More than $60,000 in "computers and personal items" stolen from Steve Jobs' home

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The Palo Alto home of late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs was among the homes that fell prey to Bay Area-wide surge in residential burglaries last month. A suspect was later arrested in the case.

Jobs' home on Waverley Street in Palo Alto was burglarized July 17, Santa Clara County Deputy District Attorney Tom Flattery told the San Jose Mercury News.

Among the items taken were more than $60,000 worth of "computers and personal items," according to Flattery, who declined to say whether the items belonged to Jobs or one of his family members.

A 35-year old Alameda man by the name of Kariem McFarlin was arrested August 2nd in his home town on suspicion of burglarizing the residence and later reselling the stolen property.

He was arraigned August 7th and has remained in the county lockup ahead of his next court date for failing to post $500,000 bail. He faces a maximum prison sentence of seven years and eight months, which would include a one-year enhancement for "excessive taking of property."

Though details of the investigation were kept secret from reporters, Flattery did indicate that police believe McFarlin was likely unaware that the home belonged to Jobs and that his crime was "totally random."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 68
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    The lengths Samsung will go to.
  • Reply 2 of 68
    How dare anyone mess with the temple of the Steve?
  • Reply 3 of 68

When I read that headline, I thought: "the balls on gizmodo..."

• Reply 4 of 68
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Somebody forgot to set the alarm.

• Reply 5 of 68

Why say "burglarized" when you can use burgled? It's like saying "stolenized" instead of stolen or "thieverization" instead of thievery.

• Reply 6 of 68
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

I hope that doesn't mean Steve Job's widow will move out of that house.  I hope not.  I would think that when the burglar was in there, he realized who's house it was assuming there were family photos there.

• Reply 7 of 68
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    igamogam wrote: »
    Why say "burglarized" when you can use burgled? It's like saying "stolenized" instead of stolen or "thieverization" instead of thievery.

Why say homogenized win you can say homogend. Why says rationalize when you can say rationaled. Seriously? Are you really suggesting a word is wrong simply because it's usage is different in another culture? I'm anispeptic, frasmotic, even compunctuous to have you suggest such pericombobulations.

PS: Sausage.
  • Reply 8 of 68
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Why say homogenized win you can say homogend. Why says rationalize when you can say rationaled. Seriously? Are you really suggesting a word is wrong simply because it's usage is different in another culture? I'm anispeptic, frasmotic, even compunctuous to have you suggest such pericombobulations.

Very good.... Blackadder!

• Reply 9 of 68

You'd think they would have had trouble fencing the stolen goods if the serial numbers are all "000000001".

• Reply 10 of 68
    ryukryuk Posts: 29member

Quote:

The lengths Samsung will go to.

image samscum will go to any lenghts for the next idea ... im guessing the glass of water is no longer working

• Reply 11 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by igamogam View Post

For one thing burgled is used generally as an adjective and burglarize a verb.  -ize is a verb-forming suffix and makes a verb from the noun "Burglar", a thief.  Burgled is actually a back-formation and is used chiefly humourously, i.e. Dicken's line "a man of the burgling persuasion."

Also, your examples don't hold water because stolen is a past-participle of a verb and you can't verb-form a verb.  Ditto with thievery, which is the an abstract noun formed from another noun (thief), which is different from forming a verb from a concrete noun. Thieverization is a noun -> abstract noun -> verb -> noun again.   Very redundant and very different than burglarize

• Reply 12 of 68
    elmsleyelmsley Posts: 120member

What exactly was it?  Was it covered in black cloth, with a note "do not open until 2084"? 

• Reply 13 of 68

Cue the Apple Linch Mob...

(I jest, but I imagine there's going to be some really upset people over this story. Hopefully they dont do anything stupid.)

• Reply 14 of 68

Quote:

Sounds like Duckspeak to me. All hail Ingsoc!

• Reply 16 of 68

Originally Posted by sidewaysdesign View Post

You'd think they would have had trouble fencing the stolen goods if the serial numbers are all "000000001".

You mean "000000000". image

Gets a handwritten letter:

"Dear Mike,

It stopped being even for show a long time ago. We know you're just spending ever more in an attempt to create interest in what you might have locked away in the hope that someone will actually try it. Or try to buy your products!

Not working. Sorry.

Sincerely,

All thieves"

• Reply 17 of 68
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    Reading the Steve Jobs bio, you learn that he lived in a "standard" neighborhood... but with billionaire neighbors... So....

the burgler is lucky he is alive... stealing from Billionaires is a stupid move, because in that neighborhood they want to keep their location private... so jail time is preferable to just disappearing... /facetious

RDF...(reality distortion field) is that what kept the burglers away while the Late Steve Jobs was living there ? LOL. /facetious

i wonder how many burglaries happened in that neighborhood when he was alive?...and did any of the burglers survive?.... clue the al pacino line "AND YOU STEAL FOR ME?"...
    meaning the only reason we are hearing about this burgler is because The Late Steve Jobs isn't around to "takin' care of business"... /facetious

"going thermonuclear on you" has a different meaning when you are well connected and have billions...
  • Reply 18 of 68
    chudqchudq Posts: 43member

Samsung did the same thing. Police has been investigating the case now. image

• Reply 19 of 68
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

I guess it was not a good idea to publicize the fact that Steve really did not lock the door on his house. I personally never understood with all his money why he choose to live where he did, but it does say a lot about him and the fact he was not trying to isolate himself from the world like most people with money try to do

• Reply 20 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by igamogam View Post

Now now. Trying to make sense of the English language will get you nowhere. :)