Apple suppliers see best July on record as they prepare for 'largest launch in history'

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A basket of Apple suppliers responsible for delivering parts for the iPhone maker's future products witnessed their best monthly sales jump last month, a trend financial experts are attributing to the ramp up for a series of new iOS gadgets that will combine for the 'biggest second-half product launches' in the company's history.

In a research report to clients Thursday, Topeka Capital Markets analyst Brian White said preliminary July sales from the firm's proprietary 'Apple Monitor' rose by an estimated 14% month-over-month, or nearly twice the average increase of 8.5% seen over the past seven years.

The analytical tool tracks sales trends across the Taiwan supply chain at leading Apple suppliers that generate a high percentage of revenues from the Cupertino-based company. It's used to augment White's own checks and research, rather than as a standalone tool, as new product launches and inventory adjustments can sometimes skew monthly results.

"This July represents the strongest month-over-month sales growth of any July we have on record over the past eight years for the Apple Monitor," White said. "[It] was well above the 7% growth experienced last July, supporting our view of an earlier launch of the iPhone 5 versus the iPhone 4S last October."

In particular, the analyst said the data is indicative of several new products that are beginning to ramp up at Apple's manufacturing facilities, setting the tone for what he calls "the biggest second-half product launch in Apple's history," and what some other industry watchers further believe will represent the largest electronics product launches of all time.

A mockup highlighting key product launches expected from Apple this fall | Source: Ciccarese Design

"With the iPhone 5 launch and "iPad Mini" on the horizon, along with the potential for an Apple TV in the coming quarters, we believe Apple's stock is prepared for the next major leg up that could propel Apple to our $1,111 price target over the next year," he added.

White, who estimates that 50-60% of all sales from the companies grouped into his Apple Monitor actually come from Apple, is also looking forward to the potential addition of China Mobile to the company's carrier lineup during the first half of 2013, "providing plenty of excitement for investors."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41

If all the rumours come to pass, then Apple will be getting $3000+ out of my pocket this fall. Ivy Bridge iMac, next-gen iPhone, and iPad mini.

• Reply 2 of 41

Me, too. I'm buying the Retina iMac, new iPhone and the iPad Mini.

• Reply 3 of 41
    jj.yuanjj.yuan Posts: 213member

I hope Apple will maintain the momentum to replicate their success in MP3 market in the mobile world. Granted it's much more difficult, but I think this goal can be achieved.

• Reply 4 of 41
    nuestnuest Posts: 2member

... and the isheep are jerking off.

• Reply 5 of 41
    rune66rune66 Posts: 45member

Just waiting for the antiglare retina Macboo Pro ... Comon Apple - Every day I see people trying to avoid the unavoidable reflections on their Mac hardware. How hard can it be to offer antiglare as an BTO???

• Reply 6 of 41
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    rune66 wrote: »
    Just waiting for the antiglare retina Macboo Pro ... Comon Apple - Every day I see people trying to avoid the unavoidable reflections on their Mac hardware. How hard can it be to offer antiglare as an BTO???

And I'm just waiting for people to stop whining about something that's not going to happen.

Apple reduced the glare on the retina MBP by a very large percentage. If that's not sufficient for you, buy something else.
  • Reply 7 of 41
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

And I'm just waiting for people to stop whining about something that's not going to happen.

Apple reduced the glare on the retina MBP by a very large percentage. If that's not sufficient for you, buy something else.

and I'm just waiting for you to stop whining about the "whining". It's a perfectly valid view. I've not had a gloss screen since, well, I've never had a gloss screen. Totally get that the overwhelming majority don't give a shit. I'll hold on to this lappy i find something that suits.

May not be a mac the way things are going.

• Reply 8 of 41
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    djsherly wrote: »
    and I'm just waiting for you to stop whining about the "whining". It's a perfectly valid view. I've not had a gloss screen since, well, I've never had a gloss screen.

The whining part aside, that Apple went they way they did with the retina is a pretty clear sign they are doing a matte screen anymore. If thats not enough for you then go buy that HP or whatever. There will be someone that will get what Apple gives them with a smile so they won't really miss you
  • Reply 9 of 41
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    rune66 wrote: »
    Just waiting for the antiglare retina Macboo Pro

Antiglare? That's already in the retina. Or do you mean matte. As noted in my other comment, seems unlikely at this point that Apple will ever go back to offering matte screens anymore
  • Reply 10 of 41
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member

Quote:

Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

and I'm just waiting for you to stop whining about the "whining". It's a perfectly valid view. I've not had a gloss screen since, well, I've never had a gloss screen. Totally get that the overwhelming majority don't give a shit. I'll hold on to this lappy i find something that suits.

I'm just waiting for you to stop whining about the whining about the whining. 

• Reply 11 of 41
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    djsherly wrote: »

Don't let the door hit you in the ass as you leave.
  • Reply 12 of 41
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member

Well we still have to see the Retina 13" MBP, a new Mini and a new iMac.  If they upgrade the wireless to 802.11ac, we would see a new Airport Extreme.  Add in new iPods, smaller iPad, new iPhones and the rumored Apple Television and that is one heck of a lot of potential product releases.  Plus finding out if they have actually kiled the 17" MBP or if it is just coming later.  That's happened before.  We know the next Mac Pro isn't happening until next year already.

• Reply 13 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by rune66 View Post

MacBoo Pro? You buying on Halloween? :)

• Reply 14 of 41
    vikptvikpt Posts: 14member

What I'm waiting/hoping for is the retina Macbook Pro 13 in this October! (as rumored)

• Reply 15 of 41
    nealgnealg Posts: 132member

Are there any of Apple's suppliers whose stock price hasn't had a big run up that are still good values to invest in?

• Reply 16 of 41
    charlituna wrote: »
    Antiglare? That's already in the retina. Or do you mean matte. As noted in my other comment, seems unlikely at this point that Apple will ever go back to offering matte screens anymore

Matte screens are best. I told an Apple employee I am waiting for the 17" MBP retina. The laughed.

Best bet is to get a last generation refurbed matte screen. Or a Mac mini with an eizo display.
  • Reply 17 of 41

Yes in the end I'll have to buy something else. But its one of the weaknesses of Apple that they can get away with a really bad "feature" because the mainstream user is so uncritical about them. Look at how many MBP's have been sold with double reflective screens that are a pain in the a.. to look at, but the ordinary user don't know better and learn to live with it.

To me glare has been reduced from ridiculous to very annoying. That might in Apple terms equal 75% but doesn't really say anything.

• Reply 18 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

MacBoo Pro? You buying on Halloween? :)

• Reply 19 of 41
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member

Quote:

To me glare has been reduced from ridiculous to very annoying. That might in Apple terms equal 75% but doesn't really say anything.

The Retina MBP removed the glass front.  Hasn't been bad when I have seen one at the store

• Reply 20 of 41
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member

Quote:

I was in this camp at one time. However, the RMBP is (barely) readable outdoors, and only slightly less so than my 17" MBP, so I'll accept what Apple has done. On the plus side, not having a matte screen means the keys won't dig into (and scratch up) the screen as has happened with every matte powerbook and MBP I've owned. For half my machines, I wound up putting on a screen protector which completely destroyed the benefits of the matte display.