Google says voice is the future of web search, introduces Siri-like app for iOS

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Google told reporters today that the future of web search looks identical to Apple's Siri, admitting, "if we are going to build the search of the future, we will have to solve difficult technology issues like speech recognition and natural language."

In a presentation to the media, Google noted that it current services 100 billion queries per month. However, it noted that the future of search will be based on context, not on queries.

To achieve that, Google will need to follow the lead of Apple's Siri, which was designed to figure out the question users were posing, rather than simply finding potential answers to property formed questions.

After Apple introduced Siri as a feature on the iPhone 4S last fall, observers began to realize that if Apple fields users' questions directly, it can replace Google as the middleman for all sorts of information that Google currently monetizes with paid search results.

Apple's Siri also integrates in particular with services like Yelp and Wolfram Alpha, which provide information on local businesses and general knowledge in ways that cut Google out of the picture entirely.

Google added voice-based question and answer services to Android 4.1, but the race to add new features to the Android platform is complicated by the fact that new versions have very slow adoption, in large part because Google's partners have little incentive to provide updates to their customers.

According to Google's own data from August 1, only 0.8% of Android users visiting its Google Play app market are on the latest Android 4.1 "Jelly Bean" release.

A full 80 percent of the active user base are suck with a version of Android 2.x, which came out 2010.

In contrast, Apple just noted that 80 percent of iOS users are running the latest iOS 5. Apple has also sold more Siri-capable iPhone 4S units than all of its previous generation of iPhone combined.

To get its own Siri-like features in front of users, Google will be releasing its Voice Search" feature for iOS as a third party app "within the next couple of days," noting that it submitted the app "a week or so" ago.

The app appears nearly identical in appearance to Siri (above), something that could trigger issues with Apple approving the title in the App Store.

Apple could also refuse to approve the app under its policy of blocking third party apps that substantial replace existing bundled apps, something the company says it does to avoid "user confusion."

Apple previously held up approval of Google Voice for over a year, and kept Google's Latitude friend finder app in limbo for two years as it considered the features. This left Google to rely upon web app alternatives to native titles in the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 163
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

There's not a single microphone on the face of the planet that looks different. Nope. Google had to use that icon.

Also, it's just Samsung that copies. Regular Android and the stuff Google does aren't copies at all.

• Reply 2 of 163
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Wasn't Google's response when Siri was introduced that having a voice assistant was the wrong approach for mobile phones? Isn't this exactly what their appt is?

And why on earth would someone using an iPhone opt for a third party app that offers nothing new over the integrated iOS functionality? Talk about a waste of time ...
  • Reply 3 of 163

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

And why on earth would someone using an iPhone opt for a third party app that offers nothing new over the integrated iOS functionality?

It probably works on the 3GS, 4, and first- and second-gen iPads.

• Reply 4 of 163
    sleepy3sleepy3 Posts: 244member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

There's not a single microphone on the face of the planet that looks different. Nope. Google had to use that icon.

Also, it's just Samsung that copies. Regular Android and the stuff Google does aren't copies at all.

uhhh, that icon was used since BEFORE siri. Ever heard of voice actions? Yep, same mic. Been using that mic FOR YEARS.

But of course, all you are aware of is Apple products, therefore would not be aware of that and would assume everything apple does, Apple does first. 

Hope you don't go saying Samsung is following Apple by increasing the size of their phone screens next year. 

• Reply 5 of 163
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

A full 80 percent of the active user base are suck with a version of Android 2.x, which came out 2010.

That's a mean thing to say about them.
  • Reply 6 of 163

Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post

uhhh, that icon was used since BEFORE siri. Ever heard of voice actions? Yep, same mic. Been using that mic FOR YEARS.

They've also been using the same AI-based OS actions engine for years, have they? I thought so. 

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

That's a mean thing to say about them.

Think of it as user base of phones, not the people themselves. image

• Reply 7 of 163
    rumpelsrumpels Posts: 28member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Google added voice-based question and answer services to Android 4.1, but the race to add new features to the Android platform is complicated by the fact that new versions have very slow adoption, in large part because Google's partners have little incentive to provide updates to their customers.

The app appears nearly identical in appearance to Siri (above, a photo published by The Verge), something that could trigger issues with Apple approving the title in the App Store.

Ohh Google. If you only would had dedicated your time in the past 5 years to just building a better search you wouldn't be now behind Apple at your own thing, which IS search. But no, you had to dedicate yourself to IMITATE. Imitate a mobile OS, imitate the features of that mobile OS, imitate the icons of the mobile OS. Now you are behind on Maps and, probably in the near future, search. As long as you keep imitating, you will always be behind, even on what you do best -for now-.

• Reply 8 of 163

Quote:

And why on earth would someone using an iPhone opt for a third party app that offers nothing new over the integrated iOS functionality? Talk about a waste of time ...

Surely you are aware that Google Now is MUCH more than just question and answer. It actually gives you information without you having to ask since it understands what you like, where you work, where you drop off your kids, your fav team, where you live, what bus you take, what train you take....it KNOWS you. 

Of course, some people have privacy issues with it, obviously, but its opt in. You can choose to ask siri about the same thing everyday, if the train is on time, what the weather is, who won the game, etc

OR you can have Google Now give you these things automatically without you doing a thing. 

Well....that is if the google search feature is Google Now functionality, and not just search functionality. If it is just search, well then yeah, i see your point. The only advantage would be speed, as many youtube tests have shown Google voice search is faster and more natural sounding. 

• Reply 9 of 163
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Quote:

I suppose they could have used a sunflower. . .

Anyway, they've been using the same general "microphone" symbol to designate voice search for quite awhile AFAIK. It's the same as the one Chrome uses. Not unlike showing a handset for phone calls or a letter for email, it's just the natural symbol to use isn't it? It's certainly not identical to Apple's.

• Reply 10 of 163

another hit to inovator Apple

• Reply 11 of 163
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

I use voice extensively on my 4S. I dictate around 80% of all my texts for example out of about 2,000 on average a month. And I use Siri for a lot of requests like reminders, to call or text someone. So I would love another app on my iPhone to extend voice features especially for things Siri is not very good at searching. I hope this gets approved soon and Apple doesn't do what they did with stalling the Google Voice app because of "confusion". 

• Reply 12 of 163
    vaelianvaelian Posts: 446member

While I'm as much of an Apple fag as it gets, I'm glad to see Google interact with third parties and hope that the app doesn't get rejected, it just sucks that they're only realizing the potential now that Apple is finally disconnecting from them rather than before launching Android.  An Apple-Google partnership could have done wonders for both companies.

• Reply 13 of 163

Quote:

They've also been using the same AI-based OS actions engine for years, have they? I thought so. 

Since i don't work for them, I wouldn't know. But seeing as I responded to your comment about the mic, i don't see how it is relevant. 

That's like saying that me bringing up "Sure, and Apple had 4-inch screens on their phones for years right"

Or "And apple had drop down menus on their phones for years"

Or "And Apple had multi-tasking for years"

Or "And Apple did maps for years"

Or" And Apple had NFC for years"

Or "And Apple had burst shot camera modes for years"

Or "And Apple had 4G LTE for years"

But I don't see what it would have to do with a post made by a forum member about a MIC. 

• Reply 14 of 163

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

According to Google's own data from August 1, only 0.8% of Android users visiting its Google Play app market are on the latest Android 4.1 "Jelly Bean" release.

In contrast, Apple just noted that 80 percent of iOS users are running the latest iOS 5.

One of the many reasons I love Apple. I have a 3gs (still rocks) and even though I can't use features like Siri it still feels as fresh as the day I got it because I am able to run iOS 5 and the majority of features on it. Also speaks to the quality of Apple's hardware that the screen is majorly cracked but still functions perfectly.

• Reply 15 of 163
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Quote:

They aren't using a Siri imitation now. Google's implementation isn't AI based, and at least with the Android version the recognition is done on the handset without a need for a network connection. Of course that's not of any benefit if the results you need are only available on the web.

In any event Apple and Google are using two different approaches to voice recognition and search, even tho they may accomplish some of the same tasks.

• Reply 16 of 163

Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

An Apple-Google partnership could have done wonders for both companies.

It's a real shame Google had to stab Apple in the back twelve thousand times, isn't it?

• Reply 17 of 163
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member

Quote:

Wasn't Google's response when Siri was introduced that having a voice assistant was the wrong approach for mobile phones? Isn't this exactly what their appt is?

Because....Apple bought Siri and then neutered it to only work on the iPhone 4S. So perhaaaaaps....someone who is using a 3GS or iPhone 4 might have use of the program....Hardly a waste of time. 

• Reply 18 of 163
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Google says voice is the future of web search

. . . after Apple shows everyone how it's the future of everything else. 

• Reply 19 of 163

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victor Sald View Post

another hit to inovator Apple

Yeah, what's next? 

They gonna start making 7 inch tablets to compete with the ipad mini which came first?

Or are they gonna make a 4-inch screen to compete with the iphone 5, which had the big screen first?

Or are they gonna make a TV to compete with the iTV, which came first?

All great Apple products which were ripped off by Google and their partners using and their time machine. image

• Reply 20 of 163

Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post

All great Apple products which were ripped off by Google and their partners using and their time machine. image

Stop playing dumb. You'd think after 200+ posts you'd realize you probably don't belong here.