Apple's new mini Dock Connector to feature 9-pin, orientation independent design - sources

Comments

• Reply 81 of 107

I'm not familiar with the new Air or MBPR, is this the same connector that is used on them?
  • Reply 82 of 107
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by justmeblue View Post

I'm not familiar with the new Air or MBPR, is this the same connector that is used on them?

Not in the slightest. This isn't MagSafe 2; this is Dock Connector 2, which is entirely new.  

• Reply 83 of 107

How does the 9th pin work, and it's position would have to mean there was another one on the opposite side, adn that the next iOS devices would have two 9pin contacts... I don't get that last pin at all tbh.

• Reply 84 of 107
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    How does the 9th pin work, and it's position would have to mean there was another one on the opposite side, adn that the next iOS devices would have two 9pin contacts... I don't get that last pin at all tbh.

It depends on what you mean by "other side."

Scenario one: Cable is simple. The connector would have, from left to right 12345678 and underneath would have 12345678 without rotating the connector 180°. If you were to rotate the connector 180° it would then 87654321 on top and 87654321 underneath. This basically means that the same piece of metal is exposed on the top and bottom. It also means the iPhone needs to intelligently determine which way it's plugged in.

Scenario two: Cable is a little complex. The connector would have, from left to right 12345678 and underneath 87654321. When you rotate the connector the pins are still all lined up as 12345678. It's basically what a rollover cable is to ethernet.

Note that in either scenario the phone doesn't need to have connectors on both side of the plug for it to work. it only needs to connect to the pins once to make a connection. As for the 9th pin, that's the metal contact on the outside. This would most assuredly be the ground (for the power connectors). This is a good design, like in some countries's outlets, because it means the ground occurs first thus adding a level of safety as you plug it in.

edit: Messed up the pinout for the 2nd scenario.
  • Reply 85 of 107

No, I get that first part, that the software maps whatever physical pin is virtual pin #1 and so on, my question about the 9th pnin, is that First off how does it work at all? it's plastic, not metal, and second off it's in such a strange position, that it would (seemingly) have to be mappeed independently of the other pins, because of it's location.

• Reply 86 of 107
    neosumneosum Posts: 113member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sip View Post

It's to stop Samsung from copying the plug...

Samsung will come out with this plug when the galaxy s4 comes out.

• Reply 87 of 107

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Just what society needs another idiot proof connector, are people that stupid they do not know how to plug something in, I know people still have problem plug in two prong power cords into the wall with on prong bigger, they have not figure out how to rotate it 180 degrees.

It's not about idiot proofing, it's about flexibility.

• Reply 88 of 107
    No, I get that first part, that the software maps whatever physical pin is virtual pin #1 and so on, my question about the 9th pnin, is that First off how does it work at all? it's plastic, not metal, and second off it's in such a strange position, that it would (seemingly) have to be mappeed independently of the other pins, because of it's location.

1) It is unique compared to the other pins but that doesn't invalidate its purpose. It's also metal as the image clearly shows.

2) I'm not sure what you mean by virtual pin as they are all physical pins. The only variance is that one side of pins might not be used at any given time depending on the rotation.
  • Reply 89 of 107

That's what Apple's counting on, more proof that they copy :)

• Reply 90 of 107
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I can't remember if anyone else picked it up, but I've been calling this one Dock Connector 2 already. Anyone think that's a valid name?

Don't dare start on that "the new Dock Connector" crap.

????

Myself I call it the dock connector and nothing else.

• Reply 91 of 107
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    What about that faster Samsung NAND? And why the heck has Apple deigned to keep such slow NAND in their devices?!

It's partly to do with SSD controllers utilising RAID 0 across the many NAND chips in the SSDs, so reads/writes occur to the (individually slow) NAND chips simultaneously. iOS devices have a maximum of two NAND chips (16GB devices have one chip), so the RAID 0 only doubles the speed. I think it's possible the hardware encryption maxes out at ~20MB/sec too.

So in other words, the iPhone 6/5/4SL wouldn't gain any advantage from USB 3. Apple are unlikely to use USB 3 just for the hell of it, as the USB 3 chips are much less tested, and much more power hungry than their power-sipping USB 2 equivalents. Also, it most certainly won't have Thunderbolt. Thunderbolt is an extension of the PCI-E bus, which iOS devices don't have anything remotely akin to. It might be possible to emulate the PCI-E standard in software, but it'd be very slow and thus pretty much pointless as a USB 2 replacement. Until NAND speed increases a fair bit, even USB 2 won't be saturated.

If this connector is real, I think it'll be 17 pin, not 8. If it is just 8, there'd be a real struggle to keep essential features like analog audio out/accessory detection along with power and USB. However, if all the communication was done over USB, then you could use as little as 4 pins. USB comms would make simple accessories like speaker docks much more complex though, as they'd need USB chipsets and analog to digital converters that're currently in the phone itself.

Oh also, the picture appears to show a metal ring around the white plastic area the contacts sit on. This indicates to me that the connector is fake, as each time you inserted the connector, the iOS device's own pins would get shorted by the metal ring, and it'd cause additional wear too.
  • Reply 92 of 107
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member

Although some people have illnesses, hunger, death and the like, I am so goddamn frustrated by the orientation requirement on Apple and other cords.  Sometimes I think life isn't worth living this way.

• Reply 93 of 107
    dbbcdbbc Posts: 14member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Booga View Post

USB3 is a 9-pin standard...

So is FireWire 800.

• Reply 94 of 107

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) It is unique compared to the other pins but that doesn't invalidate its purpose. It's also metal as the image clearly shows.

2) I'm not sure what you mean by virtual pin as they are all physical pins. The only variance is that one side of pins might not be used at any given time depending on the rotation.

I can't see it, maybe I'm not looking hard enoujgh *maximizes picture* and by virtual pin, I mean that physical pin 1 is virtual pin 1 if it's it's connected "right side up" (these terms are very vague) and when "upside down" pin 9 becomes pin 1 to the driver connecting it to the computer.

Unless of course, Apple's just reversing the actual pin layout, and then I just gave up a decent idea for nothing. :/
  • Reply 95 of 107

Originally Posted by bwik View Post

Although some people have illnesses, hunger, death and the like, I am so goddamn frustrated by the orientation requirement on Apple and other cords.  Sometimes I think life isn't worth living this way.

A human being can be outraged about more than one thing at once. Yes, it's probably insignificant in comparison to larger events elsewhere in the world, but this is AppleInsider, not LargereventselsewhereintheworldInsider.

• Reply 96 of 107
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Just what society needs another idiot proof connector, are people that stupid they do not know how to plug something in, I know people still have problem plug in two prong power cords into the wall with on prong bigger, they have not figure out how to rotate it 180 degrees.

I usually plug in my iPhone just before I go to bed, when it's pitch-black. Orientation-independent chargers would make life a lot easier.

• Reply 97 of 107
    I can't see it, maybe I'm not looking hard enoujgh *maximizes picture* and by virtual pin, I mean that physical pin 1 is virtual pin 1 if it's it's connected "right side up" (these terms are very vague) and when "upside down" pin 9 becomes pin 1 to the driver connecting it to the computer.

Unless of course, Apple's just reversing the actual pin layout, and then I just gave up a decent idea for nothing. :/

Are you having a laugh? You honestly can't see how the number 9 on the image pointing to the metal connector that wraps around the connector?
  • Reply 98 of 107

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Like the orientation independent T-shaped MagSafe 2 adapter that Apple introduced in June to replace the first-generation L-shaped adapters, the company's new Dock Connector will help facilitate slimmer, more compact handheld designs that consumers can quickly plug in and charge without the hassle of having to orient the plug in the correct direction when attaching a cable.

Wait a minute - wasn't the original Magnetic power adapter on Macbook Pros T-Shaped and could be inserted either way (I had one on the first MbookPro i got)? Then the second generation was L-Shaped (on my current MbookPro), which has a lower profile, but blocks ports if it's inserted in the reverse orientation. Then Apple switched back to T-Shape (with some improvements) for the 3rd iteration.

Why is Appleinsider trying to ignore the first generation T-Shaped adapter? Because it shows Apple made a mistake with the L-Shape and that isn't allowed on AI?

Also, saying the new iPhone plug and Magsafe Adaptors are "orientation independent" is not true - they both only function in 2 different orientations, therefore they are dependent on one of 2 orientations. If they were square, they'd function in 4 orientations, and if they were round and designed depth-oriented like headphone jacks, etc, they'd be orientation independent because it wouldn't matter how you stuck them in.  

• Reply 99 of 107
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elijahg View Post

Oh also, the picture appears to show a metal ring around the white plastic area the contacts sit on. This indicates to me that the connector is fake, as each time you inserted the connector, the iOS device's own pins would get shorted by the metal ring, and it'd cause additional wear too.

Good post. Thanks. Nice observation of the metal on the leading edge of the plug. Perhaps this is a fake but somehow I doubt it. It would be fairly difficult to build such a tiny precise fake. The site that published it has posted some other seemingly credible info as if they have an inside source in Asia someplace.

After examination of the original photos from the previous thread I noticed there is also a recess on the side of the plug which presumably snaps into a retaining spring of some sort to keep the connector secure. When the plug is beginning to be inserted it pushes the spring open which could also retract the pins from being shorted and once the plug is far enough in, the spring is released into the recess and the pins are exposed to the contact points. The leading metal ring actually prevents wear on the plug itself. Just a hypothesis, although it does seem overly complicated. It is just one possibility that may explain your very valid concern about the metal ring around the plug. 

• Reply 100 of 107
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    iqatedo wrote: »
    Just out of interest, have you tried Signal Scope Pro?  It has proven very useful to me.

I've got all of their stuff too. There's a lot of good apps in this field. For design work there are a lot of apps as well that I've got, and a lot that I don't. Truth is that all of these, even when you add the plug-ins into the mix, are so cheap when compared to my Mac software, and downright ridulous when compared to my professional testing hardware, that the only thing that prevents me from buying even more, it the confusion from learning all of this software, and the space on my devices.