More Galaxy Tabs returned due to malfunction than mistaken identity

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Where do you think the stock sold from Apple's Refurbished Store comes from? Everything breaks, especially high tech gadgets that are meant to be held, and used daily.

Samsung *already* sells a mere fraction of what Apple sells, and a lot of that is just stuffed in the channel. 

So you can imagine why this is a big deal. 

• Reply 22 of 59
    ufwaufwa Posts: 64member

Are these reasons what Best Buy enters into their system? Are they suppose do that?

My last return experience with Best Buy was rather quick.

No questions asked. Other than "Can I see your receipt."

• Reply 23 of 59
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member

Your Honor, this is proof we didn't copy Apple. Our tablets suck.

• Reply 24 of 59
    Wow! We certainly showed them... More than twice as many people returned our tablets [I][B]because they are shit...[/B][/I] Than because they look like an iPad!
  • Reply 25 of 59
    doh123 wrote: »
    this is Best Buy returns... people lie most of the time because they are afraid to tell the truth thinking they'll get denied a refund.

"I thought it was an iPad" is probably not something someone would say even if it was the truth.  Most people who return something for no reason other than they wanted to "borrow" it for a week to play with it, or just decided they want their money instead... will say "it doesn't work right!" thinking its the only way they can be assured of getting their refund.
    Funny that the people who returned just happened to put down as a reason the very things that suck about the Galaxy Tab. Maybe they lied, but that many giving similar reasons is too much of a coincidence.
    msuberly wrote: »
    So 9% of Galaxy Tab purchasers are too dumb to read the name on the box and thought it was an iPad 2...what percentage thought it was a fish bowl, sleeping bag or scuba mask???  Actually, the article states that 9% returned their tablet and got an iPad 2 instead.  The others  most likely got a replacement Galaxy Tab.  There was nothing to do with "mistaken identity."

A more informative article would tell us what percentage of Galaxy Tabs were returned as a whole.  Then we could extrapolate why each was returned.
    You mean like you pulling numbers out of thin air? So 9% exchanged for iPads. That doesn't mean the rest exchanged for Galaxy Tabs. They could have simply got their cash back and never bought a tablet. The could have got cash back and bought an iPad at the Apple Store. The could have got a laptop. We don't know.

Your argument about people too stupid to read the box is asinine. As people mentioned when this news first appeared they were probably customers who bought the Galaxy because the salesperson said it was "just like an iPad" or "it does the same things as an iPad". Maybe even a grandmother buying a tablet for her grand kids.

People aren't stupid enough to buy a tablet with a Samsung on the box and think they were buying an iPad. However, it appears many people are stupid enough to believe that's what really happened.
  • Reply 26 of 59

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Typical of Android folks.  Creating complete garbage.  Can't compete with Apple on quality so make it as cheap as you can and hope that 3 out of 4 people walk away and keep it.

Most will end up in landfills or forgotten about in a desk drawer.  What a shame that so many valuable resources are consumed on what is essentially a disposable product.

Couldn't agree more. Slipshod design and manufacturing...all this just to make a buck! Ugh! :)

• Reply 27 of 59
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    nagromme wrote: »
    But Best Buy still reported that as being a reason, right?

Do we know the actual questions/wording from this survey? Is it a survey that would truly get at that particular question of “thought it was an iPad”? Or would the questions lead people in a different direction? What % chose the option “thought it was an iPad”... or was that simply not one of the choices?

Good questions.

Also that's 30 out of how many stores. How many did the Apple info come from?

Because 9% of returns from 500 stores is a different game than 25% of 30 stores.
  • Reply 28 of 59
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    jungmark wrote: »
    Your Honor, this is proof we didn't copy Apple. Our tablets suck.

Is that US for 'not as cool'
  • Reply 29 of 59
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Is that US for 'not as cool'

Well, you know, 'trunk', 'boot'; 'elevator', 'lift'; 'suck', 'not as cool'…

• Reply 30 of 59
    mcrsmcrs Posts: 172member

I think BB has 30 days return policy. It gives that many days for buyers to play dumb. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by doh123 View Post

this is Best Buy returns... people lie most of the time because they are afraid to tell the truth thinking they'll get denied a refund.

"I thought it was an iPad" is probably not something someone would say even if it was the truth.  Most people who return something for no reason other than they wanted to "borrow" it for a week to play with it, or just decided they want their money instead... will say "it doesn't work right!" thinking its the only way they can be assured of getting their refund.

• Reply 31 of 59
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,556member

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Good questions.

Also that's 30 out of how many stores. How many did the Apple info come from?

Because 9% of returns from 500 stores is a different game than 25% of 30 stores.

I think it was using the same Samsung survey.

• Reply 32 of 59

I'm thinking that what's worse then copying a product, is copying it with a craptastic product. Asia is the world center for counterfeited goods, usually right down to the logo. 

Now Samscum is not only confusing the customer but degrading the Apple brand.

I'm returning this because I was confused. I thought I was buying a real tablet.

• Reply 33 of 59
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,598member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Was there any attached claim of what percentage of overall Tab purchases were returned. If it's 5% more or less I'm not sure the specific reason is overly important. If 25% are returned then Samsung obviously had some problems to deal with.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I'm surprised Apple didn't insist on having the total percentage of returns. 9% of 5% isn't much to talk about, but 9% of 25% is.

At any rate, I remember several articles in the past stating that most Samsung 7" tablets were returned. I wouldn't be surprised. The manager at my local Radio Shack, whom I know pretty well, has told me that almost all the tablets they sell are iPads, and that many of the others get returned, some actually because when people get them home, they try to connect them to their iTunes accounts, and find out that they can't.

Considering that many, if not most, iTunes accounts are owned by Windows users, I'm not surprised that they would also think that a non Apple tablet would work.
  • Reply 34 of 59
    eric475eric475 Posts: 177member

The level of discussion can be encapsulated in one word. Scum.

I wouldn't call Apple, crapple.

I'd really like to know the integrity of these Best Buy customers who return devices a day before the return policy expires.

Anyone who returns a Samsung iPad because it wasn't a real iPad has to be clinically dumb.

• Reply 35 of 59

Originally Posted by eric475 View Post

Anyone who returns a Samsung iPad because it wasn't a real iPad has to be clinically dumb.

Or they wanted the real thing.

• Reply 36 of 59

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Typical of Android folks.  Creating complete garbage.  Can't compete with Apple on quality so make it as cheap as you can and hope that 3 out of 4 people walk away and keep it.

Most will end up in landfills or forgotten about in a desk drawer.  What a shame that so many valuable resources are consumed on what is essentially a disposable product.

In this particular case, Samsung is DOOMED!  :)

Apple doesn't have Jobs around anymore. Sure, Cook can run Apple well. But what's the next new new product line coming out of Apple under Cook? Nothing. So who's doomed?

• Reply 37 of 59

Originally Posted by eric475 View Post

Apple doesn't have Jobs around anymore. Sure, Cook can run Apple well. But what's the next new new product line coming out of Apple under Cook? Nothing. So who's doomed?

Turns out that I was right to move you up a category on my list after all.

• Reply 38 of 59

Either way ... enough said.

• Reply 39 of 59
    misamisa Posts: 827member

Quote:

Originally Posted by doh123 View Post

Oh this is likely what happens:

"I'd like to return this thing."

BB - "Oh, okay, can I get the credit card you used to pay for it?"

Customers who return an item for any reason other than to exchange for the same item, are entered as "defective." Likewise customers may try to save face and say the item is defective and they just want a refund or something else. Usually people don't want to go through multiple returns with the same device, and BestBuy's "extended warranty" service bolt-on's only allow for getting a new different device if an item has been exchanged 3 times for the same reason. Sales reps usually mislead customers into thinking the service plan is a no-fault insurance, when it's not. 

Unless Samsung and Apple want to get statistics from the exact same stores from each chain, this is not a reliable number. The exchange rate for the 30 days after Christmas is likely more "exchange for credit" and less "defective returns" than it is any other time of the year. 

• Reply 40 of 59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Turns out that I was right to move you up a category on my list after all.

The truth will set you free.