Three Samsung handsets removed from list of accused devices at patent trial

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple v. Samsung presiding Judge Lucy Koh on Monday ruled Samsung's GT-i9000, GT-i9100 and Galaxy Ace will be removed from the list of devices accused of infringing on Apple's patents.

Samsung's counsel argued against the three handsets being included in the trial's proceedings, saying that none of the smartphones were up for sale in the U.S. from Samsung or its subsidiaries, reports The Verge. Samsung's GT-i9000, GT-i9100 are the international variants of the Galaxy S, Galaxy S II, while the Galaxy Ace carried over the same branding when the South Korean company brought the device to the U.S.

Judge Koh's ruling came directly following the end of Apple's case presentation on Monday. Samsung successfully argued that Apple held the burden of proof in bringing patent infringement allegations against the three smartphones, noting the Cupertino company hadn't adequately argued why the devices were included in the first place.

Samsung at the same time attempted to argue that the entire case be dropped, claiming Apple did not sufficiently meet its legal burden in asserting allegations of trade dress infringement. All Things D notes Judge Koh heard an hour of arguments from both parties regarding the matter before decided the documents and testimony provided by Apple amounted to enough material to form a basis for jury deliberation.

GT-i9000
Samsung's international variant of the Galaxy S, the GT-i9000.
Source: Samsung

Earlier on Monday, testimony from Apple expert witness Terry Musika estimated Samsung should pay between $2.5 billion and $2.75 billion if the jury finds the South Korean electronics giant infringed on all of Apple's asserted trade dress claims. On cross-examination, Musika was grilled over the various ways in which damages can be calculated, bringing the numbers into question.

The ruling to continue proceedings means Samsung will begin its defense starting with Ben Bederson, who will give testimony of alleged prior art pertaining to Apple's '915 "pinch to zoom" patent. Bederson, a University of Maryland professor, is credited with creating LaunchTile, an interface designed to facilitate one-handed operation of a smartphone. According to the technology's abstract, LaunchTile uses thumb gestures to zoom in and out of a maximum 36 on-screen applications.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

"Obviously Samsung's defense is working and Apple's claims are breaking away like a sandcastle at high tide. It won't be long now and Apple will be paying Samsung royalties on every device they've sold! Hooray for Samsung!"

I say let the devices in the trial. Apple is GOING to win this one, and then they'll just use the result to sue Samsung in every other country, anyway.

• Reply 2 of 32

Besides the people on this forum and the Android forums, who even follows the trial or gives a shit.

• Reply 3 of 32

Originally Posted by TheShepherd View Post

Besides the people on this forum and the Android forums, who even follows the trial or gives a shit.

Sounds like someone has a case of the existential quandaries.

• Reply 4 of 32
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

This is probably just poor writing/reporting (again!), but ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Samsung's counsel argued against the three handsets being included in the trial's proceedings, saying that none of the smartphones were up for sale in the U.S. from Samsung or its subsidiaries, reports ... 

the Galaxy Ace carried over the same branding when the South Korean company brought the device to the U.S.

Which is it?  Can't be both.  

• Reply 5 of 32
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member

This judge is biased towards Apple.

• Reply 6 of 32
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    Always knew having so many sales attendants per square foot is just not sustainable
  • Reply 7 of 32

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Always knew having so many sales attendants per square foot is just not sustainable

Wrong thread, one, completely incorrect, two.

• Reply 8 of 32
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Wrong thread, one, completely incorrect, two.

This is completely incorrect.  It should be: 

One, Wrong thread. 

Two, completely incorrect. 

:-)

• Reply 9 of 32

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This is completely incorrect.  It should be: 

One, Wrong thread. 

Two, completely incorrect. 

:-)

Wrong, knit one, perl two. image

• Reply 10 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil

Sounds like someone has a case of the existential quandaries.

Peter Gibbons: Let me ask you something. When you log onto AppleInsider and post a lame comment, does anyone ever say to you, "Sounds like someone has a case of the existential quandaries?"

Lawrence: No. No, man. Shit, no, man. I believe you'd get your ass kicked sayin' something like that, man.

• Reply 11 of 32
    Quote:

Peter Gibbons: Let me ask you something. When you log onto AppleInsider and post a lame comment, does anyone ever say to you, "Sounds like someone has a case of the existential quandaries?"
    Lawrence: No. No, man. Shit, no, man. I believe you'd get your ass kicked sayin' something like that, man.

Except, you don't know him and therefor, cannot kick his ass. Sorry! But I bet you couldn't kick his ass anyways since your weak ass can't even make it to a decent school to learn how to not be stupid.
  • Reply 12 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by logandigges View Post

Except, you don't know him and therefor, cannot kick his ass. Sorry! But I bet you couldn't kick his ass anyways since your weak ass can't even make it to a decent school to learn how to not be stupid.

Come on loganddigges.  It is just a joke.  Have you never seen Office Space?

• Reply 13 of 32
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 14 of 32
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member

Thought this was funny, an ad on AI on this thread:  http://pages.samsung.com/us/s9monitor/

At least they changed the base.

• Reply 15 of 32
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member

That would be true in essence of anything you care to think about ... only those with the knowledge on any given subject care. That doesn't diminish the value of the matter at hand.
  • Reply 16 of 32
    sennen wrote: »
    This judge is biased towards Apple.

I sure hope so. Kind of like the ref was towards the USA in the Canadian women's semi final soccer game .

.. I am kidding ....
  • Reply 17 of 32
    macrulez wrote: »
    Like the UK? ;)

Yeah, I like the UK ...
  • Reply 18 of 32
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The ruling to continue proceedings means Samsung will begin its defense starting with Ben Bederson, who will give testimony of alleged prior art pertaining to Apple's '915 "pinch to zoom" patent. Bederson, a University of Maryland professor, is credited with creating LaunchTile, an interface designed to facilitate one-handed operation of a smartphone. According to the technology's abstract, LaunchTile uses thumb gestures to zoom in and out of a maximum 36 on-screen applications.

There's an article detailing today's testimony from Bederson as well as Adam Bogue, the more interesting witness in my view.

"To keep hammering at its point, Samsung brought out Adam Bogue, the creator of theDiamondTouch table, a projector-based, multi-touch gesture-enabled computing technology that came out of Mitsubishi Electric Research Laboratories (MERL). Much like Microsoft's first Surface (now called PixelSense), the idea was that users could work around a the same table, Bogue explained.

DiamondTouch also had developed a follow-up technology called TableCloth, which Samsung showed off to once again take aim at Apple's bounce-back patent. TableCloth, which Bogue explained had been developed for Adobe's Flash platform, would bounce back images when they're pulled off screen.The primary gesture feature, called FractalZoom was one touch for scrolling, and two fingers to pinch and zoom, technology that Bogue said he actually demoed to Apple in a private meeting in late 2003. The technology was shown off to what Bogue said was "maybe half a dozen" Apple hardware engineers. The meeting didn't go anywhere, though Bogue kept an e-mail thread between him and the company, which Samsung submitted as evidence.

Bogue argued that while this technology was only found on the company's multi-touch PCs, it was readily viewable by anyone who came into the MERL lobby. There the company kept a demo unit that was loaded with the latest software.

The two gesture patents are just part of Apple's patent offense against Samsung."

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57492486-37/samsung-goes-on-offense-aims-to-bust-apple-patents/

• Reply 20 of 32
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I sure hope so. Kind of like the ref was towards the USA in the Canadian women's semi final soccer game .

.. I am kidding ....

Well, I hope not that kind of bias - real bias, I mean... :wink: