Judge "disappointed" over Apple and Samsung jury instructions, orders lead counsel to meet in person

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

According to several news articles earlier this year Google is slowly merging Android and their Chrome OS. Probably unlikely that they'll be totally integrated anytime soon if at all, just as iOS and Mac may never be totally merged.

A simple Google search for "Android and Chrome OS merge" should find several pertinent articles that explain the why's and what's from a couple of points of view.

I did as you said. It sounds like a long term dream more than anything else.

The idea was first proposed in 2009 (http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/23/sergey-brin-android-and-chrome-os-will-likely-converge-over-ti/), it would seem, and does not seem to have gained any traction since, at least as reported in the press. A recent article suggests that Sundar Pichai of Google thinks "...it's a journey..." pointing to the "30 years" it took Microsoft and Apple with their operating systems (http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57444837-93/googles-pichai-predicts-chrome-os-android-convergence/).

• Reply 22 of 27
    You do realise that Apple had no email retention policy.
    Managers are relied on to back up their own emails.

It is not hard to wonder why though for the worlds biggest earning tech company it is mighty fishy.
    The multi billion high tech and with has no automated back up system.
    I can guess why!
  • Reply 23 of 27

Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Mueller notes the parties' disagreements are unlikely to be resolved through negotiations, meaning Judge Koh will have to rule on the matter. While the final jury instructions are not required for at least a week, the Court must have time to review the disputed terms before issuing a ruling.

The way I interpret Judge Koh's order is, "I'm really pissed that you jerks couldn't get your acts together. First thing Monday morning you guys, and I mean the chief honchos themselves, will give me a list with 1) the things you agree on, and 2) the things you don't agree on and why. Now I'm going to look the stuff over and I'll tell you what the jury is going to do."

Now note the final "IT IS SO ORDERED." Bigger size and very boldface. Maybe this is standard, maybe not. But I see a finality in it. A message, no…a warning, to both legal teams that the first one to later on raise any objection, or request any changes, to these instructions will be leaving the courtroom holding their head in their hands.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    The formatting of the Judge's order is routine, I wouldn't read anything into the bold type.
  • Reply 25 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

I thought final instructions came from the judge herself.

Why do the contestants have to create them?

The judge is ultimately responsible for charging the jury but accepts the instructions from the parties as their theory of what issues are to be decided by the jurors (and the issues are narrowed by decisions made at trial - both strategic decisions made by the lawyers and legal ones on the evidence by the judge).  If the jury instructions bear no relationship to reality then the judge steps in but otherwise allows (as per the rules) the parties to submit their proposals.

• Reply 26 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by wshuff4 View Post

The formatting of the Judge's order is routine, I wouldn't read anything into the bold type.

Purely a stylistic thing.  It's not like emails where it's the equivalent of shouting.

• Reply 27 of 27
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venerable View Post

The judge is ultimately responsible for charging the jury but accepts the instructions from the parties as their theory of what issues are to be decided by the jurors (and the issues are narrowed by decisions made at trial - both strategic decisions made by the lawyers and legal ones on the evidence by the judge).  If the jury instructions bear no relationship to reality then the judge steps in but otherwise allows (as per the rules) the parties to submit their proposals.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wshuff4 View Post

It is common to require the parties to submit proposed jury instructions. When the instructions submitted by the parties are inconsistent, it is also not out of the ordinary for the judge to require the parties to try to come up with joint instructions. Improperly instructing the jury provides grounds for appeal, so having the parties agree to the instructions can take that out of consideration.

Thanks to you both - makes sense, especially the part about minimizing grounds for appeal.