Conan O'Brien draws attention to Apple vs. Samsung dispute in video parody

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Comedian Conan O'Brien opened his monologue last night with a video spoof of the Apple vs. Samsung dispute, bringing even more publicity to the case that has already been deemed the "patent trial of the decade."

Introducing the video, O'Brien said, "Apple is claiming Samsung copied iPhone technology to market it's own products. Well Samsung's vice president of electronics has already released a video that's defending his company."

The video short introduces an executive who states Samsung is "vigorously denying" allegations that Samsung copied Apple's technology, portraying side by side photos of the iPhone and iPad next to Samung devices and saying they are "not even close!" to audience laughter.

"It's not just electronics. Samsung's originality is also on display in our home appliances," the executive says as he peels off his suit jacket to reveal jeans, a black turtle neck and the round glasses worn by Apple's late founder Steve Jobs.

He then directs attention to Samsung's "Macrowave oven," a "Vac Pro" and a front loading "iWasher" with a giant iPod-like scroll wheel control.

"Don't believe me?" the Jobs impersonator asks. "Then come to our retail stores where you can talk more about our products with a Samsung Smart Guy," with a depiction of a blue shirted retail associate wearing an iconic lanyard.

The presenter next jumps into character playing Apple's British chief designer Jonathan Ivy, who describes Samsung as inspired by its founder "Stefan Jobes," before a "Samsapple" logo fades in ad the slogan "Think Slightly Different' appears.

O'Brien's show has previously aired spoofs poking fun at Apple's introduction of iPad 2 and controversy surrounding the release of Final Cut Pro X.

Few consumer electronics products are well recognized enough to serve as mainstream parody material, but Apple's Macs, iPods, iPhone and iPad have been regularly spoofed by late night comics and in shows such as "Saturday Night Live," providing millions of dollars worth of free advertisement for Apple.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

And now the uninformed public is on Apple's side.

• Reply 2 of 43
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Comedian Conan O'Brien opened his monologue last night with a video spoof ....

Yawn.  When will Conan find a joke that's actually funny or at least original again?  

• Reply 3 of 43
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Too funny...maybe they should show that a the trial!!  hehe /s

• Reply 4 of 43

Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

Too funny...maybe they should show that a the trial!!  hehe /s

I'd rather these guys take a crack at it… 

• Reply 5 of 43
    adamiigsadamiigs Posts: 355member

Big points for MST3000 reference!

(mystery samsung theater)?

• Reply 6 of 43

Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

Mocking Samsung Tremendously 3000 (times)

• Reply 7 of 43
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    The impersonator should have been wearing blue jeans not black jeans if he was trying to be Steve.
  • Reply 8 of 43
    They should just admit this spoof into court for a laugh. Will never happen of course.
    Too bad about that whole Tonight Show business. Jay Leno realized too late that it wasn't Jay Leno that was drawing audiences to his shows, called in some favors and Conan took one for the team.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

Mystery Science Theater. . . LOL

• Reply 10 of 43
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Yawn.  When will Conan find a joke that's actually funny or at least original again?  

Lighten up, Francis. That was pretty funny. Especially the shot out to Jony Ive ;)

• Reply 11 of 43
    Haha . . They took my fake name. Lol.

These always seem quite popular as I always see his bits hitting the news whenever they make an apple reference.

I find it refreshing that this time they are actually making a spoof that defends apple.

Although that really means nothing, as the show only goes to which ever side the funnier joke is.

Before this over, it's very possible they will make another sketch that will make fun of Apple again. When the verdict lands, be assured of it.
  • Reply 12 of 43

Ok, that photoshopped photo of Steve Jobs officially puts the Conan show on my s**t list.

• Reply 13 of 43
    tooltalktooltalk Posts: 766member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

yeah, I thought it was mildly funny, but not edgy as MadTv's Apple parody

• Reply 14 of 43
    nealgnealg Posts: 132member

Very funny stuff.

Maybe Apple can play it as part of their closing arguments

• Reply 15 of 43

oh man. :B i spit tea all over my monitor once the guy in the vid starts comparing the phones. hehe

• Reply 16 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

The impersonator should have been wearing blue jeans not black jeans if he was trying to be Steve.

I think they were trying to strike a sweet spot between Steve and Tim's attire. :)

• Reply 17 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidod315 View Post

Ok, that photoshopped photo of Steve Jobs officially puts the Conan show on my s**t list.

Don't worry, I think iOS 6 will come with a sense of humor app that you can install, so you can lighten up.

• Reply 18 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidod315 View Post

Why?

• Reply 19 of 43
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

yeah, I thought it was mildly funny, but not edgy as MadTv's Apple parody

'Apple' parody?  You might want to watch it again...

• Reply 20 of 43
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

If they were copying Apple, the founder's name would've been Steve Jobs, not Stefan Jobes. Only in Apple's world is 'Stefan Jobes' the same as 'Steve Jobs'. 

Also, Samsung phones have that gray border. If Samsung phones were copying Apple's, they'd have an Apple log on the back and not say 'Samsung'. Now THAT would be copying.