Rumor: Apple axing recently-hired retail store staff

Comments

• Reply 61 of 92
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The other option is banning the trolls, and as public opinion would be against that, I'll stick with making fun of them.

Becarefull......it seems every time someone disagress or points out flaws in TS's logic he brings out the "ban" word to support his postion. He has the title of "Global Moderator" you know....

Definition of a troll

"In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response["

Notice it doesn't say anyone who disagress with the majority....people can have different  opions....

Yep intolerant rabid fanaticism knows no moderation. Anyone who has an open mind to consider more than one side of an argument is labeled a hieratic and should be banned.

• Reply 62 of 92

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Yep intolerant rabid fanaticism knows no moderation. Anyone who has an open mind to consider more than one side of an argument is labeled a hieratic and should be banned.

Yep. I actually have that written on my chest in reverse, Memento-style, so that it's the first thing I see when I wake up (my entire bedroom is nothing but mirrors; helps me know that there's only me and my opinions).

… And now I genuinely want to know what happens when you turn on a flashlight inside a mirror box.

• Reply 63 of 92
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The other option is banning the trolls, and as public opinion would be against that, I'll stick with making fun of them.

Fair criticism of Apple /= "Trolling." That you can't see the difference is an issue in and of itself.

• Reply 64 of 92

Guess there won't be that many Apple Geniuses available on airplanes anymore...

• Reply 65 of 92

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Fair criticism of Apple /= "Trolling." That you can't see the difference is an issue in and of itself.

I'd rather live in a world where trolling can exist, unlike what you're laughably suggesting.

• Reply 66 of 92
    "The economy has finally caught up with Apple. Apple is doomed."

John Browett has finally caught up with Apple.
  • Reply 67 of 92

Doom has been Appled.

News at 11.

• Reply 68 of 92
    It would matter to non-account guests who would read their posts, see them not be questioned, and think that what they're saying is being accepted by the community as accurate or acceptable in any way.

There's one vBulletin feature we miss more than any other that relates to this… 

What feature? Down voting?
  • Reply 69 of 92

Not surprised.

When I went to my nearby Apple Store about a month ago, it's afternoon on Sat, and guess what, at most 30-40% of the staff were serving customers, while the rest were just standing there chatting.

It's a good time to contain cost for AAPL, can't afford another earning miss.

• Reply 70 of 92
    chiachia Posts: 713member

Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

If the London Olympics opening or closing ceremonies are any indicator of the organizational abilities or work ethic of Londoners, I'd recommend firing the lot of them.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

So Apple should fire the whole lot of Londoners including a certain Sir Jonathan Ive?

Whatever ignominy you suffered at the London Olympics doesn't justify your sweeping statement any more than it's acceptable for me to say fire all women or worse.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 71 of 92
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I do like that AI choose a pic of Apple retail employees with red shirts. "He's dead, Tim."
    I thought the EXACT same thing!

"Set phasers to 'Apple is doomed'..."
  • Reply 72 of 92
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

John Browett has finally caught up with Apple.

He has someone to answer to. 

• Reply 73 of 92
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

This is wrong on Apple's part to do this by letting people go and not caring about their jobs at all. A typical corporation only giving a dam about the money they make. Corporate Capitalists!

• Reply 74 of 92

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

Ok. So some people do. But is that really an important issue? Is that really the point here?

Shhhh, some people have to talk to feel important.  Facts about the economy, poor hiring practices or other worthy subjects are not important.

• Reply 75 of 92

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

You do realize that some people base their whole worthiness on the success of a company they have nothing to do with?  To be critical of said company is a direct attack on them so they must respond.

• Reply 76 of 92
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    Why is this considered a rumor? Why would it be unusual for Apple to lay off staff, every company has laid off staff in the past year or so. I didn't think such a practice would be considers odd if Apple were to do it.
  • Reply 77 of 92

What kind of bullsh!t reporting is this? Rumor mill crap is all it is. WTF are your sources? I'm going to LMAO when Apple turns their attention to rags like this. You can go in to either of our local Apple stores just about any time and find standing room only. I am friends with several of the employees(part and full time) at both stores and have heard absolutely nothing like this. In fact a couple of my friends working part time are complaining about their hours being increased to the point it is interfering with their college classes.

Quit putting crap on the front page and perpetuating rumors that waste our time. Apple Insider my A$$!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

iDevice and Mac Lover

Rob Bond - Cary, NC USA - 25 Year Retired Navy Photographer

4th Gen iPod Touch 64gb iOS5.1.1/New iPad 4G LTE 64gb iOS5.1.1/Mac mini 2.7GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.8/2012 15" MBP 2.6GHz Quad i7, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.8/Win7

• Reply 78 of 92
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    charlituna wrote: »
    Folks coming to see the Olympucs might travel the country a bit before or after. Why not since you are there
    And the drop off might be why any seasons arent being kept. They hired expecting 1000% more traffic and only got 200% more. And with the Olympics wrapping up Apple doesn't need all of them and can't afford to keep them. That could be all that is going on here

Given this is a rumor (I assume that is still the case) I don't want to get in too deep in this .... but given the UK's tax level on goods I doubt Apple would see their Apple Stores as being massively attractive to visitors to the Olympics. Unlike when UK folks get to visit the States ... where an additional empty suitcase is a very good idea to fill with goods to take back from the USA.
  • Reply 79 of 92
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Folks coming to see the Olympucs might travel the country a bit before or after. Why not since you are there

And the drop off might be why any seasons arent being kept. They hired expecting 1000% more traffic and only got 200% more. And with the Olympics wrapping up Apple doesn't need all of them and can't afford to keep them. That could be all that is going on here

If this is the case, I sure hope Apple made it clear to these people that the work was seasonal before Apple hired them...

And why fire them now? The Paralympics haven't taken place and the numbers of visitors won't be that far down from the Olympics. 

• Reply 80 of 92
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    zindako wrote: »
    Why is this considered a rumor? Why would it be unusual for Apple to lay off staff, every company has laid off staff in the past year or so. I didn't think such a practice would be considers odd if Apple were to do it.
    Because it is a rumor with no named sources? I mean it's not like Google who publicly announced 4K were being layed off from Motorola.