Satelitte photo of my house wanted

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    i can see a lovely orangish glow at night, and hear the hum of the expressway near by. i was out in the country once.......

i was scared sh*tless!
  • Reply 42 of 57
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    what's a star? I guess we don't get those things in Chicago.
  • Reply 43 of 57
    ha, city people can't take my house...too freakin quiet...not a sound at night untill about 3 am when the coyotes mate or kill something...and that is a freaky sound....g
  • Reply 44 of 57
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    hehe, not all of NM is dead g.

this is where my parents retired to in NM. nice and green there.

• Reply 45 of 57
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
  • Reply 46 of 57
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member

• Reply 47 of 57
    [quote]They said that Queens could stay,

They blew the Bronx away

And sank Manhattan out to sea...

<hr></blockquote> billy joel

[ 02-21-2003: Message edited by: superkarate monkeydeathcar ]</p>
  • Reply 48 of 57
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    damn, that last satellite photo is GREAT!!

you must have access to secret military satellites or something.

• Reply 49 of 57
    try <a href="http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/browse.html"; target="_blank">NASA Visible Earth Image and Animation Browser</a>
  • Reply 50 of 57
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    [quote]Originally posted by thegelding:

<strong>ha, city people can't take my house...too freakin quiet...not a sound at night untill about 3 am when the coyotes mate or kill something...and that is a freaky sound....g</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sounds like a screaming/howling young teenage girl, right? We have coyotes, mountain lions, bobcats, etc. here. I've seen crows swoop down on feral housecats too...

I only live 20 miles from San Francisco too.

The most amazing nighttime sky I've ever seen was on a marine biology / SCUBA diving trip to the very tip of Baja California. You could clearly see the band of of the Milky Way, colors in stars, meteorites, passing satellites, etc.

Close-up of my house:

I think my street would make a nice F1 track.

[ 02-21-2003: Message edited by: Eugene ]</p>
  • Reply 51 of 57
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member

[ 02-21-2003: Message edited by: Eugene ]</p>
  • Reply 52 of 57
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by thegelding:

<strong>EbOy...you're an aphid on a vine???

dang boy, zoom in....

i thought you were a new yorker??

g</strong><hr></blockquote>

yeah I am a new yorker, a suburban new yorker

[ 02-21-2003: Message edited by: EmAn ]</p>
  • Reply 53 of 57
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member

It's better zoomed in, but most of my house is covered by trees in this pic.
  • Reply 54 of 57
    [quote] You could clearly see the band of of the Milky Way, colors in stars, meteorites, passing satellites, etc. <hr></blockquote>

yeah, colors in stars are great...and mars is actually red to the naked eye...and i always point out the passing satellites to visiters....there are two angles in the sky that they pass by...both are visable while sitting in the hot tub drinking a beer....

house cats are ok out here...but outside cats are very temporary pets...the coyotes get them some...but mostly the owls...cats aren't used to being hunted from the sky i quess....

mighty genitals...your folks up north?? greener there...great skiing/boarding...not as dead here as that freaking satelitte image made it seem....

g
  • Reply 55 of 57
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    What fun! Sadly, my photo isn't nearly as sexy as g's.

• Reply 56 of 57
    they live right out outside of a small town called Jemez Springs.

as for your cats, you might want to throw mountain lions in the mix their. my parent's friends have lost ALL of their male cats to mountain lions. the scent where they pee smells too much like another mountain lion, so they get taken out.

not really a fair fight.
  • Reply 57 of 57
    jemez spring is tiny tiny tiny....nice nudist natural hot springs up there though....we are about 30 minutes or so from there....can see the jemez mountains from our house...they get lots more rain than we do for some reason....let me know if you ever visit them.....

as for mountain lions...when we first moved here the kids couldn't go out and play one day at recess because a mountain lion was hanging out on the soccer field....we're off the mountain a bit, so we don't have many mountain lions or bears....but in the village just off the mountain they lose more than cats...aggressive dogs are killed fairly often...probably by lions or bears (oh my)....mostly the pit bulls and such as that...most dogs won't fight a bear or mountain lion except those types (or dogs in groups)....

a neighbor almost lost her yorkie to an owl...it was out back at night taking a dump when the owl swooped down and grabbed it...but the yorkie was just a touch too heavy...the neighbor heard a commontion in back and ran out to see the owl trying with all it's might to take off while holding on to that dog....but it could only get a couple of feet off the ground...not enough to clear the fence aroung the yard...so it let go and flew off....kinda funny, but the dog had some nasty wounds that took a while to heal....owls can be pretty nasty....

i remember once walking out back and seeing one in a small tree about 10 feet from our hot tub....both girls where in the tub....so i quietly told them...."girls, i want to hold real still and not panic, but there is an owl in the tree near you....." and boom, my youngest was at my side before i could say anything else...i have never seen anybody move that fast....i was just gonna tell them to keep an eye on it and go underwater if it flew at them....

g