Next-gen iPhone orders to start Sept. 12 ahead of Sept. 21 U.S. launch, report says

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
According to fresh inside information released on Monday, Apple will start taking pre-orders for its sixth-generation iPhone on Sept. 12 following a special event announcing the device, with U.S. shipments to commence on Sept. 21.

Previous reports pegged Sept. 12 as the date Apple plans to announce the next-generation iPhone, though the rumblings lacked details regarding a specific rollout timeline.

New information from iMore, one of the first to report on the Sept. 12 "special event," points to a pre-order round scheduled for the same day, with those units slated for U.S. shipment nine days later. The site goes on to say Apple will once again be employing a staggered international release, with the first wave set for the first week of October.

The site notes two separate sources provided the purported launch timeline, one who previously offered insight into the Sept. 12 special event, and another who has provided "accurate information in the past."

prototype 2

Monday's report lines up with Apple's traditional release schedule, though it seems the company will be more aggressive with the upcoming handset. When the iPhone 4S was announced on Oct. 4, 2011, pre-orders for the device commenced three days later ahead of shipments on Oct. 14. The first batch went to the U.S., Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Japan and the UK, while other international markets followed by month's end. At the time, the iPhone 4S rollout was the fastest ever for Apple.

It was noted earlier on Monday that AT&T is planning on rolling out its network-specific versions of the next-gen iPhone in late September, lending further evidence to the iMore report.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49

$$$ at the ready.

• Reply 2 of 49

30 days and counting!!!

I want one of these bad boys!

• Reply 3 of 49
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Ready when you are.

• Reply 4 of 49

The more I think about it, the more 16:9 makes sense. (i) There is more room to display email/SMS text with the keyboard displayed. (ii) Airplay without mailboxing on an HDTV.

Any others?

• Reply 5 of 49
    ryukryuk Posts: 29member

SIRI im comming honey... i cant wait been holding on to my iphone 4 tool long .... & i hope the per orders go well 

• Reply 6 of 49
    ryukryuk Posts: 29member

yea i think 16:9 is the best choice

• Reply 7 of 49
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by diorfl21 View Post

I heard that Sprint has a 6 month exclusive on the new iPhone 5... WTF?!?! This better be just a rumor!... It make since as Sprint did bet their company that the iPhone would revive the 3rd mobile US company and it would allow Apple a platform to basically customize to their needs... hmm interesting!!!

Complete and utter nonsense. Wherever you heard that, ignore it for the rest of eternity.

• Reply 8 of 49

I heard that Sprint has a 6 month exclusive on the new iPhone 5... WTF?!?! This better be just a rumor!... It make since as Sprint did bet their company that the iPhone would revive the 3rd mobile US company and it would allow Apple a platform to basically customize to their needs... hmm interesting!!!

• Reply 9 of 49
    And so? Why should it be?
  • Reply 10 of 49
  • Reply 11 of 49
    ryuk wrote: »
    yea i think 16:9 is the best choice
  • Reply 12 of 49
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

I might be the only one, but I hope Apple announces an iPhone exclusively for pre-paid networks based on the 3GS, but with CDMA and GSM compatibility.

Sold for $199 contract free announced at the event and launched alongside the iPhone 5.

• Reply 13 of 49
    rodentrodent Posts: 49member
    We can hope that the new 5 makes it to Wal-Marts Straight Talk $45 a month service. That would be great.
  • Reply 14 of 49

Originally Posted by Rodent View Post

We can hope that the new 5 makes it to Wal-Marts Straight Talk $45 a month service. That would be great.

It won't. Fortunately, any unlocked iPhone can be used on that network right now, anyway.

• Reply 15 of 49
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member

Why do people keep calling it iPhone 5?  The iPhone 4s was the 5th iPhone.  It'll just be called iPhone (and referred to as a 2012 model), or they'll call it iPhone 6.

• Reply 16 of 49

Originally Posted by doh123 View Post

Why do people keep calling it iPhone 5?  The iPhone 4s was the 5th iPhone.  It'll just be called iPhone (and referred to as a 2012 model), or they'll call it iPhone 6.

No, you're wrong. Everyone in every grocery store line in the world knows for a fact that the 6th iPhone will be called "iPhone 5", so that's what Apple is forced to call it.

????

• Reply 17 of 49
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Why do people care what the next phone is called? The 4S was the 5th generation but wasn't called iPhone 5. My guess is they'll do what they did with the iPad and just call it iPhone.
  • Reply 18 of 49
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

I'm so torn on this. That new body is gorgeous, but the longer screen is just ridiculous. When we said larger, we meant proportionally, not LONGER.

Apple is apparently continuing the long tradition of giving users what they didn't ask for, which is a mentality I will never understand.

• Reply 19 of 49

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

When we said larger, we meant proportionally…

Speak for yourself.

Apple is apparently continuing the long tradition of giving users what they didn't ask for, which is a mentality I will never understand.

Because you (users) don't have a clue what you actually want.

• Reply 20 of 49
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

I'm so torn on this. That new body is gorgeous, but the longer screen is just ridiculous. When we said larger, we meant proportionally, not LONGER.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Speak for yourself.

Because you (users) don't have a clue what you actually want.

What TS said.  If as rumored, more pixels, i.e., more real estate, an aspect ratio that has its advantages for some uses if not all (imagine that!), your thumb can still traverse the width, you don't need cargo pants to carry it, the screen will seem bigger to people checking it out, not a huge burden on developers from what I understand, Retina's maintained, it should be thinner, maybe even lighter, LTE, maybe NFC, new CPU, possibly more on-board storage AND at least the same battery life (we hope). 

I can understand ALL of that. With neither a degree in engineering or marketing.

And by every indication the 4s and 4 are still gonna be around - the 4s for a good long while at that......