Bootcamp Blue screen of death

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014

Hi,

I have a 2011 macbook air i7 and recently installed windows 7 with bootcamp (60gb) for office, visual studio, matlab and a ocasional game.

it was done without pain, clean.

Having said that, when i'm browsing (IE) and listening to music (WMP) i get a BSOD after 10 to 15min of use, amost everytime. The windows copy is genuine, i tried to look it up on the web but no luck.

Is there any known problem, any way to fix it? I'm on vacation and my internet connection only works via mobile "pen" that is old enough to not work with >10.5, so i need this partition to work properly.

If someone chooses to help, thank you.. i cannot pay but if you are an atractive female we can get together and make babies. thanks. 

Aditional info: My main OS e Mountain Lion, 0 updates pending.

On windows 7, login window, the screen (sometimes) turns black but keyboard light and computer will still work, so i have to put my password and the computer will login normally. this happens when using just the battery.

more info:

Assinatura do problema:

Nome do Evento de Problema: BlueScreen

Versão do SO: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48

ID de Região: 2070

Informações adicionais sobre o problema:

BCCode: d1

BCP1: FFFFFA8104E7D3C0

BCP2: 0000000000000002

BCP3: 0000000000000000

BCP4: FFFFF8800638A081

OS Version: 6_1_7601

Service Pack: 1_0

Product: 256_1

Ficheiros que ajudam a descrever o problema:

C:\Windows\Minidump\080812-25958-01.dmp

C:\Users\Pedro Martins\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-32042-0.sysdata.xml

score:

processor:6.9

ram:5.9

graphics:5.8

gaming graphics:6.2

disk:6.9

why only 6.9 with i7 sandy bridge and ssd?

please help. it happens almost from 10 to 10minutes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    i cannot pay but if you are an atractive female we can get together and make babies.

What's in it for her? ; )
    I'm on vacation and my internet connection only works via mobile "pen" that is old enough to not work with >10.5, so i need this partition to work properly.

Have you tried using Windows 7 for a long period of time without using the internet pen? It might be the pen crashing Windows. Also, it might be an idea to run your Bootcamp partition via Parallels/VMWare so that when it BSODs, it doesn't take down the main OS. It would be even better if you could share the internet to the Mac side but I think you can only share it from the Mac side to the Windows side.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

What's in it for her? ; )

Have you tried using Windows 7 for a long period of time without using the internet pen? It might be the pen crashing Windows. Also, it might be an idea to run your Bootcamp partition via Parallels/VMWare so that when it BSODs, it doesn't take down the main OS. It would be even better if you could share the internet to the Mac side but I think you can only share it from the Mac side to the Windows side.

Yes... since the macbook air shuts down and reboots so fast it is almost impossible to read errors and BSOD. lol who would think that this would be a problem....

anyway, i was able to manage to "mind-copy" some of the text on the BSOD and surprinsigly saw that AV software, emulation software and faulty drivers were the main reason for this. So i uninstaled M.S.essentials and installed apple drivers again. AV software is not needed when you are responsible.

so far it is working... interesting :)

I do not like parallels/VMWare neither recomend it, because it isn't as functional as a bootcamp partition. there are very easy ways to share your media and documents without 3rd party software (so no need for a "big" windows partition) and windows is very fast and decent on this computer. I also discovered that IE9 only loses to awesomeness and speed (to the regular user) to safari on a mac.

i will try to learn more about this "problem" and wait to test windows' behaviour. thanks so far :)

any protips for maximum performance/best maintaince?

• Reply 3 of 10

Next time it BSOD, can you write down the information towards the bottom of the screen, under "Technical Information:" ? There should be a few lines below it that reads something like STOP followed by number hex numbers, and the name of the driver that crashed ("XXXXXX.SYS" usually). If you don't know what to write down, take a photo of the BSOD and post it.

• Reply 4 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Next time it BSOD, can you write down the information towards the bottom of the screen, under "Technical Information:" ? There should be a few lines below it that reads something like STOP followed by number hex numbers, and the name of the driver that crashed ("XXXXXX.SYS" usually). If you don't know what to write down, take a photo of the BSOD and post it.

Thanks for posting :)

I believe i won't be able to do that. why? the air shuts down and restarts in less than half of a second.

Are you looking for something in particular, any known issue?

it looks like the i7 2012 models have other problems related with bootcamp (turbo boost).

• Reply 5 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

it did happen again!

i only had a fraction of second but i catched a gt77ubus.SYS ou gt72ubus.SYS.

was it helpfull?

• Reply 6 of 10
    it did happen again!

was it helpfull?

Yes. You have some kind of modem or network adapter that plugs in to your USB port, right? Anyway, this device is USB and uses the OEM device driver gt72ubus.sys. This driver is crashing your system.

If you are not sure which device the driver belongs to, run devmgmt.msc from Windows' start menu (just type devmgmt.sys into Windows search box and press Enter). In Device Manager, expand the "Network adapters" node and double-click each adapter installed. Go to the "Driver" tab and look for the one that uses gt72usb.sys. That's the problem. At this point you do one of the following:

1. Update the driver.
    2. Uninstall the driver.
    3. Disable the driver.

There is a good chance that simply updating the driver will solve the BSOD in your case, as I found reports on the web about older versions of that driver being buggy.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator

It looks like that's related to the USB stick:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f135/mobile-broadband-option-icon-225-a-238160.html

Does the pen have a Windows 7 driver? If not, did you install it in compatibility mode?
  • Reply 8 of 10
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Thanks to both of you.

i looked it up and found a way to update the pen and even make it run under osx. it looks like the pen was considered "extint" for the carrier in question, but several emails about this problem were able to make them change their minds...

i updated the pen's firmware.

so far it works better but there's one problem, under OSX it is really slow. anyone knows why?

• Reply 9 of 10
    Thanks to both of you.

i looked it up and found a way to update the pen and even make it run under osx. it looks like the pen was considered "extint" for the carrier in question, but several emails about this problem were able to make them change their minds...

i updated the pen's firmware.

so far it works better but there's one problem, under OSX it is really slow. anyone knows why?

I have no experience with that. Sorry!
  • Reply 10 of 10
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member

To stop Windows from automatically rebooting when it blue screens, do the following.  Of course, this is in English--I assume the translation will be pretty straightforward.

-Open up the start menu, right click "Computer" and select "Properties"

-In the bar on the left side of the window that pops up, click "Advanced system settings"

-Click the "Advanced" tab at the top

-Under "Startup and Recovery" click "Settings"

-Under "System failure" uncheck the box that says "Automatically restart"

Next time it blue screens, the blue screen should stay up until you manually reboot the computer.  I don't know what Microsoft was thinking by checking that box by default.