Rumor: Apple axing recently-hired retail store staff

Comments

• Reply 41 of 92
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I've given this a lot of thought over the past two minutes, and I think they do.

:) +1

• Reply 42 of 92
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

It was the London Olympics, not the UK Olympics. And shops actually saw a drop-off in sales in London.

Can't see why Apple are getting rid of these staff. Apple stores are always packed in the UK.

If the London Olympics opening or closing ceremonies are any indicator of the organizational abilities or work ethic of Londoners, I'd recommend firing the lot of them.

• Reply 43 of 92
    The other option is banning the trolls, and as public opinion would be against that, I'll stick with making fun of them.

Please, ban the trolls!! They contribute nothing, we are not in need of dissenting opinion, which they do not even provide. They distract, and that is all. It's for their own good anyway, it can't be healthy to spend such an inordinate amount of time brooding in negativity. They'll thank you later ;)

As for the topic,I agree with a previous commenter in that, for all we know, this could just be a change in strategy from the new head of retail.
  • Reply 44 of 92
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The other option is banning the trolls, and as public opinion would be against that, I'll stick with making fun of them.

FWIW, I'm in favor of banning trolls with prejudice. :D

• Reply 45 of 92
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    nasserae wrote: »
    You are taking this as a fact. This is just a rumor. It doesn't make any sense that Apple just hired people to fire them. If this is true then we would have heard about some top executive who is responsible for this being fired first.

I trademarked it first "Apple is Doomed!™

????

Sorreeeee
  • Reply 46 of 92
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member

Seconded.
  • Reply 47 of 92
    t-bone wrote: »
    It could be a seasonal adjustment or John Browett's new strategy coming into play.

That's an interesting comment! The new VP has one chance to put his imprint on the Apple stores. It's called "new blood".
  • Reply 48 of 92
    ewanewan Posts: 36member

Apple's greed is reaching a new level. They make about $60 billion a year in profits yet want to save a small amount of about $1-2 million by laying off minimum wage retail employees. This is sad. 

• Reply 49 of 92
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    2oh1 wrote: »
    Axing staff prior to what will surely be the biggest product release in Apple history seems particularly odd.

It's a classic move in retail for 4th quarter fiscal to have less hours so this isn't a shock to me.

My guess is that many of them were axed do much as told they wouldn't be promised hours every week or even anything more than 3 or 4 depending on state rules about minimum shift times. So they quit rather than keep time open for a job that might not use them.

I will say that is what thing we do right in the industry. If the production wants you to hold availability for them they have to pay you whether they use you or not, especially with tv shows. A one day actor can end up paid for 7-8 days because they don't know what day thy need the person.
  • Reply 50 of 92
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member

That "making fun", on occasion, sounds like mild trolling itself.
  • Reply 51 of 92
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

That "making fun", on occasion, sounds like mild trolling itself.

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Becarefull......it seems every time someone disagress or points out flaws in TS's logic he brings out the "ban" word to support his postion. He has the title of "Global Moderator" you know....

Definition of a troll

"In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response["

Notice it doesn't say anyone who disagress with the majority....people can have different  opions....

• Reply 52 of 92

I'm afraid not enough people have mentioned that....

APPLE IS   D-O-O-M!

There. Someone had to say it for the third time.

• Reply 53 of 92
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Totally agree! Lets mock away at these clowns! Unfortunately, IMO, some of them are trying to manipulate the markets as Apple continues to be one of the most manipulated stocks on the market.

• Reply 54 of 92
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ewan View Post

Apple's greed is reaching a new level. They make about $60 billion a year in profits yet want to save a small amount of about $1-2 million by laying off minimum wage retail employees. This is sad. 

What makes you an expert? They are running a business, just like any other. Their obligation to shareholders is to make a profit. Furthermore, such an idiotic comment fails to take into account that this is a rumor! If you are going to be posting here newbie, try to use some common sense.

• Reply 55 of 92
    cameronj wrote: »
    Wait, so you're telling me that the uk may have had a temporary need for a lot of employees that has just passed?

Yep there is that also.
  • Reply 56 of 92
    harbinger wrote: »

Actually. It's quite puzzling since they clearly are very good at supply chain management. By deduction, they should know their supply/demand/distribution well enough to plan hiring very accurately.

A massive influx of expected traffic due to an event that has never been to the area, nor anything close to that amount, isn't something Apple is likely to have data concerning with which to base predictions on.
  • Reply 57 of 92
    richl wrote: »
    It was the London Olympics, not the UK Olympics. And shops actually saw a drop-off in sales in London.

Folks coming to see the Olympucs might travel the country a bit before or after. Why not since you are there

And the drop off might be why any seasons arent being kept. They hired expecting 1000% more traffic and only got 200% more. And with the Olympics wrapping up Apple doesn't need all of them and can't afford to keep them. That could be all that is going on here
  • Reply 58 of 92

If folks would put them on ignore and stop quoting them etc, it wouldn't matter if they were banned or not.
  • Reply 59 of 92
    2oh1 wrote: »
    I doubt that.  Full timers cost more.  They get higher wages and benefits.

Point taken, but part timers are also harder to train and schedule, and may not have the same dedication to Apple if they are balancing demands of other jobs. There also is the possibility that Apple has found that much like in trauma surgery or many other fields, the best practitioners are those who practice their craft the most. Someone who deals with Apple products for 40+ hours a week will be more adept than one who deals with them for 20 or less. I also seem to remember an article where part timers were complaining that Apple retail was forcing them to work too much. They might have decided that it was not worth the trouble. On the other hand, I am sure that there are many employees (college students, parents, etc.) who were excellent in a part time capacity and it will be a shame for Apple to lose such high quality people.
  • Reply 60 of 92

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

If folks would put them on ignore and stop quoting them etc, it wouldn't matter if they were banned or not.

It would matter to non-account guests who would read their posts, see them not be questioned, and think that what they're saying is being accepted by the community as accurate or acceptable in any way.

There's one vBulletin feature we miss more than any other that relates to this…