Apple suppliers see best July on record as they prepare for 'largest launch in history'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    ok, i'm a bit scared now. if apple really grows that big and china mobile kicks in, apple will not be able to meet requirements to keep updating all of those products.

a product line will most likely be killed. i hope that's the ipod line and not the mac line.

however, if they really find a way to make an imac/iTv, i don't know if a mac line will still mac sense for them. i can't blame them, it's a terrific strategy.
  • Reply 22 of 41
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

if apple really grows that big and china mobile kicks in, apple will not be able to meet requirements to keep updating all of those products.

Of course they will. Don't be silly.

a product line will most likely be killed. i hope that's the ipod line and not the mac line.

That's abject nonsense. Don't worry about it.

however, if they really find a way to make an imac/iTv, i don't know if a mac line will still mac sense for them. i can't blame them, it's a terrific strategy.

No one wants that at all, though. They tried it in the '80s. They tried it in the '90s. People want their computer to be their computer and their TV to be their TV.

• Reply 23 of 41
    silenciosilencio Posts: 134member

It's going to be spending time for our household, as well. Two new iPhones, a 13" rMBP, and a new iPad. Tempting to replacing my underutilized Mac Pro with an Ivy Bridge Mac mini and external Thunderbolt storage.

• Reply 24 of 41
    Of course they will. Don't be silly.

That's abject nonsense. Don't worry about it.

No one wants that at all, though. They tried it in the '80s. They tried it in the '90s. People want their computer to be their computer and their TV to be their TV.

it is not a matter of being silly or not, it's a matter of commom sense and their will or ability to do what is best for them.

apple isn't samsung. as steve told us, there are very strict requirements for new 'top' engineers and workers. as you can see, scott forstall only focus on iOS, just like other former osx engineers. were all of them substituted? no, they weren't. the result? iOS is amazing, osx still is amazing but the big boy now is iOS.

nothing wrong with that, they are doing the right thing.

but as you can see, choices are being made and apple moves faster than what it grows. if their personal does not grow, osx will fall even more behind iOS (priorities).

the same is happening with hardware. desktops are a burden, the mbp is being incrementally upgraded but waiting for a certain and pretty obvious death, airs and retina are the golden boys. imacs? secret.

they also have their pro software front..

as you can see choices are being made and the apple of today is a much bigger and better machine than it was. a tv/computer, tablet and phone, cloud and services... welcome to your first trillion dollar company.
  • Reply 25 of 41
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silencio View Post

It's going to be spending time for our household, as well. Two new iPhones, a 13" rMBP, and a new iPad. Tempting to replacing my underutilized Mac Pro with an Ivy Bridge Mac mini and external Thunderbolt storage.

I'm glad we got 4S's in February at tax time.  Our next model iPhone should be next fall's model, which should have their 2nd gen LTE.  I didn't buy a new laptop this year and a Promise Pegasus was way too expensive, so since I already had 2 2TB drives sitting around, I bought the OWC QX2 and 2 more 2TB drives and setup 6TB of striped parity storage.  FW400, FW800, USB2 and e-Sata (using FW800 until a cheap TB to e-sata adapter is available) connection options and while yes, TB will be way faster, this is just fine for my media server :)

• Reply 26 of 41
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"With the iPhone 5 launch and "iPad Mini" on the horizon, along with the potential for an Apple TV in the coming quarters, we believe Apple's stock is prepared for the next major leg up that could propel Apple to our $1,111 price target over the next year," he added.

Not to mention the Disney merger.   That's going to be huge.

• Reply 27 of 41

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"With the iPhone 5 launch… 

Are you seriously going to… Wait a minute. Thishttp://www.appleinsider.com/topics/iPhone_6.html is the URL for that link AND YOU GUYS STILL CALL IT IPHONE 5?! SEO my foot, now you're just trying for page hits from ME personally! image

…"iPad Mini" on the horizon…

????

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

it is not a matter of being silly or not, it's a matter of commom sense and their will or ability to do what is best for them.

Right, and common sense dictates that if they need more capacity, they'll build or use a new plant. Destroying their computer manufacturing lines to make room for iPhones is a terrible idea not even worthy of consideration.

• Reply 28 of 41

Non-reflective screens seems MUCH better to me. Tell me, why doesn't Apple offer non-reflective screens on Macs as an option? The only reason I've ever seen given on this forum is: 'If you don't like it go somewhere else'.

• Reply 29 of 41

Originally Posted by dave2012 View Post

Tell me, why doesn't Apple offer non-reflective screens on Macs as an option?

Have you seen the retina's display? It's less glossy than the glossy offered in the past, and I imagine that's what we'll have going forward. They don't offer it because they don't want to offer it anymore, first, and second because eventually we'll be touching our screens. They're getting us used to glass.

I'm dead serious. I said this on MacRumors four years ago: they want us to get used to glass over our screens because eventually the desktop will be mouseless.

• Reply 30 of 41

Jesus christ there are STILL people expecting Apple to use matte screens here in the year 2012!? GET A CLUE PEOPLE! Matte screens are AWFUL. They were never a good idea. Diffusing the reflected light in a room is the worst possible way to handle it. Much better options: increase the LCD's brightness to overpower reflected light or turn the display a fraction of a degree so it stops pointing directly at a light that is brighter than it! Matte displays do not magically stop reflections, they just mask them in a constant fuzzy haze that is ALWAYS THERE.

My suggestion to the last matte screen holdouts is to actually give a modern display a chance. My guess is somehow you've managed to keep avoiding them and haven't discovered they're far far superior.

• Reply 31 of 41
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member

I'm lucky enough to be using a new Retina MBP at work and I can tell you, it's a nice compromise between the glossy and the matte. I work in an office with tons of big windows and  overhead lights and it's really no problem at all. 

• Reply 32 of 41
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

I'm lucky enough to be using a new Retina MBP at work and I can tell you, it's a nice compromise between the glossy and the matte. I work in an office with tons of big windows and  overhead lights and it's really no problem at all. 

End of thread. I never understand how people are 'waiting' for something that will in all likelyhood never come. Apple isnt going to make a matte MBP, or give it as an option on any of their lines. Not gonna happen. Continuing to bitch about it is a waste of your time, energy, and effort and everyone else's time. It will do nothing but frustrate you. If its a deal breaker just go with a product from another company. Don't worry, Apple will somehow survive. 

• Reply 33 of 41

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Continuing to bitch about it is a waste of your time, energy, and effort and everyone else's time. It will do nothing but frustrate you. If its a deal breaker just go with a product from another company.

Stet. And honestly, the people with the arguments that glossy is unusable for their occupation would be buying third-party external displays ANYWAY, so they have a thousand matte options from which to choose!

• Reply 34 of 41
    rune66rune66 Posts: 45member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

End of thread. I never understand how people are 'waiting' for something that will in all likelyhood never come. Apple isnt going to make a matte MBP, or give it as an option on any of their lines. Not gonna happen. Continuing to bitch about it is a waste of your time, energy, and effort and everyone else's time. It will do nothing but frustrate you. If its a deal breaker just go with a product from another company. Don't worry, Apple will somehow survive. 

Well you probably said the same before the HiRes MBP came out. I can accept if Apple choose not to put out a matte rmbp, but I can't accept paying 2k for a laptop that reflect my hands moving when I type. And like you said eventually I'll have to buy another product which is unfortunate since I like a lot of other things about the mbp, just can't live with the reflections (like a bunch of other people) and I did try, and yes I would love to be able to ignore the reflections, I just can't. But for that matter I can't read a book on an iPad (or any other backlit device for that matter). Good for me e-ink exists. 

• Reply 35 of 41
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

It's reports from people like you that led me to ask for a RMBP at work to replace my 17" MBP.

I'm going to miss the extra 1.6" of screen real estate (my eyes need pretty big fonts these days), but the reduction in reflected images will be very welcome. Even oriented 90 degrees to the windows, away from direct overhead lights and with a wall behind me I can still see a lot of distracting reflections of the ceiling, walls and my own face. That's with the display at full brightness. At 50% brightness the reflections are so obvious that I can't work. So I'm forced to look directly into a bright light source, something that's not good for vision yet we all do it.

My external display is matte. I see zero reflections in it, but it's all just a little bit fuzzy compared with the glossy screen below it.

• Reply 36 of 41

Originally Posted by rune66 View Post

… I can't accept paying 2k for a laptop that reflect my hands moving when I type.

Are you people listening to yourselves?! Turn your brightness up. I can see my fingers on my keyboard reflected in the frame of my 27" Cinema Display. I've never before noticed them even once until just now when you said this, and I will never ever notice them again at any time, moving or otherwise. 

Notice what I said there. THE FRAME. Where there's no light. And only the strongest direct lights can even cause reflections while the display is on. And it's not even using the softer gloss of the retina!

• Reply 37 of 41

I'm using a matte screen on a six-year old macbook pro ... so since you can't see the reflection of my finger, you'll have to imagine it.  :-)

• Reply 38 of 41

It would be so interesting to see an iMac that looks like a large iPad. Of course with an HD screen. I could careless about an optical drive myself since software can be easily downloaded through wifi.

Tine to save that money.

• Reply 39 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by down-low View Post

Matte screens are best. I told an Apple employee I am waiting for the 17" MBP retina. The laughed.

Best bet is to get a last generation refurbed matte screen. Or a Mac mini with an eizo display.

Did he say why he laughed? Man, that would be a fired employee soon if he's found out. haha.

• Reply 40 of 41

Originally Posted by imbrucewayne View Post

Did he say why he laughed? Man, that would be a fired employee soon if he's found out. haha.

Why? Apple employees can't comment on future products, real or imaginary.