AT&T gearing up to begin selling Apple's new iPhone in late September

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple, which is expected to formally introduce its latest iPhone to the world on September 12th, could begin shipping the device to customers and selling the handset in retail stores just a week or two later, according to a new report.

Citing a trusted AT&T source, BGR reported Monday that the "carrier is currently planning to launch Apple?s next-generation iPhone during the third or fourth week of September, with an all-hands-on-deck policy in place for employees that will extend through to the middle of October."

A second source reportedly added that a large training event for regional AT&T employees has therefore been rescheduled from the first week of October due to a conflict with a ?huge announcement.?

A rapid go-to-market strategy that would have customers clutching Apple's latest handset just days after being announced by the company is impressive but not unprecedented.

After repositioning its iPhone introduction from the summer timeframe to the fall, Apple last year introduced the iPhone 4S on October 4th and began shipping the device to customers and retail stores on October 14th -- Just 10 days later.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    it is going to be a funny launch.

1gb ram
    32 gb base
    new top end gpu
    a5 32 nm.

people will see the a5 and freak out and hopefully buy a s3 or something similar so those that really wanna buy the new iphone for the amazing piece of art and engineering it is can do it peacefully.

i would love that...
  • Reply 2 of 16
    jj.yuanjj.yuan Posts: 213member

You are the 1st to post a comment. Congratulations!

• Reply 3 of 16
    The money is waiting...
    Just hope they produce enough for the roll-out.
    Not to say that I am tired of my iP4 but with all the cumulated new features. It's definitely worthwile to upgrade.

Oh yea!
    Apple always produces something to look forward to.
  • Reply 4 of 16

So, what's the Killer App or Feature that will make us iPhone 4 buyers to stand in line?  Siri didn't do it for me.

• Reply 5 of 16

This is the Same ATT who  actively markets Android over iPhone?   Need more employees to divert and discourage, yet will make more profit off of iPhone than ever.   Oh well.

I'm out of cycle by 6 months, so I'm probably waiting till after Xmas.

• Reply 6 of 16
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member

Quote:

Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

So, what's the Killer App or Feature that will make us iPhone 4 buyers to stand in line?  Siri didn't do it for me.

the end of your contract?

i'll probably sell my wife's 4 for $150 and buy her the new one just because she's out of contract now

• Reply 7 of 16
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Since AppleInsider refuses to mention it, I will: BGR is an unreliable source. They are particularly poor at nailing down iPhone launch dates.

At least MacRumors acknowledges this.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/08/13/att-reportedly-planning-for-iphone-launch-in-late-september/
  • Reply 8 of 16

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

the end of your contract?

For me, in order most important first, End of Contract + Bigger Screen + 64GB capacity + Spec bump + Metal Back + Siri.  Yup Siri does that little for me. I never liked the glass back of my 4, I wished it was brushed metal since the day I got it.

• Reply 9 of 16
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member

as a 4s owner, siri is useless. even with the new upcoming features. i have it turned off on my phone.

maybe once app makers implement it in their apps it will be better, but as of now its crap. only reason i have an iphone over a a SGS3 is the dock connector and one or two other minor reasons i can't remember at the moment

• Reply 10 of 16

Quote:

longer battery life ip4s is only 3 hours if they can match the 6-7 hrs of other brands I will buy it otherwise I will opt for the WP8 on the Lumia 910

• Reply 11 of 16
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

as a 4s owner, siri is useless.

As not an owner, Siri is not useless. Someone's wrong here. I doubt it's me. image

• Reply 12 of 16
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Quote:

as a 4s owner, siri is useless. even with the new upcoming features. i have it turned off on my phone.

"SIRI?"  "Yes?"  "Are you useless?"  Waiting.  Waiting.  Waiting.  SIRI says "I can't answer that"  So in my opinion she is not useless.  But merely unable to answer the question.

• Reply 13 of 16

I have the iPhone 4s 64GB and Siri is...... useless. To me. Many times Siri is unable to write what I want it to write. I speak very well, English is my first language and it doesn't work well, for me. The only thing good about it is the humor. When I tell Siri to refer to me as "Badass Motherfucker", she tells it like it is. 

I find it much easier to just google or type an address, or whatnot in Maps to get what I want.

• Reply 14 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

longer battery life ip4s is only 3 hours if they can match the 6-7 hrs of other brands I will buy it otherwise I will opt for the WP8 on the Lumia 910

There's definitely something wrong with your ip4s then.

Mine easily lasts all day ... several calls, a few texts, lots of email, lots of web-browsing (using 3G as often as WiFi.), hours of iPod useage.

I NEVER have to charge mine during the day... 

Now, that said, longer battery life could never be seen as a bad thing!

• Reply 15 of 16

Do you guys think AT&T will let users unlock the new iPhone immediately if we pay the ETF?

• Reply 16 of 16

Originally Posted by crazi4apple View Post

Do you guys think AT&T will let users unlock the new iPhone immediately if we pay the ETF?

You cannot pay the ETF without first paying for a month of service and waiting 30 days. You have to return the phone otherwise.

And no, they'll force you to wait two years and fulfill your contract. That's why Apple sells the unlocked version themselves.