Square deal with Starbucks highlights Apple's push to deliver Passbook in iOS 6

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mstone wrote: »
    I keep reminding you that the original points that I was responding to is that cash will not go away until private individuals can easily exchange money electronically without a PayPal or an intermediary.

You now wrote "go away" but your comment to which I responded said "cash is not going anywhere". I read that not to mean "go away" but for their to be yet another shift in how we use money. As long as you are accepting that electronic payments will only get more substantial then we are in agreement.
  • Reply 22 of 33

Another e-payment protocol? As if Passbook, Google Wallet, PayPass, and IRIS weren't enough. (I know Passbook isn't e-payments now, but we all know it's coming). All this does is fragment the market even more and prevent us from having a unified standard protocol. Freaking Starbucks couldn't pick one of the existing somewhat established methods? I already have to deal with cash, ATM, Amex, & Visa/MC. E-payments are supposed to simplify that.

• Reply 23 of 33

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

So you're either using meaningless tautologies or you're contradicting yourself in your post. Not all currency is the same. If it was then there would be no fear of any digital transaction. You can deny it and wallow in your ludditian fears all you want but we've been steady moving toward more digital transactions for our everyday purchases and it will not stop and until as we know it ceases to exist. Don't be one of those conspiracy theorists that claim online purchases were t be Ned of days. Learn, understand and then embrace reality.

First, read what you have written.  It does not make any sense.  In addition, there are several grammatical errors. 

What the heck do you mean by "it will not stop and until as we know it ceases to exist." ?

Second, don't be so pompous.  Give it a rest.

• Reply 24 of 33
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I see nothing that Square does that Apple can't do and doesn't already have access to with their iTS accounts. I expect to see something with the next iPhone that furthers this initiative.

They aren't a bank (yet), so they still have to pay processing fees. Square isn't a wholesale processing entity though so Apple should be able to mach their processing fees easily enough.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    aaarrrgggh wrote: »
    They aren't a bank (yet), so they still have to pay processing fees. Square isn't a wholesale processing entity though so Apple should be able to mach their processing fees easily enough.

Or beat them. Don't they have 400 million CCs on file at this point. They could be the Wal-Mart of electornic payment services. To me that sounds like it would fit right into their ecosystem net.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

You now wrote "go away" but your comment to which I responded said "cash is not going anywhere". I read that not to mean "go away" but for their to be yet another shift in how we use money. As long as you are accepting that electronic payments will only get more substantial then we are in agreement.

Well when someone says something "Is not going anywhere" it is a common US English idiom to mean it is staying around for the foreseeable future. Furthermore, I elaborated at great length to support my position "cash is not going anywhere" or "cash is not going away" to the extent that anyone who speaks common US English should not be confused into thinking that those two statements aren't synonymous. 

• Reply 27 of 33
    mstone wrote: »
    Well when someone says something "Is not going anywhere" it is a common US English idiom to mean it is staying around for the foreseeable future. Furthermore, I elaborated at great length to support my position "cash is not going anywhere" or "cash is not going away" to the extent that anyone who speaks common US English should not be confused into thinking that those two statements aren't synonymous. 

You're right. After re-reading the comment you replied to I shouldn't have interpreted your comment so literally.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member

Quote:

I see nothing that Square does that Apple can't do and doesn't already have access to with their iTS accounts. I expect to see something with the next iPhone that furthers this initiative.

And Samsung would be the guys who rip off innovation from the hands of the small guy?

• Reply 29 of 33
    And Samsung would be the guys who rip off innovation from the hands of the small guy?

What does Samsung have to do with Square? Are you insinuating that by not being first to market that a competitor has nothing to add to the market or are you just insinuating that Apple, and only Apple, would be guilty of stealing from a competitor if they bring out a competing service that they built from the ground up with their own IP?
  • Reply 30 of 33
    harbingerharbinger Posts: 570member

Apple should/will acquire Square. And BTW, we should stop thinking of the card reader when thinking of Square. Pay with Square has more far-reaching potential as a social app.

• Reply 31 of 33
    rodentrodent Posts: 49member
    Check out BBB complaints about Square...there are many
  • Reply 32 of 33
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Earlier today the Electronic Transactions Association announced the Mobile Payments Committee. It's a pretty broad group of companies partnering to "help participants figure out the complex business relationships necessary to make mobile payment options interoperable; help legislators and regulators understand how to develop mobile payments public policy; and educate consumers and merchants about the benefits of mobile payments."

Included in the group are all four major wireless carriers, ISIS, Google,  Paypal, Verifone and Intuit.

http://venturebeat.com/2012/08/09/the-mobile-payments-committee-att-verizon-sprint-t-mobile-unite-for-the-future-of-payments/

• Reply 33 of 33

For better accessing, You must first obtain a token, ticket via vendors which might be bundled together with Passbook. After each purchase, you can open a pass right through the web address you been given. With respect to the electric outlet offering you this particular pass, these are generally the methods a pass is usually exposed and located within Passbook.