Nearly a third of consumers say they'd suddenly be interested in a new TV if it came from Apple

Comments

• Reply 21 of 72
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Apple can always develop a number of different motherboards to offer various levels of capabilities and then OEM it out to various TV mfg to integrate into a variety of sizes, panel types and price points.

If you look at the market, 50, 55, and 60 inch TVs are becoming more popular.  RIght now, Apple just has the AppleTV which is an add-on, but OEMing a more robust feature rich motherboard, might be the better route to get a much wider market.

• Reply 22 of 72
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

I see no point to an Apple TV until they can do Super Hi-Vision panels and 50" and above.

• Reply 23 of 72
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Apple would have to really make some clear differentiation other than an Apple logo to compete in that scene.

Have you noticed, especially over the last 12 years, that Apple specializes in exactly that?

• Reply 24 of 72

Quote:

Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

I don't buy this line of reasoning. This makes it seem as if Apple come around to your home and forced you into their ecosystem with gun in hand. I have never talked to anyone who begrudgingly said, "God dammit, Apple is making me go buy an iPod, iMac, iPad and MacBook because I bought a LaserWriter back in 1993. They got me into their ecosystem and won't let me out. And I really want out. I hate them." 

People, you have a choice. If you are "forced" into their ecosystem, that's probably a sign that you "want" to be there, and like what they're offering. 

I think you miss the point though, I wasn't forced into the Apple ecosystem, but I am kind of stuck in it.

This is going to be controversial, but having looked at a colleagues Windows phone, I actually really like it, and would consider getting one when my iPhone is ready for replacement (unless of course the iPhone 5 is a big step forwards), but the thing that will stop me is the fact that I've spent a lot on iPhone apps, and have all my stuff in iTunes or Apperture.

Because of that, an alternate device would need to be a step change better than what Apple offer to make it worth moving, as opposed to the incremental improvements everyone is making to devices at the moment.

It was the same argument I had when I switched from PC's to Macs somewhere in the mid-2000's.  I was invested in a lot of PC software, but the Mac at the time represented a step change in experience vs. Windows XP, so it made the expense worth it.

• Reply 25 of 72
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    They'd [I]suddenly[/I] be interested? I'm not sure i can parse that. So they aren't interested right now by the prospect of an Apple TV but they know would be [I]suddenly[/I] interested if it [I]suddenly[/I] appeared?
  • Reply 26 of 72
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    Good news for me!

Bored of selling Samsung/Sony/Panasonic TV's. Majority of my customers don't care for 3D and demoing Smart TV features is just horrible.

I'm sure Apple could do much better...
  • Reply 27 of 72

Quote:

Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

Of course over the rectangular shape of the TV! /s

Seriously, will probably be on some patents of how signal is transmitted from 1 place to another, TV tuner internals, etc etc. No proof, but I'm sure Samsung have tons of patents on TV internals.

FRAND.

• Reply 28 of 72
    There really is only one way that I can see them doing this, and differentiating themselves in any meaningful way: Implement Siri and FaceTime into the TV. Then it would be worth a premium price. Otherwise it is just another TV out there in a sea of other competitors.
  • Reply 29 of 72
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member

The problem I have with the reports of an Apple-branded television is that most households have multiple television sets. If I decided to ditch cable and switch to an Apple-branded television, would that mean I would have to buy a set for every room in the house I wanted to watch TV?

Honestly, I would rather see a more fully-realized Apple TV box that competes with Netflix or even offer a subscription-based streaming TV services to iDevices.

• Reply 30 of 72

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyberzombie View Post

iOS-powered. Just upgrade that. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if they offered WiFi and 3/4G versions just like the iPad - and allow Facetime via the TV.

What reason is there for a television to EVER connect to a telecom's network?

Broadens their audience. Not everyone has wifi in their home. We in the US are spoiled.

• Reply 31 of 72
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    There really is only one way that I can see them doing this, and differentiating themselves in any meaningful way: Implement Siri and FaceTime into the TV. Then it would be worth a premium price. Otherwise it is just another TV out there in a sea of other competitors.

That would be cool but both are a lot more complex than what they have on the iPhone. You need to find a way to isolate the person giving commands for Siri and for the camera will need to have a mechnanical zoom and pivot (or be high enough resolution to be able to isolate a small part of the viewfinder) and automatically locate and focus on the person using FaceTime. Unlike an iPhone you could be sitting above, below, to the left right, or a few feet to more than a dozen feet from the set. All that strikes me as a huge problem to overcome and even if you do it still doesn't deal with the fundamental reasons why TV sets and content is such a hassle.
  • Reply 32 of 72
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Cyberzombie View Post

Broadens their audience. Not everyone has wifi in their home. We in the US are spoiled.

So they can watch TV for one hour a month. Great.

• Reply 33 of 72
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member

Not I. An Apple TV box maybe... an Apple televison, no! I don’t want some hulking thing in my life. I used to use my iMac as a TV, but now I’ve moved to an Air. My TV is now a projector—they’ve gotten cheap—and that’s how it will stay. So I hope, if Apple does something great with TV, that they still offer a standalone box!

• Reply 34 of 72
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member

If I answered in the survey, I would say yes to an Apple TV at any price just because I would like to see Apple do one.

• Reply 35 of 72
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Have you noticed, especially over the last 12 years, that Apple specializes in exactly that?

I was just remarking that the way TVs are currently sold is not conducive to Apple being able to demonstrate the unique features that would be necessary to differentiate themselves.

The last time I looked at TVs in the BB Store some were mounted on the wall perhaps 8-10 ft above eye level. Something will have to change about that environment to demonstrate things like Siri or aTV Internet connectivity which likely will be part of Apples unique offering. I just think people go to a store like that and they cannot properly evaluate the various models and just end up choosing by brand name recognition and price. Although Apple has the brand recognition, the price is likely to be higher than some others and the difference will be difficult to notice if it is mounted up high on some wall.

• Reply 36 of 72

Quote:

I was just remarking that the way TVs are currently sold is not conducive to Apple being able to demonstrate the unique features that would be necessary to differentiate themselves.

The last time I looked at TVs in the BB Store some were mounted on the wall perhaps 8-10 ft above eye level. Something will have to change about that environment to demonstrate things like Siri or aTV Internet connectivity which likely will be part of Apples unique offering. I just think people go to a store like that and they cannot properly evaluate the various models and just end up choosing by brand name recognition and price. Although Apple has the brand recognition, the price is likely to be higher than some others and the difference will be difficult to notice if it is mounted up high on some wall.

I think Apple would just simply integrate the TV into their existing Best Buy Apple section. I have been to several Best Buy stores and most of them have a large monitor built into the Apple display. They could just replace that monitor with an Apple TV which would isolate it from the rest of the TV's, letting it stand on its own in a more controlled environment.

And my 5 year old Sony XBR series could really use an upgrade in the next year or so... so I am pretty excited to see what Apple MIGHT do in the near future.

• Reply 37 of 72
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member

Quote:

all tv's including smart tv's are pretty much the same. smart tv's have the same services as well

• Reply 38 of 72
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

I can see how a new Apple TV box that includes a full iOS experience optimized for the TV could be a big hit. But much harder to see how they could compete in the actual TV display market.

You can already download 3rd party apps that control DirecTV from your iphone via wifi. Maybe they can take that a step further and make a really easy to use universal remote app. But really just being able to have an Xbox live type experience where you can play the same game on your iPhone, iPad, then continue the game on your Apple TV would be a big hit. We already got a taste of that with Airplay and iOS 5, but they could take that to a whole new level. The one thing I love about the PS3 controllers is how responsive and sturdy they are. I assume Xbox are the same. Using your iPhone or iPad to control the Apple TV is a great option but I would also love to see a remote controller along the lines of the PS3 as a secondary option which would be great for games especially multiplayer with several people playing at once. Not to mention kids, pets, being dropped a lot and all the other hazards that come along with a often used remote. WIth The Xbox, PS3, and Wii getting long in the tooth, now would be a great time to introduce a more robust Apple TV that can tap into the huge iPad app market already available. 

• Reply 39 of 72
    elmsleyelmsley Posts: 120member

People are suddenly interested in ____ if it came from Apple.  (Fill blank with anything).

• Reply 40 of 72
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MojoRisinSD View Post

And my 5 year old Sony XBR series could really use an upgrade in the next year or so... so I am pretty excited to see what Apple MIGHT do in the near future.

I have a 5 year old 42" Sony, I think it might be the XBR. Whatever was the top of the line at that time. It is still working fine, looks great. sounds great, no issues. I would be hard pressed to justify replacing it. I really don't want a larger TV either. I suppose I could put that one out in the garage, since I did wire for it and installed backing for a wall mount out there. I don't think it would get much use since I'm not working on any motor projects right at the moment but that is the only other place I have that I can put a TV that size. I already have smaller full 1080 HD in the bedrooms and the kitchen. If Apple does release a TV I am definitely not a first day early adopter.