Rarely-seen 1983 commercial for original Mac was abandoned for being "too self-congratulatory"

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 72
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Ryuk View Post

my point is ski or what ever your name is it a boring and a point less story...

Stop mocking me by being too lazy to type one extra letter. It is neither a boring nor a pointless story, but as that's subjective, all we can ask is that you ignore boring and pointless stuff when you see it.

I don't go on botany forums and complain about how they're boring (to me) and pointless (to me).

• Reply 62 of 72
    ryukryuk Posts: 29member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Stop mocking me by being too lazy to type one extra letter. It is neither a boring nor a pointless story, but as that's subjective, all we can ask is that you ignore boring and pointless stuff when you see it.

I don't go on botany forums and complain about how they're boring (to me) and pointless (to me)

the keyword here is its subjective and (tallest skil) ...its and open forum so i can express my own subjective point of view ... if you dont like just move on

• Reply 63 of 72

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

I had an original Mac, then a Mac Plus, then the Mac SE, then the SE HD and some others, and they all worked perfectly.   The only Mac that failed on me was a 610, in which the hard disk eventually failed, but it gave me plenty of warning (which I, of course, ignored).     I knew that if I shut the machine off it was not going to reboot.    Didn't have any backup hard drives in those days.   I went on vacation and put a note on the machine saying "do not shut off", but of course, someone shut it off.   When I came back, it wouldn't boot.    I had to send the drive out to one of those drive recovery places and they were able to get me back about 70% of the data.       

I was working for a publishing company when I got the first Mac and then the laser printer.   I will never forget the looks on their faces when I took one of the books and emulated the font style and layout on the  Mac in MacWrite and printed it out on the laser printer.     That was in the days when they still had a photocomposition machine in which you mechanically loaded font disks, typed onto a text screen and then had to process the resulting film and generate the positive text image which you would cut out and paste down.          Everyone was completely blown away -- no one could believe this was possible from this little funny box.    And then when Pagemaker came along, even in its original primitive form, that was another sign that everything was going to change.

We had just opened our San Jose store and had mostly Macs on display.  Owen Tarranta  [sp], comptroller of Adobe,  lived nearby and came in one day to check us out...  Apparently, Owen liked what he saw, because he left and returned with a [white] LaserWriter under his arm (Owen was a big man).  AIR, the LaserWriter had been shown, but was not, yet, available...  Owen hooked it up and gave us some floppies containing canned demos.

The next day, Owen sent Bob Brown from Adobe by...  Bob would sit at the Mac writing PostScript code then execute it on the LaserWriter -- printing some  amazing art, pictures, shaded forms.  Bob was a true enthusiast and spent several days showing what was possible with this amazing new combination of Mac+LaserWriter.

I got so turned on, watching Bob do his PostScript magic that I designed a Point-Of-Sale system around it using using the Omnis Database Program.  The LaserWriter would print 3-part receipts (3 separate sheets of carbonless carbon-paper).  All the Point-Of-Sale forms were stored in the LaserWriter and it was faster to print 3 sheets -- than printing 1 sheet with most of the printers of that day...  and it was damn sexy!

• Reply 64 of 72

…its and open forum… 

Nope. Private forum.

if you don't like just move on

Which is what we're telling you, and which you don't seem to get.

• Reply 65 of 72
    ryukryuk Posts: 29member

Quote:

Nope. Private forum.

Which is what we're telling you, and which you don't seem to get.

we,er its only you .... ski on

• Reply 66 of 72

we,er its only you .... ski on

Please don't do this again. The argument is long over.

• Reply 67 of 72

Quote:

That I keep hearing people say 'lost in a move' makes me never want to move unless it's dozens of trips in my OWN C

When I worked for IBM (who was notorious for moving people around) * a fellow IBMer named George Coe explained that "three moves is like a fire!".   George also advised me to assure the driver that you would reward him at the destination if he was careful --  "Didn't get your load hot"  was the exact terminology.

* my move history: Riverside, CA;   Las Vegas, NV;   White Plains, NY - Des Plaines, IL;  Tucson, AZ;   Palo Alto, CA.  (I accepted a job in White Plains, but before I transferred, IBM moved the whole department to Des Plaines).

Ha!  I am reminded that IBM flew our VW Squareback from Las Vegas to Chicago.   When we transferred from Des Plaines to Tucson -- They put my wife''s VW Bug in the van.  She dropped me downtown at the movers so I could pick up her car... It had 4 studded snow tires and it sounded a little like the floppy grinding in an early Mac -- only a lot louder.

• Reply 68 of 72

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

I think all it needs is a white background.

Here ya go:

http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/#macbookpro

• Reply 69 of 72

Quote:

That I keep hearing people say 'lost in a move' makes me never want to move unless it's dozens of trips in my OWN CAR.

Usually means its packed away somewhere in storage.

• Reply 70 of 72

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Yeah!

Our Sunnyvale store was so close to Apple and so Mac oriented that we got a lot of traffic and "extras" from the Mac team... Andy Hertzfeld would stop by when he was working on something new and give us a preview and some copies to play with.  One such thing was the "Switcher" that morphed into MultiFinder...

I no longer have any early Mac gear -- lost in a move.  I surfed for an image of the Switcher icon, but all I could find was this:

Amazing what they accomplished with square-pixel, high-resolution (for the time), BW graphics.

Ahhh! I remember Switcher. Yes indeed. And it's still alive today in OSX. Don't believe me? Open up a couple of apps in full screen mode and you can "rotate" by holding the Control key and pressing the left or right arrow key. Well, not really rotate. If memory serves, Switcher did rotate the apps carousel style. In OSX, you can only go back and forth. Hmm, I think I'll send feedback to Apple about that.

I am surprised I haven't seen any earlier comparisons of Switcher and the full screen apps behavior in OSX.

• Reply 71 of 72

Do u want a copy of switcher? I may have it on some of my 800 or so disks.

• Reply 72 of 72

Liked the post

saadepunjab.com