Apple exec suggests new iMacs may not come till 2013

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 169
    crunchcrunch Posts: 180member
    Marvin wrote:
    I think the retina MBP is almost the pinnacle of laptop design. I wish they'd made a 13" version but I guess the Air is where they are heading with the lower models. I prefer the box design to the tapering but they'll likely all end up iPad-like.

Open me!
  • Reply 162 of 169
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Has the Mini ever been updated separately from the iMacs? Could Apple give it a refresh without any fanfare? Even though I'm interested in other brands too, a Mini with a quad-core i7 and discrete graphics card with loads of RAM would really get my attention.

They've been updated separately but the Mini update doesn't arrive before the iMac. The iMac update is definitely next on the list. I think both will be updated silently, at the same time within the next 2 months.

The iMac with up to Ivy Bridge 3700 and 7970M, hopefully the middle Mini with a 512MB 640M GT.
  • Reply 163 of 169
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

They've been updated separately but the Mini update doesn't arrive before the iMac. The iMac update is definitely next on the list. I think both will be updated silently, at the same time within the next 2 months.

The iMac with up to Ivy Bridge 3700 and 7970M, hopefully the middle Mini with a 512MB 640M GT.

I think the mini deserves a 1GB version, but obviously Apple and I don't always agree. Hopefully they don't put a 650m in the top imac. It would be a step backward.

• Reply 164 of 169
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member

512 MB or 1 GB discrete graphics on a good card would be amazing on the Ivy Bridge mini although I doubt it would happen. I am waiting for the Haswell mini anyway. By then my mini will be two years old and it'll be due for a nice upgrade in my opinion.

As for the iMac, the 680M would be great though knowing Apple they might stop at the 670M.

• Reply 165 of 169

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winter View Post

512 MB or 1 GB discrete graphics on a good card would be amazing on the Ivy Bridge mini although I doubt it would happen. I am waiting for the Haswell mini anyway. By then my mini will be two years old and it'll be due for a nice upgrade in my opinion.

As for the iMac, the 680M would be great though knowing Apple they might stop at the 670M.

These things should be expected rather than would be nice. While we can all argue whether specs matter, systems requirements for Windows and OSX systems are usually relatively similar when comparing cross platform software. When you look at software developed in house by Apple, the hardware demands are there too if you want it to run optimally. Apple has learned over a long period of time what people (often including myself) will tolerate, but tolerating silly cheap decisions like this doesn't mean you have to like them.

• Reply 166 of 169
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hmm View Post

These things should be expected rather than would be nice. While we can all argue whether specs matter, systems requirements for Windows and OSX systems are usually relatively similar when comparing cross platform software. When you look at software developed in house by Apple, the hardware demands are there too if you want it to run optimally. Apple has learned over a long period of time what people (often including myself) will tolerate, but tolerating silly cheap decisions like this doesn't mean you have to like them.

I agree with you though just because of how I live, I often set the bar for things very low to avoid too much disappointment. For a company such as Apple, I should have high expectations however because I often lack regard for high expectations of other things in life, I feel the same way about Apple. I want them to put the best of the best in every model of computer they have. If I feel they do a good job on something, I'll make that my purchase. If I don't feel it's a good deal, than I shall avoid it.

For a premium computer company, they should be the leaders and not the followers. I hope they change under a Cook leadership.

What would you like to see go into the mini and iMac?

• Reply 167 of 169

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winter View Post

I agree with you though just because of how I live, I often set the bar for things very low to avoid too much disappointment. For a company such as Apple, I should have high expectations however because I often lack regard for high expectations of other things in life, I feel the same way about Apple. I want them to put the best of the best in every model of computer they have. If I feel they do a good job on something, I'll make that my purchase. If I don't feel it's a good deal, than I shall avoid it.

For a premium computer company, they should be the leaders and not the followers. I hope they change under a Cook leadership.

What would you like to see go into the mini and iMac?

Not sure on the imac. In the mini I'd like to see better SSD prices or easier disassembly. I read about some people breaking stuff even though it's listed as user serviceable. I'd like to see a 1GB card at the very least because with common requirements for such a machine like light (recent) games, photoshop, fcpx, etc. the machine should be able to hit recommended specs within its shipping year. 256MB of vram is one of those things that annoys me because I consider it expensive enough fully configured (with keyboard, mouse display) that it shouldn't have any gotchas. The imac is flawed. Fix the design. Make it run cooler rather than frying the panel. Make a desktop system which doesn't need to be thin actually serviceable. Apple's priorities seem to be making people chase after bright shiny objects. They could focus on quality over pretty design for once. I mean they've always had their problems, but it seems like the priorities have shifted drastically toward this thin is beautiful mantra that annoys me to no end.

• Reply 168 of 169

Apple's new motto:

It's good enough...

Lol, it seems some of you have forgotten the purpose of the Mini.  It isn't supposed to be a computing solution, it was designed as a marketing solution.  How to provide Windows users a way to jump both feet into Mac OS X?  They look at the iMac's price and think, WTF, I have good display, I'm not throwing it out to try Mac OS X!  Thus the Mini, which is really just a way to demo Mac OS X and is intended to be disposed of in favor of an iMac at the earliest opportunity.

The Mini is purposely gimped, it has nothing to do with hitting a price point.  No sane engineer would design a low priced desktop computer using laptop components.  The only reason it works at all is because Ives turned the turd into a shiny bauble to attract weak-minded fools.

The iMac...sigh.  Such a beautiful display married to an inferior AIO design.  Apple couldn't even bother to put any USB ports in logical locations, it's like they never heard of a flash drive.  I suspect once the resonance of Jobs' reality distortion field dissipates, products like the iMac and Mini will fail spectacularly.  

• Reply 169 of 169
    koreykorey Posts: 1member

How far in advance does Apple announce a release date? Or is it just BAM..here it is?

http://www.papermovement.com