macbook air 11 vs 13

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014

macbook air users please vote in poll on which size mba you got and give reasons. 

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7

I plan on buying one in the near future, and will be choosing the 13". It's not quite tablet size like the 11", but the extra SD card slot and screen space is important to me.

• Reply 2 of 7

I bought the 13 for the extra screen real-estate (and the i7 CPU.)

This was back in April.  I sold it just 3 weeks later and returned to the iPad (new) for mobile use.

(Actually traded the Air for a newest model 27" iMac... that and the iPad covers all MY computing needs.)

• Reply 3 of 7

Got a question for ya. How much word processing do you use the iPad for? I'm curious about how typing long documents on an iPad would feel. 

• Reply 4 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by inhalexhale View Post

Got a question for ya. How much word processing do you use the iPad for? I'm curious about how typing long documents on an iPad would feel. 

Not that often, but occasionally.

When I have more than a few paragraphs to write, I have a BT keyboard I use.

Extended typing using the screen keyboard is slow... I can't recommend it.

• Reply 5 of 7

Gotcha. For me, if I was going to use a BT keyboard a lot, I'd just get the Air. But I also have to do a lot of typing so the iPad wouldn't work for me.

By to slow, is it a lag issue? Or that you physically can't type as fast as you like on screen.

• Reply 6 of 7

I was at the apple store up here in toronto for a looong time the other day bounces my considerations off their expert folk. After much consideration, chances are what my plan is to wait until the first week of september and get the air 13 inch. My biggest concern is it being portable as I am in university and will be carrying around my laptop all day long. I'm going into second year and I tried a different laptop ( is about 5.5 ish or 6 pounds) and from experience I can tell you if you plan to carry it around all day for school or something that 2 or 3 pound difference is HUGE. With that said, my hands are too big for the 11 inch to warrant any long periods of typing which my note taking would require. Down the road if I really need the extra power for hardcore gaming or graphics design stuff ( Which I dable in but is by no means a profession) I'll look at getting an imac once they have been updated with ivy bridge and whatever tweaks they make. With that said be careful with what you buy this or even next month. We are on the cusp of a huge line up of upgrades to be announced or released so just make sure whatever you buy is in that grace period of being able to exchange for something else should you decide to.

• Reply 7 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by inhalexhale View Post

By to slow, is it a lag issue? Or that you physically can't type as fast as you like on screen.

There's no lag ... there's just no "feel".  I don't look at the keyboard when I type... with physical keys, your hands don't drift out of position (because you can feel the keys.)... with a smooth sheet of glass, there's no way to tell your fingers are drifting without looking at the "keyboard".

I don't know ANYONE that can use the touchscreen keyboard and type as fast as with a physical keyboard. (unless they can't really type with a physical keyboard either ;) )