Alleged next-gen iPhone logic board revealed in new photos

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
New photos claiming to show the logic board of Apple's next generation iPhone hit the web on Sunday and, if legitimate, are some of the first images of functional circuitry for the much-rumored handset.

The images come from Chinese language forum WeiPhone.com (via Nowhereelse.fr) and appear to show a never-before-seen iPhone logic board with EMI shielding covering most of the internal components. The forum member who posted Sunday's images also outed the iPhone 4S' logic board last year.

Lending credence to the part's authenticity is the screw hole placement, which matches up to screw anchors seen on a recent gallery of images that combined a number of leaked external components to form a "fully assembled" handset. Nowhereelse.fr put together a brief gif animation showing how the holes and anchors align.

While the part fails reveal much information as far as the exact internal circuitry being used, the various connectors that are shown, as well as the basic layout, appear to be in line with previously leaked images of alleged sixth-generation iPhone flex cables and sensor arrays. Also of note is the logic board's shape, which eschews the "L" configuration of the iPhone 4S for a more rectangular solution. In previous iPhone iterations, the bottom of the "L" carried a Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity chip.

Logic Board Front
Purported next-gen iPhone logic board. | Source: WeiPhone.com

In comparison to the current iPhone 4S, the logic board will retain its positioning on the right side of the handset. An interesting change from past iPhones is the monolithic EMI shielding on the board's underside, which in previous generations was split into two or three separate sections.

Logic Board Back
Source: WeiPhone.com

The unit's SIM card tray slot can just barely be seen, however it is not possible to make out whether the logic board will employ the Apple-backed nano-SIM standard recently ratified by the European Telecommunications Standards Institute. Photos of what is believed to be a nano-SIM tray bound for the next-gen iPhone surfaced less than a week ago.

Apple is expected to announce the new iPhone, which is rumored to sport a larger 4-inch screen and possible LTE connectivity, at an as-yet-unannounced special event on Sept. 12.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35

Pry those heatsinks off!

• Reply 2 of 35
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    1) A couple things stand out to me. This board is dramatically shorter than the iPhone 4/4S boards. Now the phone is longer, but not by that much. I wonder if the difference in the main board will be made up by a daughter board that attaches to it to supply the various operating band and other components for LTE in multiple regions, much like the iPad has. That said, the slight curve at the one corner makes me think something round will go there. Perhaps the massive speaker and chamber rumoured for this device?

2) Yes, we all know Tim Cook said Apple was doubling down on security but that does not mean that there will be no leaks. There are millions of iPhone being made for the launch it only takes one component to be leaked to make it to the net.

[IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/10344/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]
    (click image to see animated GIF)
  • Reply 3 of 35
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Pry those heatsinks off!

Exactly. The logic board is pretty much useless anyway without the other components, so might as well rip it open to show what's underneath.
  • Reply 4 of 35

'Bout the only thing we don't know fer sure is what Apple's a gonna call it.

One month and counting and I'll have one of these little wonder's in my hands or on order!!!

• Reply 5 of 35

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

'Bout the only thing we don't know fer sure is what Apple's a gonna call it.

• Reply 6 of 35
    solipsismx wrote: »
    2) Yes, we all know Tim Cook said Apple was doubling down on security but that does not mean that there will be no leaks. There are millions of iPhone being made for the launch it only takes one component to be leaked to make it to the net.
    )

Does it really matter? Do you really think any of us here are saying "Please stop, no more leaks?"

We're Apple enthusiasts, not Apple employees, so the more leaks the merrier.
  • Reply 7 of 35
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

(click image to see animated GIF)

The part in this image is reversed (upside down) so it can't actually match the holes unless the iPhone image is also inverted (but it probably is).  I'm not doubting the part's reality, just that it seems like an incorrect image.  

• Reply 8 of 35
    mazda 3s wrote: »
    Does it really matter? Do you really think any of us here are saying "Please stop, no more leaks?"

1) Yes, I find it annoying when people take something as mundane and "we're doubling down on security" and then decide it means that no leaks will ever happen. I also can't stand the use of Windoze, Samescum, Crapple, ANAL-yst, etc. Yes, I would like people to at least try to be original in their comments.

2) I have no idea how you would connect a statement from Cook that is repeated ad nauseum to mean that those posters don't want to read about the leaks. Clearly they have some interest if they are posting on a thread about said leak.
  • Reply 9 of 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Stop! No more leaks!

• Reply 10 of 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Exactly. The logic board is pretty much useless anyway without the other components, so might as well rip it open to show what's underneath.

I would think that parts are typically counted and watched very carefully at the factory.  Perhaps the thief has to return it intact in the morning so no one knows he stole it?   

• Reply 11 of 35
    solipsismx wrote: »
    1) Yes, I find it annoying when people take something as mundane and "we're doubling down on security" and then decide it means that no leaks will ever happen. I also can't stand the use of Windoze, Samescum, Crapple, ANAL-yst, etc. Yes, I would like people to at least try to be original in their comments.
    2) I have no idea how you would connect a statement from Cook that is repeated ad nauseum to mean that those posters don't want to read about the leaks. Clearly they have some interest if they are posting on a thread about said leak.

My point was, I don't understand why anyone is arguing about Tim Cook's statements or bitching about people who are latching onto Cook's statements.

The fact of the matter is we have leaked photos to look at. Who cares how or why, just enjoy.

Also, just ignore the idiots.
  • Reply 12 of 35
    My point was, I don't understand why anyone is arguing about Tim Cook's statements or bitching about people who are latching onto Cook's statements.
    The fact of the matter is we have leaked photos to look at. Who cares how or why, just enjoy.
    Also, just ignore the idiots.

When this story broke on MR first I read their comments. Big mistake! Their members just rub me the wrong way, hence my venting here as an addendum to my initial post. You're right, i shouldn't have said anything because it also detracts from the thread thus making me part of the problem.
  • Reply 13 of 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I would think that parts are typically counted and watched very carefully at the factory.  Perhaps the thief has to return it intact in the morning so no one knows he stole it?   

Maybe this is one of many controlled leaks, to weed out the rats. But, with the amount of leaks lately, it definitely seems that Apple doesn't quite have all the holes patched up yet. I hope Tim is successful in the "doubling down." I empathize with the sense of betrayal to the company, and the practical damage that leaks can lead to. However, I also enjoy the Willy-Wonka-esque sense of mystery that comes from Apple.

• Reply 14 of 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatchyThePirate View Post

Maybe this is one of many controlled leaks, to weed out the rats. But, with the amount of leaks lately, it definitely seems that Apple doesn't quite have all the holes patched up yet. I hope Tim is successful in the "doubling down." I empathize with the sense of betrayal to the company, and the practical damage that leaks can lead to. However, I also enjoy the Willy-Wonka-esque sense of mystery that comes from Apple.

Well, the number and the accuracy rate of leaks & rumours has greatly increased this year.  Literally the only things we haven't seen is the actual camera part, close looks at individual chips, and maybe a daughter board to this one.  That's quite remarkable relative to previous leaks I think.  

Since most leaks come from the parts and repair folks or workers at the factories, I suppose it could be that they are "letting out the reins" this year so as to carefully track who is doing the leaking and then crack down on them next year.  It's also possible that they have some fantastic product like a levitating bubble car that drives itself or whatever, and are leaking the iPhone stuff to distract attention from it, but that seems kind of unlikely to me.  

I find the parts leaks interesting as well, but if I had to pick one or the other I would rather the leaks not happen really.  IMO it was so much better when Apple completely surprised us with a complete product that we had no idea existed until we saw it, and the wild (usually inaccurate), speculation that led up to it was more interesting as well.  

I guessed (correctly this time as it turns out), the complete design of this phone at least a month or two ago.  Everything since has been a sort of boring waiting game.  

Even the most educated guesses by some very smart people were completely wrong sometimes in the past.  Now it seems as if any idiot can figure out what they are doing weeks ahead of time.  It's all kind of dull to me now.  The few details we are missing are technical things that no one really cares about.  

• Reply 15 of 35
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member

What are the chances that, now with a larger case (albeit thinner), the big differentiator from competing devices will be a huge battery to make the new iPhone last a few hours longer than the 4S and many hours longer than anything else out there?

• Reply 16 of 35
    gazoobee wrote: »
    Well, the number and the accuracy rate of leaks & rumours has greatly increased this year.
    Perhaps it's because Apple used to announce new products with an actual release date weeks, if not months in the future. Now they have shortened the cycle with the availability of new products being immediately or at the most, a couple of weeks. When production is ramped up before the product is announced it increases the chances for leaked information and parts. Whereas before, photos of parts for an already announced product do not garner much attention.
    I find the parts leaks interesting as well, but if I had to pick one or the other I would rather the leaks not happen really.  IMO it was so much better when Apple completely surprised us with a complete product that we had no idea existed until we saw it, and the wild (usually inaccurate), speculation that led up to it was more interesting as well.
    I definitely agree with you here. New product announcements were like Christmas morning, very special, almost magical. Leaks are kind of like seeing those Christmas presents in the back of the closet before they were wrapped - come Christmas morning the anticipation and excitement are not there.
  • Reply 17 of 35
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    So we have the case, the connector, the motherboard and the sim tray. Just the display panel and a battery left and they can build a working iPhone. Maybe they can connect this motherboard to an iPhone 4S shell to see what it does.
  • Reply 18 of 35
    peter236peter236 Posts: 254member

All these parts we see now are not the real thing.

• Reply 19 of 35
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member

Speak for yourself.

I'm also an Apple shareholder and it's clear that the leaks help the competition. I'd just as soon see Apple track down the leakers and sue them into oblivion.
  • Reply 20 of 35
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

We all know that Apple products are greater than the sum of the parts. Even if you had all of the parts to look at you wouldn't be able to know what it's going to be like to use and live with.

The iPhone4 parts were leaked but no one guessed about the antennas. The info on the iPad retina display was leaked but until you actually used one, you didn't really know what it was like.

I seriously doubt that Samsung etc find out about these parts from online blogs, I'm sure they have people that get these parts for them to look at and maybe it's them who pass it on to other sites.