Conan O'Brien draws attention to Apple vs. Samsung dispute in video parody

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

If they were copying Apple, the founder's name would've been Steve Jobs, not Stefan Jobes. Only in Apple's world is 'Stefan Jobes' the same as 'Steve Jobs'. 

Also, Samsung phones have that gray border. If Samsung phones were copying Apple's, they'd have an Apple log on the back and not say 'Samsung'. Now THAT would be copying. 

• Reply 22 of 43

Were I a Samsung attorney who had seen the Conan spoof, I suppose I'd think seriously about settling. A spoof works because the average Joe "gets it." With a jury composed of 'normal' people, I'd think they could only see it in simple terms which ratify the insights of the spoof. Unless, of course, there is some slick "reasonable doubt" argument to be made by Samsung.

• Reply 23 of 43

Conan still has a show? I gave up on his show after his second year. It just wasn't funny often enough to keep me coming back. He does come up with funny bits at times. This one wasn't that funny. As usual I smiled a little bit with the hope that I would laugh, but it didn't happen.

• Reply 24 of 43
    djkikromedjkikrome Posts: 189member

Quote:

If they were copying Apple, the founder's name would've been Steve Jobs, not Stefan Jobes. Only in Apple's world is 'Stefan Jobes' the same as 'Steve Jobs'. 

Also, Samsung phones have that gray border. If Samsung phones were copying Apple's, they'd have an Apple log on the back and not say 'Samsung'. Now THAT would be copying. 

Look at the scribe article again, it was one of the corrections for improvement that was listed in the pages.  You have to read all 250+ pages though because I can't remember which page it was on.

• Reply 25 of 43
    waverunnrwaverunnr Posts: 120member

They were talented enough to take two seemingly unrelated things (tech and politics) and weave them into one very hilarious sketch.  

SMadTV >>>>> SNL

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

yeah, I thought it was mildly funny, but not edgy as MadTv's Apple parody

• Reply 26 of 43
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post

Were I a Samsung attorney who had seen the Conan spoof, I suppose I'd think seriously about settling. 

I think if Samsung sees it, they'll seriously start trying to pattern their advertising after it.

Don't give them any ideas (and then they won't have any...)

• Reply 27 of 43
    tooltalk wrote: »

yeah, I thought it was mildly funny, but not edgy as MadTv's Apple parody http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw2nkoGLhrE

Nobody beats the official Apple parody of Steve:
  • Reply 28 of 43
    radarradar Posts: 271member

Nice one.

• Reply 29 of 43
    radarradar Posts: 271member

Quote:

Please say you ARE being ironic, or something...
  • Reply 30 of 43
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    jd_in_sb wrote: »
    The impersonator should have been wearing blue jeans not black jeans if he was trying to be Steve.

No - that would be counterfeiting.
  • Reply 31 of 43

Really? I love MadTV but that skit was stupid. It might have been funny had it had any resemblance to Apple's keynotes but nope, it was just so lame.

Conan's made me laugh. This skit made me cringe. Too over the top. No subtlety.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

yeah, I thought it was mildly funny, but not edgy as MadTv's Apple parody

• Reply 32 of 43
    dbvapordbvapor Posts: 33member

Awesome!  image

(I meant for this to be a reply to the MST3K guy.. to quote Joel, "I don't know how it works!")

• Reply 33 of 43

Hilarious.

• Reply 34 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepkid View Post

Why?

Obviously on this site we're going to think Steve is a legend. The man died of cancer less than a year ago, do you think it's funny using the exact same photo Apple used on their site the day he died to take the piss?

• Reply 35 of 43
    frugalityfrugality Posts: 410member

If I buy a washing machine......they pretty much all look the same.

If I buy a TV.........they pretty much all look the same......a black rectangle, but with a different company logo on it.

Smartphones all pretty much look the same, since they're almost all screen.  GPS units pretty much all look the same, and you don't see lawsuits among them.

A tablet is a hand-held screen.  It's basically a rectangle.  Not much to improve upon, or to differentiate with.

I hope that the ruling is against Apple.

• Reply 36 of 43
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    So now I've seen the m&m commercial twice but not the content even once.

I love how much more reliable advertising downloads are than the actual content. I mean, it's clear what the priority is. I go to websites that once loaded fine until they added more advertising (like kvr audio) and now they don't work well at all on iPhone. Then there are the sites that serve Apple users quite explicitly and the pages fail to work correctly or at all on iPhone (this forum), or are so badly formatted for mobile devices as to be awkward or near useless on them (Apple's own forums), or the mobile design entirely lacks the content you came to see via some external link.

But the ads always load. Damn the content.
  • Reply 37 of 43
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by frugality View Post

If I buy a washing machine......they pretty much all look the same.

If I buy a TV.........they pretty much all look the same......a black rectangle, but with a different company logo on it.

Smartphones all pretty much look the same, since they're almost all screen.  GPS units pretty much all look the same, and you don't see lawsuits among them.

A tablet is a hand-held screen.  It's basically a rectangle.  Not much to improve upon, or to differentiate with.

I hope that the ruling is against Apple.

I've owned several washing machines they all looked different, mainly the control panel and door design.

The last crappy Samsung one I had had some Ag+ silver wash thing, it didn't stop it breaking down after less than two years, I replaced that junk with another brand when I found it cost only a little bit more than fixing the Samsung.

I've got several TV's they all look different even the wall mounted one's which have the distinctive stands removed, silver trims, black trims, control locations, indicator lights.

Smartphone's too have distinctive designs, HTC One X, Nokia Lumia, Sony Experia all are distinctive.

The only ones that are the same are Samsung phones and Apple iPhones where every day more and more evidence emerges that this "blurring" of design ideas was a deliberate ploy.

• Reply 38 of 43
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    davidod315 wrote: »
    Obviously on this site we're going to think Steve is a legend. The man died of cancer less than a year ago, do you think it's funny using the exact same photo Apple used on their site the day he died to take the piss?

I don't see what the issue is. Parody is fair game - both legally and ethically. Of course, it helps if it's actually funny, but that's a separate issue.

And what picture would they use for a parody? The most famous one / most easily recognized one.

Some people are just too easily offended.
  • Reply 39 of 43
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidod315 View Post

Which was also the picture on the cover of his biography.  It isn't exactly sacred dude, it's a completely commercialized picture.  Relax.  Also, they are making fun of Samsung, not of Steve.

• Reply 40 of 43
    inkswampinkswamp Posts: 337member

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidod315 View Post

Geez. You're taking a simple joke way too seriously.

If you really admire Steve Jobs (i.e., his philosophy and way of viewing the world and not just his public image) then you should sit back and relax and stop treating him like a sacred cow. I can't speak for the man, but from what I've read of him, I suspect he'd really dislike the kind of knee-jerk reaction you're having.