Upcoming iOS 6 Passbook app showcased in real-world simulation

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
In a YouTube video released over the weekend, a mobile app services company simulated a real world shopping experience with Passbook, intended to demonstrate the upcoming app's capabilities.

Enterprise mobile strategy and app services company iOptimal employed its "Passbook App Prototyper" to create a proprietary piece of software that interfaces with Passbook, allowing the demonstrator to generate and redeem coupons. While the video basically serves as an advertisement of the company's app-building software, it also gives a peek at what real-world Passbook usage will look like.

It should be noted that Passbook operation is shown via an iOS simulator, not on the device itself.

In the video, a map-based app is used to find the nearest coupons available, in this case a $2 pizza and a half-price book discount, which are added to Passbook for later consumption. The "customer" visited the pizza parlor and redeemed the coupon by bumping iPhones, with the operation being simulated on a Mac.

Creating custom coupons and special events like a book signing were also covered in the short video.

While much of the information is rehashed from Apple's own announcement, the video is one of the first to demonstrate how merchants and customers might interact with Passbook when iOS 6 rolls out later this fall.

Passport iOS 6

Rumors have swirled regarding Passbook and what it means for iOS in regard to mobile payments. In its current form, the app is not linked to credit cards or bank accounts and merely serves as a way to organize digital coupons. The closest Passbook comes to actually carrying digital currency is support for gift cards.

In July, Apple CEO Tim Cook said Passbook was a "key" feature to iOS 6 but declined to detail the company's future plans for the app.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    jay1985jay1985 Posts: 12member

This video is actually lame.

• Reply 2 of 36
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Good luck getting their future apps approved, given that they've just violated their NDA.

• Reply 3 of 36
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member

I wonder if Applecare covers damage from bumping my iPhone like that lol

• Reply 4 of 36
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member

This app could be great for airport boarding passes, movie tickets, Starbucks, etc., but I'm not sure how much interest there is in a Groupon-junked map.

• Reply 5 of 36
    edubaiedubai Posts: 2member
    Great app but honestly i did not like the idea of bumping phones... NFC will better :)
  • Reply 6 of 36
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    how much personal information did he have to give up to his kids to get that 50% discount on the $10,000,000 book?
  • Reply 7 of 36

I'm so disillusioned by T-Mobile and the iPhone that the screenshot at the bottom doesn't even get a rise out of me any more.

• Reply 8 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Good luck getting their future apps approved, given that they've just violated their NDA.

@Tallest

If you are right, then we screwed up.  We looked at the NDA and what Apple had already shown, in terms of their screen shots and so on, and finally what other people had already posted on youtube demos, and felt that what we included in the video wasn't violating anything (except our own video making reputations, which are pretty much already nonexistent :)

We'll try to find somebody at Apple, and if this is a violation then we'll take it down.  Bummer.  We were just hoping to have fun...

- iOptimal 

• Reply 9 of 36

Originally Posted by iOptimal View Post

If you are right, then we screwed up.  We looked at the NDA and what Apple had already shown, in terms of their screen shots and so on, and finally what other people had already posted on youtube demos, and felt that what we included in the video wasn't violating anything…

Thing is, the "YouTube demos" don't count, as that's just teenagers breaking all the rules. If you've not shown anything that just Apple hasn't yet, then it's perfectly fine what you've done, but I'd be more careful about showing anything from prerelease software in the future.

• Reply 10 of 36
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I'm glad to see that is keeping busy since that Werther's Original gig has ended.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    vadaniavadania Posts: 425member
    I think this does have a possibility of going big. It would also cut down on environmental waste. Imagine if you could just sign up for stores,like popular ones perhaps, and they could just push this weeks coupons out to your phone. You always carry it with you anyway.

I really think it could turn out as a huge positive depending on how many main stream companies give out or 'push' out coupons to users. Don't want it. Shred it!
  • Reply 12 of 36
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Thing is, the "YouTube demos" don't count, as that's just teenagers breaking all the rules. If you've not shown anything that just Apple hasn't yet, then it's perfectly fine what you've done, but I'd be more careful about showing anything from prerelease software in the future.

... cuz not only is tallest an appleinsider.com global moderator (who ostensibly is therefore allowed to denigrate other ai users and post all the "noise" he wants to article threads), he's also an expert on the apple nda.
  • Reply 13 of 36

Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

... cuz not only is tallest an appleinsider.com global moderator (who ostensibly is therefore allowed to denigrate other ai users and post all the "noise" he wants to article threads), he's also an expert on the apple nda.

And if I were wrong, you'd refute it. But I'm either not wrong or you don't know yourself, rendering your post completely pointless.

So what was the point of your post other than to take a cheap shot at me, which is disallowed, about how I take justified shots at trolls, which aren't allowed?

• Reply 14 of 36
    rbryanhrbryanh Posts: 263member

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }
    I was nothing until CorpCo™ assimilated me.

• Reply 15 of 36

If only Passbook accepted Credit cards or Debit cards.

• Reply 16 of 36
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JElmore49 View Post

I'm so disillusioned by T-Mobile and the iPhone that the screenshot at the bottom doesn't even get a rise out of me any more.

My iPhone happily says T-Mobile as well. More importantly, my wallet says T-Mobile. 

• Reply 17 of 36
    vadaniavadania Posts: 425member
    And if I were wrong, you'd refute it. But I'm either not wrong or you don't know yourself, rendering your post completely pointless.

So what was the point of your post other than to take a cheap shot at me, which is disallowed, about how I take justified shots at trolls, which aren't allowed?

I think he was saying, in a rather round about way, that a large portion of your posts are short, trite, contrary posts directed at A.I. posters. Very highbrow remarks that don't usually help people to learn your point of view.

Of course if you do have a higher understanding of the topics you post against, it would be awesome if you could enlighten us.

Personally I think the add is cool, and at least this gentleman is doing something with his developer account. I've come to the conclusion that most "developers" are not developers at all. Just people looking to get an early peek at new software.

So hurray to this guy who is working to forward progress of iOS 6!

Also it seemed like everything Apple always pushes. Family using their products with their kids. That's also something you don't see much of anymore...
  • Reply 18 of 36
    raptoroo7raptoroo7 Posts: 140member

I don't see how they violated their NDA, they didn't show off anything that Apple hasn't and their are promoting an app ecosystem to which Passport can work with.  I personally don't bother with Groupon or Living Social ads, they just don't offer anything I want.  iOptimal's idea though would be of interest to me as a consumer, walking in the mall, out in town looking to get  a bite to eat.  What about people who are new in town or on vacation this is a great marketing tool and will drive business and it would seem the costs should not be too high.

• Reply 19 of 36
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    I feel like a lot of the passbook apps and functions will only be available in the USA. Many apps use location services which are severely lacking in other countries that have the iPhone. If they can make the system more universal, I will be much happier :)
  • Reply 20 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I think he was saying, in a rather round about way, that a large portion of your posts are short, trite, contrary posts directed at A.I. posters. Very highbrow remarks that don't usually help people to learn your point of view.

Of course if you do have a higher understanding of the topics you post against, it would be awesome if you could enlighten us.

Personally I think the add is cool, and at least this gentleman is doing something with his developer account. I've come to the conclusion that most "developers" are not developers at all. Just people looking to get an early peek at new software.

So hurray to this guy who is working to forward progress of iOS 6!

Also it seemed like everything Apple always pushes. Family using their products with their kids. That's also something you don't see much of anymore...

Very, very well said. I agree!!!