Apple to match major retailers' iPhone discounts: up to $49 iPhone 4, $149 iPhone 4S

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple has instructed its retail stores to match the iPhone discounts being offered by major retailers including AT&T, Best Buy, Radio Shack, Target, Sprint and Verizon when customers present competitive offers.

Apple's publicly advertised prices for the iPhone 4 and 4S are $49.01 higher than a variety of retailers and carriers are currently offering, as the entire retail channel prepares to sell off existing models to make way for the upcoming iPhone 5.

Now, according to a report by MacRumors, Apple Retail stores are authorized to match prices when customers request the discount and indicate where they saw it.

MacRumors.com

Apart form the already "free with contract" iPhone 3GS, this makes the 8GB iPhone 4 just $49.99 rather than $99, and drops the iPhone 4S price range from $199, $299 and $399 for the 16, 32 and 64GB models to $149, $249 and $349.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

"Match prices?" *snort* "Sure, why not! We'll be selling them for even less in two months, so we may as well get some extra sales now."

• Reply 2 of 19

People whore impatient and have to buy iPhone this month can only have themselves to blame when the prices drop further next month.

• Reply 3 of 19
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Sheesh, it really seems like they may have a new model coming out soon. Why haven't we seen any rumors?

I wonder what it'll be named...
  • Reply 4 of 19
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    People whore impatient and have to buy iPhone this month can only have themselves to blame when the prices drop further next month.

And it'll be outside the 30 day return policy by the rumored announce date for "The New iPhone"
  • Reply 5 of 19
    gwlaw99gwlaw99 Posts: 134member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

Do you think the iPhone 4 will be free with a contract?

• Reply 6 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post

I'd say so.  But, "no Siri for you..."

• Reply 7 of 19

I love all the trolls! Even when Apple is trying to do the right thing by matching the price with their other retailers, there is someone here, has to comment something about it. Jeez!

Apple - I am glad that you are doing price matching! Thanks!

• Reply 8 of 19

Originally Posted by radster360 View Post

I love all the trolls!

I don't think any comment as of yet has been at all trollish. At most we're commenting on the foolishness of buying a device two months before the new model is released.

• Reply 9 of 19

I'm Italian, I'm about to move to US but damn if I am able to understand the enfhasis you all put on the phone price. I mean, it's $200$, or $100 or $50, but eventually you spend $2000+ in two years for a plan that, in any European country, would cost half than less. So, the importance of saving $50 out of such unbelievable amount AT&T, Verizon or Sprint charge is something I'm afraid I will never understand.

• Reply 10 of 19
    popnfreshpopnfresh Posts: 139member
    Price matching at Apple Stores? Steve Jobs must be rolling in his grave.
  • Reply 11 of 19

Originally Posted by bozzunter View Post

So, the importance of saving $50 out of such unbelievable amount AT&T, Verizon or Sprint charge is something I'm afraid I will never understand.

I'm in total agreement. So much so that I made a reply instead of hitting that stupid green hand.

Bah, I'll hit it anyway.

Originally Posted by popnfresh View Post

Price matching at Apple Stores? Steve Jobs must be rolling in his grave.

Done before, while he was alive. Come off it.

• Reply 12 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by bozzunter View Post

I'm Italian, I'm about to move to US but damn if I am able to understand the enfhasis you all put on the phone price. I mean, it's $200$, or $100 or $50, but eventually you spend $2000+ in two years for a plan that, in any European country, would cost half than less. So, the importance of saving $50 out of such unbelievable amount AT&T, Verizon or Sprint charge is something I'm afraid I will never understand.

Agreed. It's an utterly bogus issue.

But it seems to matter a lot to some people.... I am guessing, partly because people assume -- rightly or wrongly -- that the monthly fees (in contract) are roughly what they are regardless of handset, so why not save 50, 100 bucks....

• Reply 13 of 19
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"Match prices?" *snort* "Sure, why not! We'll be selling them for even less in two months, so we may as well get some extra sales now."

Your sarcasm seems to imply that this is somehow shameful or uncommon or less than moral?

• Reply 14 of 19
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    bozzunter wrote: »

Welcome to the U.S. ! Most Americans don't realize just how much we are getting screwed by our mobile providers especially compared to the European carriers. So when we see the iPhone price dropped many people get excited and buy one without thinking about why there was a price drop or the total cost of ownership.

And I would like to apologize in advance for what passes as Italian food at many of our restaraunts.
  • Reply 15 of 19

Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Your sarcasm seems to imply that this is somehow shameful or uncommon or less than moral?

No, that's just what I figure Apple's response was.

• Reply 16 of 19
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    applegreen wrote: »
    gwlaw99 wrote: »
    I'd say so.  But, "no Siri for you..."
    I don't think so. I believe Apple will continue offering the 3GS which will run iOS 6 -- perfect for Pre-paid as well. The iPhone 4S will be the only iPhone 4, for $99. It's possible, but not likely that the iPhone 4 may continue as a CDMA model, but at $49, so as not to unfairly compete with the GSM free phone (which also allows them to continue selling an entry level CDMA phone worldwide). However it wouldn't be the first time Verizon got left out on a deal, so it might be another year before Verizon can offer a free phone. That's what you get when you don't play ball with Apple in the first place ...
  • Reply 17 of 19

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

I don't think so. I believe Apple will continue offering the 3GS which will run iOS 6 -- perfect for Pre-paid as well.

Can't do that. The they'd have to make it run iOS 7. It barely even runs anything from iOS 6 as it is, and don't get me started on how furious I would be that a four year old device gets a brand new OS and a three year old device (MY IPAD) wouldn't.

The iPhone 3GS is dead. At least, it better darn well be. 

The iPhone 4S will be the only iPhone 4, for $99.

Though reading the above line and the one before it written in words for the first time, I'm getting mighty upset that you could be absolutely right.

• Reply 18 of 19
    popnfreshpopnfresh Posts: 139member

• Reply 19 of 19

Why would they drop the 4 before the 3gs? the 3gs has a completely different form factor, no CDMA, its more than slow in the tooth, etc. Its def not a price issue to give it away if they just lowered it to $49.

And i doubt they would go backwards and simply not offer a $0 phone with a 2 year contract. Thats a majoy incentive to bring people in, I see pleanty of people walking around with shiny new 3GS's.