2014.  From a 2011 CNET article on Windows XP:  

And why would that be?  Because XP is a well-known quantity.  IT professionals know it inside and out.  A whole generation of IT professionals has been trained, for their entire professional career, to deal with systems running XP.  And Vista, 7, and 8 simply don't offer any compelling new features.  Not worth the time, expense, re-training, re-coding, and lost productivity during the transition away from XP.

Win8?  no... most orgs still need to upgrade to Win7, and they will only do that when they upgrade their WinServer 2008r2 and are required to by compatibility issues for SW ("I need 2008 to run IIS or SQLServer to run an App that requires that version of middleware").

Win8 will not get into the corporate office (those that manage their own configs) until 2014, when there is software that requires Win8.  

That's the reason why XP is the still deployed at a majority of sites... desktop SW works, so why upgrade?

Since Stability is a higher requirement than security, new features, and definitely new hardware, XP is still critical path for corporations.

You will see Win8 move in Gov't and those regulated industries that require 'secure OSes'  (critical here is ASLR) and browsers (you know that IE10 will be Win8 only).

• Reply 32 of 59
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    I thought these people were looking at Win8 conversion costs and then running off their roof.

Looks to me like they need more fiber in their diet.
  • Reply 33 of 59
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    I really like Windows 7 but I am NOT excited for windows 8. It looks like crap, and I think it will be difficult to play games, download content and just pretty much do anything. I will not be upgrading
  • Reply 34 of 59

Quote:

Originally Posted by emacs72 View Post

i'm not sure about that because the survey was "carried out by Dimension Consulting on behalf of Dell's Kace systems management appliance business" http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-20021324-92.html

an expanded edit of the article is over at http://www.zdnet.com/half-of-it-pros-plan-to-use-xp-after-support-ends-4010020916/

What do the answers to the survey actually tell us?  Not what CNET implies.  The implication is that IT professionals don't like Windows 7, but all it says is the majority of IT professionals don't really care if Microsoft will support XP or not...they'll keep using it. I don't believe it is fair to ask a question about Windows XP and draw a conclusion about Windows 7 (or 8).  It's stupid and bad journalism.  

Older computers running XP cannot be upgraded to Windows 7.  So the options are to replace a working computer or keep XP.  All this survey says for sure it that given those two options, most IT professionals will keep using the XP  instead of replacing a computer that isn't broke.

There are plenty of Macbooks running outdated versions of OSX because Apple no longer supports upgrading those models, but the Mac still works and there's no pressing reason to upgrade.  Most people get that.  If a Windows user does the same thing,  the media spins it as disdain for Windows 7.  The fact is that most people don't upgrade their Mac or their PC unless they have to.  A new OS isn't a good enough reason.

• Reply 35 of 59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbit View Post

I really like Windows 7 but I am NOT excited for windows 8. It looks like crap, and I think it will be difficult to play games, download content and just pretty much do anything. I will not be upgrading

I think there is going to be a backlash.  Apple has worked iOS features into OSX in a way that isn't intrusive.  Microsoft seems to intentionally being intrusive.  They did it with Office 2007 and it worked out because enough people saw the ribbon as an actual improvement, and those that did not learned to live with it.  I cannot see how making a PC with a mouse and keyboard look like a tablet is going to create a better user experience or impress anyone.  

I either see an update that allows you to bring back the start menu, or this will ultimately go down as Vista 2.0.  Microsoft should have enough sense to know if they are having to spend so much time in the beta convincing users and partners that the new Metro UI is an improvement, that they're going to have a nightmare on their hands when it is released to the public.  It's stupid.  Make Metro the default, but make it a no brainer to switch back to the old start menu when no touch devices are detected.  If an actual touch screen is present, make it more difficult for them to switch back, throw warnings, do what you can to stop them.  But making everyone use a touch interface so the tiny little fragment of users that actually buy a Windows 8 tablet have a better experience is the dumbest strategy I can think of.

• Reply 36 of 59
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member

Quote:

ROYGBIV, baby!

You prefer Apple's hideous skeumorphism? You like the stitching, fake leather, torn paper, comic sans typefaces, and reel to reel tape decks? Oh and the linen, let's not forget about the linen. Apple used to be renowned for their UI design, no more, now they're a joke.

Metro is beautiful graphic design, and the live tiles are a great advance.  

Despite the superb graphic design work, I can't personally see Win 8 being a success on the desktop, but on tablets and phones it makes perfect sense.

• Reply 37 of 59
    stniukstniuk Posts: 90member

A sizeable chunk certainly of the xp share are illegal installs especially in Asia.

• Reply 38 of 59
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by stniuk View Post

A sizeable chunk certainly of the xp share are illegal installs especially in Asia.

And what was it, there were only… two dozen legal copies of Windows 7 sold at launch in China? Something like that.

• Reply 39 of 59
    8002580025 Posts: 175member

Windoze excitement? More excitement watching paint dry, corn grow, or chrome rust.

• Reply 40 of 59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

At least vista has more users than OSx

So? More people drive pickup trucks then sports cars. Junk outsells quality day in and day out. Besides, you can count on OSX users selecting to use OSX, while a shit-ton of Vista users had no choice of OS.