New 'Burner' app lets iPhone users create temporary, disposable phone numbers

Comments

• Reply 21 of 68
    drdbdrdb Posts: 99member

Some might, but they wouldn't be very smart to do so. Probably the kind of dealer who'd believe a photocopier was a lie detector.

• Reply 22 of 68
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

The question is, McFly, whether she's going to give you her real number.   ;)

Probably not heh.  Not a big deal

• Reply 23 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsdofny View Post

You can do the same thing with Google phone for free (except that you need a new email address every time)

and the phone number lasts longer than one call...   I do do this when on craiglisting selling stuff.  A different phone for each posting (stops getting calls 4 months later... "do you still have that thing?")

• Reply 24 of 68

I would use this App if I were researching services, offers, mortgages, and when purchasing large ticket items in general.

Nothing more annoying than calling into a company, on your terms, to get quotes or questions answered.

You decide what you want to buy and from which company but for the next three months, you continue to receive calls from all the Other vendors, that did not win your business still trying to sell you.

Also,

Craigslist/newspaper ads are obvious, along with anytime you need to put your number in a public place, say trying to sell a car, house or items pinned at the supermarket wall.

This App can be very useful.

• Reply 25 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

stops getting calls 4 months later... "do you still have that thing?"

You know you can delete an ad off of Craigslist when you sell it... right?

• Reply 26 of 68
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

... I do sometimes pick up just to see if maybe I can get off their list - but no - there isn't anyone there - if you are going to spend any amount of time or money - even if minuscule - shouldn't there be even an automated thing when I pick up? 

Sorry to tell you, but the act of picking up the phone confirmed to them that there's a live body there and validated the purpose of the call.

Similar to the rule of never replying to questionable emails.

• Reply 27 of 68
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

I hate this so much. 

I hate this so much.

I hate this so much.

I hate this so much.

I hate this so much.

I hate this so much.

I typed out each of those.

This is the phone equivalent of those 10-minute e-mail signup websites. The only use for those is TROLL ACCOUNTS ON FORUMS. 

With the ability to make a phone number that lasts 20 minutes and 20 SMS, telemarketers and spammers can send as much crap as they want to as many people as they want and NOT GET PUNISHED because when you go to report the phone number to the Do Not Call list, it's not actually tied to anything, and so no one knows where it came from.

• Reply 28 of 68

Our friends at Credit Card Services should love this.

• Reply 29 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

and the phone number lasts longer than one call...   I do do this when on craiglisting selling stuff.  A different phone for each posting (stops getting calls 4 months later... "do you still have that thing?")

Sorry, already sold the kidney.

• Reply 30 of 68

A "burner" in the drug world is a separate "business" phone, usually a prepaid cellular, used for drug deal and other illicit activities that can be quickly disposed of "burned" to avoid leaving a trail.  When I first saw the name of the app and what is what used for, I was surprised that Apple let it go thru with that name.  Then again, they probably don't have many screeners who are familiar with the drug trade.

• Reply 31 of 68
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    It's funny how quickly people took a negative view to this app!

I think the craigslist angle is great.  We have a window we want to sell on craigslist and this will be great for that, for all the obvious reasons.  It also isn't uncommon for my wife and I to meet people while on vacation and maybe have dinner or do something together with them.  Having a disposable number will make these brief encounters easier as I don't like to give out my phone number even in normal situations.

Sure, it can used for "nefarious" purposes.  Maybe we shouldn't have phones AT ALL since phones in general can be used for illegal activities.  While we're at it, let's get rid of all modes of transportation (when I was in high school a kid used to sell marijuana from his bike), and maybe ban the Internet.  And TV.  The postal service.

Exactly!!

How is this any different than picking up a pre-paid phone or sim, it's just more convenient for people who might need this. And why does it have to be nefarious? Everything can be misused, why punish those who have a legitimate use for it. When I'm traveling, especially abroad, I have the need to give my number out everywhere I go, hotels, restaurants, businesses, people I meet, airlines, etc. by necessity I have to get a local number in France for instance. But the ability to burn that number at the end of my trip is amazing. Only the people I truly want to connect with then end up with a real way to contact me. There's nothing worse than Bernie the insurance salesman you met at that resort who you gave your number to to get him off your back continuing to call you for the rest of your life forgetting the 3 hour time difference in the process. Heck sometimes I give these people a fake name, To ensure they can't track me down later, but that doesn't mean I'm selling drugs.
  • Reply 32 of 68
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member

Google Voice acheives this at no cost with even more features like voice mail sent to ones's email address and people who call to harrass can be blocked.

• Reply 33 of 68
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ffurillo View Post

A "burner" in the drug world is a separate "business" phone, usually a prepaid cellular, used for drug deal and other illicit activities that can be quickly disposed of "burned" to avoid leaving a trail.  When I first saw the name of the app and what is what used for, I was surprised that Apple let it go thru with that name.  Then again, they probably don't have many screeners who are familiar with the drug trade.

Not just drugs, anyone wanting to maintain more anonymity.  Watch any police procedural on TV.  Yes a lot are drug related, but certainly not all.  Katie Holmes used 3 different burner phones when she was working up to leaving Tom Cruise so she could setup her lawyers and such w/o his knowing.  There are legitimate uses.

• Reply 34 of 68

Absolutely brilliant, Hopefully it works for Facebook. #BrokeSwag

• Reply 35 of 68

We used Edmunds a few weeks ago to send out requests to car dealers for Internet pricing quotes. 30 hours later we had purchased our car from the dealer with the lowest quote, but we are still getting calls from many of the other dealers (they can't seem to take no for an answer). This app would have been perfect for our situation.

• Reply 36 of 68
    mugzymugzy Posts: 38member

Quote:

Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

You know you can delete an ad off of Craigslist when you sell it... right?

also- when I use my Google Voice number for CL, I say you can call or text.

I rarely get calls, I get texts though.

After I delete the ad, I might get a couple of texts for a week due to scraper sites that pick up my ad from CL and then republish it, but that is about it.

plus if someone is an asshat I can block them.

plus it is free.

The pool of numbers that BURNER has will eventually get used up and then debt collectors will be hounding each one of them.

I just "added a line" to our U-Verse account and it IMMEDIATELY began receiving robocalls from debt collectors, fortunately I could block them.

What happens down the line when you pay your $1.99 to get a "new" burner number only to find that you immediately start getting texts and calls from robodialers?

• Reply 37 of 68
    alexmitalexmit Posts: 112member

This app will most likely be used for impropriety and who knows how many other destructive things. I can see benefits to it if it is being used without malice. I doubt there will be much use of the app that doesn't involve something shady.

• Reply 38 of 68
    alexmitalexmit Posts: 112member

Oh... and give me an app that will allow me to blacklist certain calls and texts. That would be useful.

• Reply 39 of 68
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

Probably not heh.  Not a big deal

Doesn't matter. I was just messin.   ;)

• Reply 40 of 68
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Alexmit View Post

Oh... and give me an app that will allow me to blacklist certain calls and texts. That would be useful.

An app wouldn't be able to do anything; just build it into the OS. Screw what the telecoms want us to do. If I want to block a number, I get to block a number. For free. And as many as I want to block.