Apple's 'Wi-Fi Plus Cellular' option in iOS 6 to keep apps syncing when WiFi networks choke

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    zorinlynx wrote: »
    This could be very awesome IF IMPLEMENTED WELL.

Sadly Apple tends to hork things up sometimes. For example, there's NO WAY to enable auto-login on a WEP/WPA protected Wifi network. This means every time I get to work I have to open stupid Safari and sign in.

I have I lot of protected wifi nets I use and none make me log in again. Your sitch could be due to how the net was set up, not your phone
  • Reply 22 of 45

AT&T will need to bump up bandwidth at their free wifi connections in order to get iPhones to stay connected now. Most AT&T wifi is only 500Kb or up to 1.5 DSL in their AT&T stores. 3G on an iPhone 4 runs solid at 3Mb. I'd hate to see an AT&T locked LTE iPhone that refuses AT&T's wifi network.

• Reply 23 of 45
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    charlituna wrote: »
    I have I lot of protected wifi nets I use and none make me log in again. Your sitch could be due to how the net was set up, not your phone

I can vouch for a similar problem due to the setup of a network. Not password but EULA in my case. Sitting in the maternity ward of a hospital here in Cape Cod waiting for our latest grandchild, I am seeing my iPad thrown off the network every hour or less and it requires re accepting the terms and conditions to get back in. The pain is Safari gets confused and I have to quit and wait a few minutes and then try to access a web site to get the redirect to the license page. This during the olympics is a real pain!
  • Reply 24 of 45
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member

Simply brilliant. I have also wanted this forever. Now Samsung's "research" team has something new to copy.

• Reply 25 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I hope this helps all apps on the phone work more smoothly as there is transition between WiFi and Cellular.

I use TuneIn Radio a lot, and typically start listening in the house as I'm getting ready to walk the dog.  I pick the local NPR station, and it plays me their standard, "this audio stream is brought to you courtesy of xyz", then starts playing the radio station.  Then, as I walk away from the house, the phone will suddenly switch over to Cellular for the data as the WiFi connection is lost, and the playback stops and plays the, "this audio stream is brought to you courtesy of xyz", message again.  The thing is, there is obviously enough data buffered to cope with the degrading WiFi signal, as I never get a loss of audio as I walk away, it just suddenly switches to cellular and reacts as if I've started a new connection entirely.

The strange thing is, on the way back, so when I get back in range of my WiFi network, it doesn't happen again.

Not sure if this is something changes to the OS could help, or if it's an inherent weakness of the otherwise excellent TuneIn Radio, but I'd love it if it stopped happening!

This isn't going to help that.

Internet radio uses a TCP connection, and this connection will break if your IP address changes. Since your IP address changes when you go from cellular to Wi-Fi, or vice versa, TuneIn has to start the stream again.

This is why I turn off WIfi if I'm going to be using TuneIn near the edge of a Wifi network. It's not worth the pain in the ass.

• Reply 26 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wings View Post

This article is about iPhones. Are you talking about your iPhone? If so, you're confusing me, cause once I log on to a WPA network I'm not asked again to provide name & pw. It just silently connects.

Here on campus, you connect to the WPA network. Then you have to open a browser and it gives you a login page. You have to accept the terms and conditions, and you're online.

Before it used to be an unencrypted network. The phone would pop up the login and accept conditions page, I would do so, and it would dismiss automatically. When the network went WPA, it stopped doing that automatically. I have to go to Safari, try to load a page, then do the login and accept.

The fundamental problem is that the iPhone won't allow you to turn on the auto-login feature (which is what pops up that page automatically) if the network uses WPA/WEP. There isn't even a toggle for it in the settings for that network.

It's stupid.

• Reply 27 of 45

If it helps tio get you off of a Wi-fi network that you're walking by or leaving that would be great!

• Reply 28 of 45
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member

Quote:

Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post

Here on campus, you connect to the WPA network. Then you have to open a browser and it gives you a login page. You have to accept the terms and conditions, and you're online.

Before it used to be an unencrypted network. The phone would pop up the login and accept conditions page, I would do so, and it would dismiss automatically. When the network went WPA, it stopped doing that automatically. I have to go to Safari, try to load a page, then do the login and accept.

The fundamental problem is that the iPhone won't allow you to turn on the auto-login feature (which is what pops up that page automatically) if the network uses WPA/WEP. There isn't even a toggle for it in the settings for that network.

It's stupid.

Again this appears to be something based on the university's setup.  Many of us have our home networks protected by WEP or WPA and don't have this issue.

• Reply 29 of 45

Quote:

This could be very awesome IF IMPLEMENTED WELL.

Sadly Apple tends to hork things up sometimes. For example, there's NO WAY to enable auto-login on a WEP/WPA protected Wifi network. This means every time I get to work I have to open stupid Safari and sign in.

If they implement this feature well, I'd be able to still get iMessages and such at work when I don't log in.

I'm confused. I assume you are talking about using your iPhone.  Connecting to the network is done through the Settings app (Settings-->Wi-Fi), not Safari.  My home network is protected and connection is automatic after the first time.  Perhaps your issue is with a password protected firewall where you work? 

• Reply 30 of 45
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member

Quote:

It's stupid.

the school set up a proxy server to host the legal agreement. it has nothing to do with the iphone not being able to do something

• Reply 31 of 45
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

I’ve wanted this forever!

Sometimes in a coffee shop or public WiFi, the Internet will just ....

I never use public Internet unless it is WPA password enabled.

• Reply 32 of 45
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member

huh, what is this wifi you speak of, my 1200 baud modem works just fine on my Mac SE30, well its a bit slow, but I have plenty of time. all this new new nonsence just makes me sick. I got a letter from my ISP the other day telling me they won't be supporting dial up - any recommendations

• Reply 33 of 45
    tortritortri Posts: 5member
    I don't think people are seeing the other side to this. If its disabled that means people with limited data plans stops your devices from using cellular data and running up their usage unintentionally. If you remember when the iPad 3 was released people with 2GB plans were running through their plans and they were on wifi when it happened. With it disabled this wont happen now.
  • Reply 34 of 45

Quote:

This isn't going to help that.

Internet radio uses a TCP connection, and this connection will break if your IP address changes. Since your IP address changes when you go from cellular to Wi-Fi, or vice versa, TuneIn has to start the stream again.

This is why I turn off WIfi if I'm going to be using TuneIn near the edge of a Wifi network. It's not worth the pain in the ass.

Apple could circumvent this by using a VPN that maintains ip over two paths.

• Reply 35 of 45
    waverunnrwaverunnr Posts: 120member

If the carriers try to charge people for FT3G people are gong to lose their shit.  Skype, ooVoo, and others work just fine over 3G and the carriers don't charge for those.

• Reply 36 of 45
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Thank god. Now I don't have to worry about AT&T WiFi hotspots hijacking my connection. You can't remove them from your iPhone so you have to manually turn off WiFi.

• Reply 37 of 45
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    nasserae wrote: »
    Thank god. Now I don't have to worry about AT&T WiFi hotspots hijacking my connection. You can't remove them from your iPhone so you have to manually turn off WiFi.

My concern is how will this work. I imagine there will be a lot of retooling the service after it goes live. I see it as one of those things that need a lot of data to sort out all the oddities in WiFi networks and their internet connections that prevent data from being transmitted efficiently.

Personally, after I found out that most iOS apps send their data unencrypted I've just been using cellular and my home WiFi whenever possible.
  • Reply 38 of 45
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

It's stupid.

That's the way the people set up their network, it has nothing whatsoever to do with the device you use to access it.

• Reply 39 of 45
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

huh, what is this wifi you speak of, my 1200 baud modem works just fine on my Mac SE30, well its a bit slow, but I have plenty of time. all this new new nonsence just makes me sick. I got a letter from my ISP the other day telling me they won't be supporting dial up - any recommendations

The Smithsonian accepts donations of obsolete tech.

• Reply 40 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhyde View Post

Wait, they charge me for the data and then charge me extra!

Tethering is one thing (which I'll go along with), but this seems really absurd.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Did you post to the right thread?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Haven't seen a thread for that post recently in this forum.

Maybe he jumped to the wrong forum??

Think this may be what he was referring to. He just failed to realize that they were only talking about charging for FaceTime over cellular (reading his post again it is possible he did realize it and that is what he was upset about).

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

It's not yet clear, however, how individual carriers will handle cellular data use for FaceTime, as an earlier finding from within the iOS 6 betas indicated that AT&T may charge for the capability, which is currently limited to WiFi in iOS 5.