Internal sales documents show Samsung has lost the war for tablet supremacy in the US

Comments

• Reply 21 of 115
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by waybacmac View Post

I'm of a similar mind. If the jury believes that Samsung's tablets are not selling, they might conclude that any copying being done is ineffective and not causing harm to Apple. Kinda like a "innocent by reason of incompetence" defense.

The problem with that line of thinking is that some other, more effective competitor could use a pro-Samsung ruling as legal precedent.

And that competitor would basically be free to copy Apple all over again because they could cite Apple v. Samsung and say "Look!  Copying is OK!"

Doesn't matter how many iPad and iPhone clones Samsung sold.  A clone is a clone.

• Reply 22 of 115
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You mean.

????

TS, why do all of your graphics show up as an empty square with a thick black border? ... this seems to be a recent change. What am I doing wrong?

• Reply 23 of 115
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member

IDC LOL!

Samsung needs to put Steve Bummer and Mickey Dell on the Board.

• Reply 24 of 115

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

I agree these numbers make more sense than Samsung's likely inflated numbers, but... if we assume it's possible Samsung lied about its original numbers, isn't it equally likely they're lying about these numbers? These numbers would be used to calculate damages, no? It also paints a more favorable argument for Samsung than, say, if Samsung really had sold millions of alleged copies, wouldn't it?

As with thieves, once a liar always a liar. And any conflicting evidence was likely "auto-deleted"...

I agree 100% ...based on their past record there's no way I'd believe anything Samsung says.

• Reply 25 of 115

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Somewhere out there, a US citizen and Samsung supporter who bought the Galaxy Tab at full price is reading this article and realising what a total fool he/she is.  :-)

I bought a Galaxy Tab for a purpose it supports, and the iPad will never support, and that's backwards compatibility with IR devices without a dongle or expensive add-on. I'm not a fool or a samsung supporter or a troll, and I don't feel like one either. iPads are just jumbo iPhones. I already have one of those. This things lighter, cheaper, and does more stuff AND lets me dev on the android platform with a cheap buy in. 

Point is, people who bought these little things knew what they were getting and likely don't feel foolish about it at all, and why would they? Because samsung stole designs? Consumers don't give a crap. 

• Reply 26 of 115

Originally Posted by newbee View Post

TS, why do all of your graphics show up as an empty square with a thick black border? ... this seems to be a recent change. What am I doing wrong?

Ah, you don't have Mountain/Lion. They both add emoji, which I use in lieu of forum emoticons because 1. there's a far FAR wider array of them for more emotions and 2. we only have one working forum emoticon.

They're straight-up Unicode characters, so they should be showing up anywhere that knows what they are. But that's the problem with using a standard; not everything supports it.

• Reply 27 of 115

I guess if you cant give them away 2 for 1 no one wants Sammy's junk

• Reply 28 of 115
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Tab sales are surprisingly low. Isn't this the tablet was was supposed to unseat the iPad from supremacy? Thats what the blogosphere had me believe. 

• Reply 29 of 115

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ah, you don't have Mountain/Lion.

Your'e right, I don't. Unfortunately my Mac is a late 2006 and can only go to Snow Leopard. I also miss out on iBooks Publisher too. .... one of the downsides to "retirement" .... cannot upgrade equipment near as often as I'd like to. ...."sigh"

• Reply 30 of 115
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Not surprised all Samesung's tablets that I tried were awful.
  • Reply 31 of 115

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

The reason the numbers probably disagree (shipped vs. sold) is that people think they are buying an iPad. When the get home and realize it's not an iPad, they return it. It's the perfect case for why Samsung's copying confuses the customers. 

• Reply 32 of 115
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    sockrolid wrote: »
    I wonder how the Android-apologist websites are spinning it.  :lol:

They're not. Pathetic hypocrites aren't even showing the stories. Guess they don't want pie on their faces. As usual, they are proven wrong on so many levels, then simply turn their heads in the other direction and hope nobody notices them.
  • Reply 33 of 115
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by amoradala View Post

I was thinking a fair fine would be $100 to Apple for every infinging item Samsung sold.

But now it hardly seems worth it !

The problem with logic like this is that it's not based on anything. You somehow believe that these numbers are entirely arbitrary. If you look at Apple's prior demands, they have a breakdown. On the issue of trade dress, it's possible that they have a further breakdown to support their requests. I suppose if they wanted to, they could work backwards to try to justify a desired number or set of numbers, but I don't think personal sentiments should ever relate to numbers.

• Reply 34 of 115
    Samsung's management has been pretty good at ducking responsibility. I wouldn't count out their legal team's ability to fabricate a get-out-of-jail-free card just yet.

If the company even remotely cared about shareholders, then they probably should not have risked getting sued in the US on the first place. If their executives (CEO, board,etc.) are truly that stupid, then they should all be rightfully canned and fined.
    So there are three options here… 

Samsung lied about the first numbers and these are legit: They'll be crucified by their shareholders, an inquiry will be raised, and there'll be a ton of trouble.
    Samsung told the truth about the first numbers and these are a lie: They'll be crucified by their shareholders, an inquiry will be raised, and there'll be a ton of trouble.
    Samsung lied about the first numbers and is also lying about these: They'll be crucified 2x by their shareholders, an even larger inquiry will be raised, and there will be unimaginable trouble.

Lately, he says… :lol:
  • Reply 35 of 115
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

This was obvious over a year ago. Android tablets are junk, and the OEMs to which the OS is whored out to don't really give a damn.

• Reply 36 of 115
    negafox wrote: »
    I would imagine if somebody were looking to purchase an Android tablets, they would have held off until the quad-core full HD tablets came out such as the Transformer Infinity.  My parents held off on tablet and phone purchases until the Galaxy SIII and Transformer Infinity came out.  Then again, as far as Android tablets go, Samsung's offerings are behind compared to their competitors.  Acer and ASUS have quad-core full HD tablets.

That's interesting. I'm fifty so I'm either as old as your parents or older probably and I wouldn't consider myself a Luddite by any means. I mean I held of until I could get an i7 iMac since it encodes a lot of video most days but right now I couldn't even tell you what the processor is in my iPad or my iPhone for that matter. They both do what I want them to do. In fact I've never heard any of my friends (in their 30's, 40's and 50's) say they're waiting for a specific processor to buy a device. They may wait or want a specific device but they have never said I wanting a Snapdragon or what have you.
  • Reply 37 of 115
    rogifan wrote: »
    I've often wondered if Apple fans flood Android and/or Samsung fan sites in an attempt to provide balance. Because lately there's been an influx of the reverse here and on MR.

Apple fans typically lead busy lives to be bothered to counter post. I left MR a long, long time ago (and never came back) since the site is obviously about inciting post counts, ad analytics and pleasing advertisers at the expense of its intended audience. It is the site for "Apple fans" such as Da Hard-on.
  • Reply 38 of 115
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I've often wondered if Apple fans flood Android and/or Samsung fan sites in an attempt to provide balance. Because lately there's been an influx of the reverse here and on MR.

a lot of people have a mix of iOS/android devices. yesterday someone i know got a Galaxy S3 and i looked at it. very nice phone and making me consider giving up my 4S. would never trade my ipad for an android tablet though. with a lot of people it seems that something expensive like a tablet they want an ipad, but for a phone they want android.

• Reply 39 of 115

No big surprise here.  Since Apple got the iPad right on the first try and has such an awesome ecosystem for it, it was always going to dominate.  It's nice to have options, but they've got such a lead that they're never going to lose it (a la MS with OSes).  Frankly not entirely sure why Samsung is even bothering to make a tablet at all at this point - they're not going to make any inroads imo.  Just cut your losses and focus on smartphones, where you're actually doing well.

• Reply 40 of 115
    jmmxjmmx Posts: 341member

"to quantify the extend of potential"

You guys need to prof reed!