Apple "rubber-banding," "pinch-to-zoom" patents challenged by Samsung witnesses

Comments

• Reply 21 of 157
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    That's a Pablo Picasso quote btw.

T. S. Eliot actually, regarding poets.

Feel free to provide evidence of where this misquote was actually used by Picasso.
  • Reply 22 of 157

I was under the impression that the patent office does not research whether the item being patented is unique, only whether it can be patented under the patent rules.  It is up to the applicant to research whether the thing being patented is truly a unique invention and then if there is a dispute, it is handled in the courts.  If the patent office took responsibility for the validity of a patented item being a unique invention, then these trials would not be needed.

• Reply 23 of 157
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gtr wrote: »
    I'm sorry.

I call it as I see it. (>_<)

Then note that the comment sounds retarded. But don't refer to the poster as retarded. I think you could even call a username as being stupid but to alter it's spelling in a deragoaty way is an attack on the poster and not the post. Now go grind his irrational comments to dust. :)
  • Reply 24 of 157

Talk about a red herring.  I guess hip boots were handed out to the jurors for all the Bullshit. 

• Reply 25 of 157

I see them as the same.  Two points are pulled together or apart to make something larger or smaller.  The application may be different, but the gesture is the same.  It think Apple has lost on that one.  The jury is out on rubber-banding...  for me, anyway.

• Reply 26 of 157
    solipsismx wrote: »
    At this point I wouldn't be surprised if they did use the Chewbacca Defense.
    One: http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/103454/the-chewbacca-defense
    And two:
    [VIDEO]
    I can't believe you linked to a site that requires Flash. Those are getting hard to find these days.
  • Reply 27 of 157

This is their best effort at providing 'evidence' of prior art? Very weak. LaunchTile is painful to even watch. Maybe Samsung should be ordered to use this interface as a punishment.

• Reply 28 of 157
    I can't believe you linked to a site that requires Flash. Those are getting hard to find these days.

Unfortunately Comedy Central-based stuff is like that. I think clips, not full episodes, from The Daily Show and Colbert Report are not playable on iDevices. In my defense I did link to an additional video on YouTube.
  • Reply 29 of 157
    gtr wrote: »
    Enlightened minds would love to know...
    Actually...not really.
  • Reply 30 of 157
    appleshare wrote: »
    This is their best effort at providing 'evidence' of prior art? Very weak. LaunchTile is painful to even watch. Maybe Samsung should be ordered to use this interface as a punishment.
    Quite good first post. I'm actually here for the humor, so thanks.

"AppleShare"? I guess we can assume you are over 40?
  • Reply 31 of 157

Quote:

Originally Posted by diplication View Post

Actually...not really.

Actually, I'm quite interested in hearing this.

So, really!

• Reply 32 of 157

If you can't see pinch to zoom in that video, try this one from february 2006:

http://www.ted.com/talks/jeff_han_demos_his_breakthrough_touchscreen.html

2:36 shows one-handed pinch to zoom out, a few seconds later it's a two-handed pull to zoom in.

[sarcasm]Oh, but apple did it on a phone, that's true innovation.[/sarcasm]

• Reply 33 of 157
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsebrech View Post

2:36 shows one-handed pinch to zoom out, a few seconds later it's a two-handed pull to zoom in.

If you think that the iPhone revolutionized the mobile phone industry on this then you're a bigger fool than your memory makes you out to to be.

Show us some evidence that the iPhone revolutionized the mobile phone industry based on 'pinch-to-zoom' alone.

• Reply 34 of 157
    jsebrech wrote: »

Let me get this straight. Apple's efforts are invalidated in your mind because the year before Apple releases a full fledged product they spent many years developing and have patents on multitouch capacitance gestures are null and void because they didn't demo an unfinished concept that wasn't part of an actual product first? Makes perfect sense¡
  • Reply 35 of 157
    Actually, I'm quite interested in hearing this.

So, really!
    Sorry to have awoken you from your eight month slumber. As per usual, you can have the last word.
  • Reply 36 of 157

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleShare View Post

LOL!  I agree!  Sheesh!

• Reply 37 of 157

Apple's '915 Apple's '915 "pinch-to-zoom"

Filed Date: 2007.1.7

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&amp;Sect2=HITOFF&amp;d=PALL&amp;p=1&amp;u=/netahtml/PTO/srchnum.htm&amp;r=1&amp;f=G&amp;l=50&amp;s1=7,844,915.PN.&amp;OS=PN/7,844,915&amp;RS=PN/7,844,915

--------------------------------

"pinch-to-zoom" video from Diamond Table

(time : 1:27 ~ 1:40)

Video upload date : 2006.4.8

Video record date : 2004. 5

: It looks like a "Game Over" to "pinch-to-zoom" patent

• Reply 38 of 157
    zeromeuszeromeus Posts: 182member

On those witnesses and those so called technology known as diamond touch and launchtile....

"LSHMSFOAIDMT

Laughing so hard my sombrero falls off and I drop my taco."

• Reply 39 of 157

Quote:

Originally Posted by 845032 View Post

"Good artists copy great artists steal" -- SJ

But in this case, what does your well-known quote say about a corporation that tries to steal but gets caught and doesn't get away with it?  I suppose Samsung is something less than a good artist and much less than a great artist!

• Reply 40 of 157
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsebrech View Post

Ok THAT example is potentially relevant (depending on whether it was truly "prior") but not those lame examples in the main story that Samsung introduced.

This reminds me of another SJ quote: real artists ship.  Give Apple credit for doing something like this and turning it into a real product and getting it into the hands of millions of people.