Judge angered by continued Apple, Samsung courtroom "theatrics"

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple v. Samsung presiding Judge Lucy Koh on Tuesday seemed to have had enough of the parties' legal maneuvering, the latest being an Apple and Intel bid to block testimony from a Samsung witness just hours before he was slated to take the stand.

A culmination of courtroom "theatrics" came to a head on Tuesday when Judge Koh told Apple and Samsung counsel that, "I want papers. I don't trust what any lawyer tells me in this courtroom. I want to see actual papers." The judge made the strongly-worded declaration after Apple and Intel lawyers proposed a barring of testimony from Samsung witness Tim Williams.

As reported by CNet, Apple claims Williams did not properly disclose that he had signed nondisclosure agreements, including one from Intel prohibiting him from talking about the chip maker's source code. Samsung had brought Williams in to testify that Apple infringes on the Korean company's cellular and data transmission patents, with the discussion expected to include talk of the source code covered in the NDA.

An Intel lawyer entered court to say Williams was almost involved with a separate ITC and Motorola case concerning the same issue, but more importantly noted the witness had not disclosed in his resume the multitude of NDAs he had signed, as well as his role in other cases.

"We raised this issue with Samsung, they told us they'd get back to us on this issue," the Intel lawyer said. "The issue was then dropped, we didn't hear anything else from Dr. Williams. He didn't do ITC, then we got notice about him being in this case."

While the Intel and Apple arguments are not unusual, the timing in which they were presented was, with the objections coming mere hours before Williams was scheduled to testify. Judge Koh decided Williams would not be able to take the stand until Samsung, Apple and Intel worked through the NDA arguments. Intel later downgraded its objection, saying it no longer sought to have the testimony blocked and instead requested sanctions against Samsung for the alleged misconduct.

Judge Lucy Koh
Judge Lucy Koh. | Source: U.S. District Court

Tuesday's developments are a continuation of unorthodox legal maneuvers taken by both parties, though it appears Samsung has faced the brunt of Judge Koh's ire as the company has already been sanctioned four times. At one point the judge called attention the parties' sloppy case handling, saying, "I will not let any theatrics or sideshows distract us from what we're here to do, which is to fairly and timely decide this case."

In a recent example of "theatrics," Samsung lead counsel John Quinn was reprimanded for authorizing a "leak" of excluded court evidence pertaining to a "Sony-styled" iPhone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    I must say I'm quite enjoying this case. It's been both educational and entertaining!
  • Reply 2 of 34

but they are WINNING!!

• Reply 3 of 34
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Like these theatrics? Thanks for the idea daratbastid

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 4 of 34
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

So much for claims of Koh's Apple bias. 

• Reply 5 of 34
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member

I'm warning you!  If you don't straighten up and fly right.............I'll warn you again!

I really, really, REALLY mean it!

• Reply 6 of 34
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by quinney View Post

I'm warning you!  If you don't straighten up and fly right.............I'll warn you again!

I really, really, REALLY mean it!

The UN's gonna sue Koh for copying.

• Reply 7 of 34

As i predicted It looks like lucy KOhREA is taking sides with samscum. ONE HUGE obstacle that could make apple lose the case is the judge and her korean background.

Lucy Koh is the most prominent korean American Judge in US. How unbiased she is when it comes to moderating the case? Koreans view Samsuck as the pride of korea. The company and all its subsideriaries samsuck (semiconductor mfg, samsung motors etc) represents over 50% of korea GDP and is the largest employer in Korea by far. Lucy Koh was educated in America but I am sure her heritage and conservative korean upbringing impacts her decision one way or another.

samsuck, lotte and hyundai single-handedly bankroll south korea, Lucy Koh could be receiving intense cultural pressure from the "korean community" to protect Samsung, and there is a possibility that her or her family will be financially rewarded for doing so. Samsung would rather pay-off korean American lucy than pay billions to apple in damages. Trust me, Samsung sees her ethnicity (and loyalty) as an advantage.

I hope the judge DOES NOT screw apple and America over...

• Reply 8 of 34
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Takeshima View Post

… Holy cow, someone actually believes this.

She's an American of Korean descent. Come off it.

• Reply 9 of 34

You go, girl.

• Reply 10 of 34
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Like these theatrics? Thanks for the idea daratbastid

video:

I raise you...

[VIDEO]

PS: Samsung is Apple's shadow.

… Holy cow, someone actually believes this.

She's an American of Korean descent. Come off it.

This is part of the reason why I hate decent posters who use the Samscum, Windoze, etc. comments in their posts. It really just ties them to these other kinds of posts and does nothing to make an argument better.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Koreans view Samsuck as the pride of korea.

Pride? I'll assume that Samsung's activities aren't exactly a secret. If Koreans are "proud" about this, they have questionable taste. 

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/151659/samsung-takes-excluded-evidence-to-the-media-gets-reprimanded/40#post_2158987

Of course, delusion can operate on a national level:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCarthyism

• Reply 12 of 34

Quote:

Samsuck as the pride of korea. 

While you are correct, Koreans also love the iPhone and iPad and buy them in droves once Samscum was no longer able to stop the citizens from buying them.

• Reply 13 of 34

Wow. The judge comes off as a bit thin-skinned. What the heck is so wrong with Apple and Intel asking her to bar a defense witness because he didn't address some NDA issues, they waited thinking he and Samsung would, but Samsung sprung him on them anyway? What else were they supposed to do?

If anything, for Intel to come back and say the equivalent of, "sure, let him go ahead; but please discipline Samsung for pushing the envelope" was magnanimous. And reasonable.

• Reply 14 of 34

Quote:

As i predicted It looks like lucy KOhREA is taking sides etc etc....

Please stop posting nonsense.

• Reply 15 of 34

Okay, this thread is broken, and I'm trying to figure out why… 

"The guy spewing racially-fueled nonsense!"

No, no, not that; some Huddler features. Buttons aren't working, dropdowns don't appear, and if you try to hide or show a post, the page jumps back to the top. 

Oh, no… One of my extensions has started blocking Huddler features… Now I have to go through all of my extensions one by one and find out what's going on… 

Is anyone else having that trouble with this thread or any others? I might be able to narrow down the extensions if others have the same trouble with my same extensions.

Symptoms include:

Name triangles disappearing and the dropdown not working.

Plus-one thumb text box not appearing.

And if anyone has people on their block list and is having the above two problems, try showing one of their hidden posts and see if the page jumps you to the top.

• Reply 16 of 34

@Takeshima

Lucy Koh is a Korean ?

Your nonsense is same as Polish descent Steve Wozniak is Polish, Not American.

"Born in Washington, D.C., Koh earned an Artium Baccalaureus Degree from Harvard College in Social Studies in 1990 and a Juris Doctorate from Harvard Law School in 1993" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucy_H._Koh

Her spent most of life in US.

She can't even speak korean.

Unlike your nonsense, On the contrary, Samsung think she is a very biased judge.

Judge Says NO To Testimony From Samsung Designer

http://galaxystocks.com/24615/business-news/judge-says-no-to-testimony-from-samsung-designer-aapl/

Judge bars Samsung designer from testifying in Apple trial

Read more: http://www.itproportal.com/2012/08/13/judge-bars-samsung-designer-from-testifying-in-apple-trial/#ixzz23SuNRUQM

Key Samsung designer barred from testifying in Apple case

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57491835-37/key-samsung-designer-barred-from-testifying-in-apple-case/

• Reply 17 of 34

Quote:

Samsuck. Trust me.

Your ID is suck ! Don't even try to steal an island from others as a war criminal country. The liancourt rocks are not yours.

• Reply 18 of 34

Quote:

samsuck, . Trust me.

Your ID is one of samsuck. Don't even try to steal an island from others especially as a war criminal country. The liancourt rocks are not yours.

• Reply 19 of 34
    Okay, this thread is broken, and I'm trying to figure out why… 
    Must be you, everything is normal. That doesn't mean everything is working, just nothing has changed.

Although no one on my block list has posted yet. Where is GatorGuy when you need him?
  • Reply 20 of 34

@ Takeshima

The liancourt rocks are a territory of South Korea. Samsung is trying to steal Apple's intellectual properties and your country is trying to steal other's island.