Half of the TV audience mistook Samsung Galaxy Tab for iPad in ads

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Samsung struggled to market its Galaxy Tab as distinct from the iPad, noting in internal documents that over half of viewers seeing its TV commercials assumed the ad related to Apple's iconic iPad.

Only 16 percent of viewers observing Samsung's TV commercials realized it was a Samsung product, according to an internal report the company commissioned, and which has been submitted as evidence in its trial with Apple.

"Given Apple's already strong position in the tablet category," Samsung's report stated, "it is critical that attribution of [Galaxy] Tab communications improve and that communication works to differentiate Tab from iPad."

The report also highlighted that "only 11 percent of customers are aware of and can link the Galaxy Tab back to Samsung, while 65% of consumers are aware and can like the iPad back to Apple."

Samsung's survey also noted that primary reason consumers were reporting for why they weren't considering the Galaxy Tab was "lack of awareness of the product," and noted that "TV advertising has had minimal impact primarily because of misattribution."

Piggybacking on Apple's ads

Apple's top marketing executive Phil Schiller had earlier noted in his trial testimony the difficulty in reaching customers with memorable messages in TV and billboard advertising because of the limited attention devoted to advertising and brief appearance marketing has to make an impression.

"Customers only get a glimpse of the product," Schiller noted, explaining that Apple had spent $149.5 million marketing the iPad in 2010 alone.

"The advertisement has to give you a sense of how it might work, and what it might do for you before you have a chance to head to the store and try it yourself," Schiller said. The ads ?create a reason that you might want a tablet in your life."

Schiller noted ?now when someone comes up with a product that copies that design and copies that marketing, then customers can get confused on whose product is whose," describing such copying as "stealing all the value we?ve created.?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 162
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

"No, these numbers are lies. This didn't happen. I don't care what Samsung themselves are saying; they're lying. No one over two years old could ever possibly confuse a Samsung tablet with an iPad."

• Reply 2 of 162
    pujones1pujones1 Posts: 222member
    Amazing. The longer this goes on the more it shows that Samsung intentionally copied aspects of Apple products to sell their products. Add that to the destruction of documents and damning testimony of one of their own..........
  • Reply 3 of 162

Now, did I get this right? Samscum makes an identical looking product and then advertises it is a similar way to Apple, and then complains that people can't tell the difference?

• Reply 4 of 162
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...while 65% of consumers are aware and can link the iPad back to Apple."

Are you telling me 35% of consumers don't know what an iPad is and who makes it? What dark bottomless cave are these people living in?

• Reply 5 of 162

Well there's the other side of the coin Samsung. If your products look 99% like your competitor's, you're indirectly promoting your competitors product. Good jerb! ;)

• Reply 6 of 162
    tooltalktooltalk Posts: 766member

eh? This sounds a bit crazy..  So after $1.1+ billion in marketing between 2008-2010, 35%, or 1/3, of consumers still can't link it back to Apple? 

• Reply 7 of 162

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Are you telling me 35% of consumers don't know what an iPad is and who makes it? What dark bottomless cave are these people living in?

Retirement homes.

• Reply 8 of 162
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"No, these numbers are lies. This didn't happen. I don't care what Samsung themselves are saying; they're lying. No one over two years old could ever possibly confuse a Samsung tablet with an iPad."

I never really saw it your way until now!  Since "half" of viewers "assumed" it was "related" to the iPad.. that probably means they turned off/away and missed the part where Samsung's name is on the ad.  They then proceeded to march down the local best buy and pick up a Samsung tablet.  They probably missed the fact that it was the wrong brand and wrong name because they picked from a floor display and didn't care to turn it on or look at the back of it.  Nevermind the wrong branding on the box or the product itself.  You can't expect a human being to really pay attention to things like colors, sizes and words.  This is the nail in coffin for Samsung.. for sure.

• Reply 9 of 162
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    tooltalk wrote: »
    eh? This sounds a bit crazy..  So after $1.1+ billion in marketing between 2008-2010, 35%, or 1/3, of consumers still can't link it back to Apple? 

Remember 50% of the population have an IQ <100. It's pretty good that the number is not worse!
  • Reply 10 of 162
    mugzymugzy Posts: 38member

I was telling someone about how I use the Square app and dongle to accept payments and she said "oh good, I have an iPhone", which she pulled out of her purse.

"Uh, no" I said "You have a Android phone"

She made a confused face.

"but that's fine" I said "They have an Android app too"

then she made a happy face.

another story: daughter in law can't wait to show us the new iPad she found for $299

"That's not an iPad"

her: "oh, well I can use it for email and stuff right?"

I expect this happens a lot as iPhone and iPad become generic terms like Kleenex.

these people are real, they are out there, they vote too, drive cars, have jobs.

• Reply 11 of 162
    65c81665c816 Posts: 136member

Isn't that a good thing?  To have Samsung run ads for Apple?  Saves some marketing dollars image

• Reply 12 of 162
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    cory bauer wrote: »
    <span style="background-color:rgb(242,242,242);font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:14px;line-height:21px;">Are you telling me 35% of consumers don't know what an iPad is and who makes it? What dark bottomless cave are these people living in?</span>

Not everyone is into technology as we are.
  • Reply 13 of 162
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Now, did I get this right? Samscum makes an identical looking product and then advertises it is a similar way to Apple, and then complains that people can't tell the difference?

That's about it.

• Reply 14 of 162
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    mugzy wrote: »
    I was telling someone about how I use the Square app and dongle to accept payments and she said "oh good, I have an iPhone", which she pulled out of her purse.

another story: daughter in law can't wait to show us the new iPad she found for $299
    "That's not an iPad"

I expect this happens a lot as iPhone and iPad become generic terms like Kleenex.

these people are real, they are out there, they vote too, drive cars, have jobs.

And some of them work for Samsung's legal team.

This trial is looking more and more like a farce. Samsung really has no choice but to settle - almost no matter what Apple demands.
  • Reply 15 of 162
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mugzy View Post

"That's not an iPad"

So did Samsung willfully try to confuse the market, or is the market just dumb?  Maybe both?

• Reply 16 of 162
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mugzy View Post

these people are real, they are out there, they vote too...

ha yep, and that's the downfall of democracy!

• Reply 17 of 162
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

I would venture to guess that most of those people think Apple invented the tablet, and even if the Tab 10.1 looked much different from the iPad they'd still associate it to Apple.
  • Reply 18 of 162

I'm not surprised. Every time I see that Nexus 7 ad I think I'm looking at an iPad...

• Reply 19 of 162
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    The report also highlighted that "only 11 percent of customers are aware of and can link the Galaxy Tab back to Samsung, while 65% of consumers are aware and can like the iPad back to Apple."

how facebook of you. at least you didn't say "lick the ipad back to apple". yet.
  • Reply 20 of 162
    Samsung lawyers object to this evidence on the grounds that Samsung has a strong pro-Apple bias.