Apple's new mini Dock Connector to feature 9-pin, orientation independent design - sources

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 107
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    It depends on what you mean by "other side."
    Scenario one: Cable is simple. The connector would have, from left to right 12345678 and underneath would have 12345678 without rotating the connector 180°. If you were to rotate the connector 180° it would then 87654321 on top and 87654321 underneath. This basically means that the same piece of metal is exposed on the top and bottom. It also means the iPhone needs to intelligently determine which way it's plugged in.
    Scenario two: Cable is a little complex. The connector would have, from left to right 12345678 and underneath 12345678. When you rotate the connector the pins are still all lined up as 12345678. It's basically what a rollover cable is to ethernet.
    Note that in either scenario the phone doesn't need to have connectors on both side of the plug for it to work. it only needs to connect to the pins once to make a connection. As for the 9th pin, that's the metal contact on the outside. This would most assuredly be the ground (for the power connectors). This is a good design, like in some countries's outlets, because it means the ground occurs first thus adding a level of safety as you plug it in.

Exactly what I'm thinking.. I hope it's true too. Eight pins plus an outside shield/ground is still pretty good, depending on what they give us to work with. Five isn't so good.
  • Reply 102 of 107

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

It's all about speed and simplicity. And to be honest having poor eyesight may also hinder to plug the iDevice connector correctly at the first attempt. So if I have to plugin my iPhone I usually have to put on my glasses first.

For my part I appreciate the double sided connector.

When plugging it in at night before going to bed with a dark room it's super annoying that you can't tell if it isn't going in because it's flipped or because you're slightly off.  On the flip side I have several phone accessories I will no longer be able to use now if I get the iPhone 5, some of which can't be replaced because they were special deals on obscure items.  Sadly it's making me consider the iPhone 4S at the reduced price.

• Reply 103 of 107

Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

On the flip side I have several phone accessories I will no longer be able to use now if I get the 6th iPhone, some of which can't be replaced because they were special deals on obscure items.

Why do you think the adapter won't work with them?

• Reply 104 of 107
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Not only is the NAND slow, it's also less reliable than SSD NAND. One of the reasons Apple is thought to have bought Anobit is that they have technology to increase the endurance of cheap NAND through controller logic.

Adding to Gazoobee's comment about Apple not using cheap NAND their purchase of Anobit is an interesting one because endurance has been a problem for both 1) higher performance NAND, and 2) more compact NAND. Now I have not heard of any issues with Apple's NAND endurance so I have to think that their interest in Anobit is to allow them to push the size and speed envelope while still maintaining acceptable NAND write longevity.
  • Reply 105 of 107
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

Yes but in case he didn't read that thread, the reason MagSafe would be bad for the phone connector is that magnets can interfere w/audio.

The reason MagSafe would be bad for the phone connector is that magnets can erase the magnetic strip on the credit cards in your pocket.

• Reply 106 of 107
    dshandshan Posts: 53member

1. Whenever a site gets an accurate photo of any new Apple part or device Apple immediately demands they be taken down. Lawyers are launched at whoever uses them. Hasn't happened with any of the supposed new iPhone parts or these new dock photos. That means they're very likely either fake or deliberate Apple disinformation. Same for the shots of supposed new iPhone back shell and motherboard.

2. Going from a 30-pin to 19-pin dock connector is easy for both Apple and 3rd party accessories makers, just eliminate the pins for Firewire and obsolete iPod hardware. A 19-pin dock makes sense, a 9-pin dock does not (accessory makers would have to totally retool and redesign their add-ons, much more hardware and software/firmware required). Totally different accessory architecture. More complex and expensive to make compatible accessories. Again this means these 9-pin shots are likely fake.

3. References in iOS 6 files to 9-pin dock are likely either mistaken or deliberate Apple misinformation. They've been putting all sorts of fake model numbers and stuff in OS files for a while now, this could easily be more of that.

It is very unlikely these photos and the 9-pin dock connector are for real. You've been punked. Again.

• Reply 107 of 107
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by dshan View Post

1. Whenever a site gets an accurate photo of any new Apple part or device Apple immediately demands they be taken down. Lawyers are launched at whoever uses them.

2. Going from a 30-pin to 19-pin dock connector is easy for both Apple and 3rd party accessories makers, just eliminate the pins for Firewire and obsolete iPod hardware. A 19-pin dock makes sense, a 9-pin dock does not (accessory makers would have to totally retool and redesign their add-ons, much more hardware and software/firmware required). Totally different accessory architecture. More complex and expensive to make compatible accessories. Again this means these 9-pin shots are likely fake.

3. References in iOS 6 files to 9-pin dock are likely either mistaken or deliberate Apple misinformation. They've been putting all sorts of fake model numbers and stuff in OS files for a while now, this could easily be more of that.

It is very unlikely these photos and the 9-pin dock connector are for real. You've been punked. Again.

1. This hasn't happened in over three years. Apple does not do this anymore. It instantly legitimizes everything that we see before the takedown. They know better than to do that. Dozens upon dozens of pictures have been posted since Apple stopped doing that that have been proven to be real.

2. Why would Apple care at all about third parties? They're going to do what is best for them and anyone else can build stuff they want if they want.

3. Or they're legitimate. They only put fake model numbers in one version once.

Sounds to me like they're all legit.