Apple's talks with Korean carriers further suggest next iPhone will support LTE networks

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Support for the speedier Long Term Evolution (LTE) -- or 4G -- networks by Apple's next iPhone has been more of an expectancy than a certainty, though the latest report on the matter drops more clues that the technology is finally ripe for Apple's picking.

SK Telecom and KT, two official iPhone wireless carriers in Korea, have both been in talks to offer LTE connectivity on Apple?s next handed, officials from both companies reportedly told the Korea Times under the veil of anonymity.

Although industry trends and the inclusion of LTE in this year's iPad models both point to an LTE-capable iPhone next month, supporting the technology isn't as clean cut as supporting existing 3G networks, which all operate within a 2.1-gigahertz frequency.

"KT is in negotiation with Apple to persuade the latter to support KT?s 1.8-gigahertz frequency in Korea for the upcoming iPhone,?? said one senior KT executive, who asked not to be identified. Meanwhile, SK Telecom is also reportedly pushing for the same treatment for its 800-megahertz frequency LTE network. It sent this week an official to Apple's Cupertino-based headquarters in hopes of hammering out a deal.

The number of LTE subscribers in Korea reached 8.4 million by the end of July, with 4 million of them choosing SK's network and another 1.4 hinged to KT's. The two iPhone providers, along with rival carrier LG Uplus, have been heavily promoting LTE devices on their network to much success.

The carriers fear, however, that sales of the new iPhone will suffer in much the same way that sales of Apple's new iPad have lagged behind in the region because Apple has thus far refused to support the local carriers' frequencies in the LTE-equipped versions of the tablet.

"KT is eager to narrow the market gap with SK Telecom and even LG Uplus in the fight for LTE-enabled devices," said another KT source. "If the talks with Apple produce visible results, then we will rise as the top LTE service provider in Korea."

Purported iPhone leak
A rendering of Apple's next iPhone based on leaked casing photos.

Apple had balked at the inclusion of LTE connectivity in previous generations of the iPhone because because the first wave of LTE chipset were a bit too larger and power-hungry for the company's liking. Since then, more advanced designs from chipmakers like Qualcomm have mitigated those concerns.

In the US, Verizon LTE network uses a 700-megahertz frequency, while AT&T operates both 700-megahertz and 2.1-gigahertz LTE networks.

For its part, Sprint's utilization a 800-megahertz frequency for LTE saw it left out of Apple's LTE iPad plans earlier this year but subsequent reports claim the carrier has already forged a deal with Apple to make sure the omission doesn't carry over to the launch of the so-called iPhone 5 next month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

"Right, you kick Samsung out your doors and we'll give you the phone that everyone wants, plus the right to offer free Bumpers to your customers (you'll still be paying for them of course)."

• Reply 2 of 32
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member

I assumed this was a given? The iPad 3 supports it. Why wouldn't the new iPhone?

• Reply 3 of 32
    "Support for the speedier Long Term Evolution (LTE) -- or true 4G"

WHAT? "TRUE 4G"? True 4G doesn't exist. True 4G requires 1 gigabit per second speeds, LTE does not have that. This really pisses me off, that the carriers have tricked everybody, even TECH bloggers, that they have "true 4G". Well they don't. LTE advanced will be the first network technology to actually be 4G according to the International Telecommunications Union-Radio communications sector.

Wikipedia:

Since the above mentioned first-release versions of Mobile WiMAX and LTE support much less than 1 Gbit/s peak bit rate, they are not fully IMT-Advanced compliant, but are often branded 4G by service providers. On December 6, 2010, ITU-R recognized that these two technologies, as well as other beyond-3G technologies that do not fulfill the IMT-Advanced requirements, could nevertheless be considered "4G", provided they represent forerunners to IMT-Advanced compliant versions and "a substantial level of improvement in performance and capabilities with respect to the initial third generation systems now deployed".[2]
    Mobile WiMAX Release 2 (also known as WirelessMAN-Advanced or IEEE 802.16m') and LTE Advanced (LTE-A) are IMT-Advanced compliant backwards compatible versions of the above two systems, standardized during the spring 2011,[citation needed] and promising peak bit rates in the order of 1 Gbit/s. Services are expected in 2013.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4g#Technical_definition

EDIT: ooh yay they changed it
  • Reply 4 of 32
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

How many different LTE bands are there worldwide? Is there any single chip that can support them all?

I was looking up info on Central American countries of which many are in the beginning stages of implementing LTE. I hope they are compatible with the next iPhone, although I cannot find the information on the frequencies.

• Reply 5 of 32

Meanwhile, Verizon LTE saturates the Philly area, and not a sign of AT&T.

Can you still not talk and surf on Verizon's network? If you can, AT&T can kiss me goodbye next month.

• Reply 6 of 32
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

How many different LTE bands are there worldwide? Is there any single chip that can support them all?

I was looking up info on Central American countries of which many are in the beginning stages of implementing LTE. I hope they are compatible with the next iPhone, although I cannot find the information on the frequencies.

Good question. I heard on MacBreak Weekly that there are 9 bands that must be covered to be 'world wide capable'. And no 'known' chips can do that. Of course this is just a pundits comment

• Reply 7 of 32
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member

Quote:

Originally Posted by logandigges View Post

"Support for the speedier Long Term Evolution (LTE) -- or true 4G"

WHAT? "TRUE 4G"? True 4G doesn't exist. True 4G requires 1 gigabit per second speeds, LTE does not have that. This really pisses me off, that the carriers have tricked everybody, even TECH bloggers, that they have "true 4G". Well they don't. LTE advanced will be the first network technology to actually be 4G according to the International Telecommunications Union-Radio communications sector.

Wikipedia:

Since the above mentioned first-release versions of Mobile WiMAX and LTE support much less than 1 Gbit/s peak bit rate, they are not fully IMT-Advanced compliant, but are often branded 4G by service providers. On December 6, 2010, ITU-R recognized that these two technologies, as well as other beyond-3G technologies that do not fulfill the IMT-Advanced requirements, could nevertheless be considered "4G", provided they represent forerunners to IMT-Advanced compliant versions and "a substantial level of improvement in performance and capabilities with respect to the initial third generation systems now deployed".[2]

Mobile WiMAX Release 2 (also known as WirelessMAN-Advanced or IEEE 802.16m') and LTE Advanced (LTE-A) are IMT-Advanced compliant backwards compatible versions of the above two systems, standardized during the spring 2011,[citation needed] and promising peak bit rates in the order of 1 Gbit/s. Services are expected in 2013.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4g#Technical_definition

They lost that battle long ago. If everyone but a single company refuses to put the '4G' label on a device, then it just appears inferior. They haven't tricked anyone. Everyone just gave up waiting for a standard that wasn't going to get here any time soon. In reference to WiMAX and LTE:

Quote:

On December 6, 2010, ITU-R recognized that these two technologies, as well as other beyond-3G technologies that do not fulfill the IMT-Advanced requirements, could nevertheless be considered "4G", provided they represent forerunners to IMT-Advanced compliant versions and "a substantial level of improvement in performance and capabilities with respect to the initial third generation systems now deployed"

ref:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4G

• Reply 8 of 32
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member
    applezilla wrote: »

Can you still not talk and surf on Verizon's network? If you can, AT&T can kiss me goodbye next month.

Yes you can with Verizon lte
  • Reply 9 of 32

I'm not sure I care if it has 4G, I'll most likely just turn it off to save power. With my iPhone 4, I used to turn off 3G all the time so I could go 2 days between charges (on campus has wifi everywhere). 

Anyway, 99% certain that I will be getting this phone.

On a side note, I have managed to get the funds together for a MacBook Pro with Retina Display, does anyone know the start time for a 16gb model?

Additionally, there is that one person on this site that said I was never interested in getting a Mac.  Don't think it will be fun, but I will FINALLY switch to Macs lol     Though, I will still need Windows 7 on it

• Reply 10 of 32
    djrumpy wrote: »
    <span style="background-color:rgb(241,241,241);">They lost that battle long ago. If everyone but a single company refuses to put the '4G' label on a device, then it just appears inferior. They haven't tricked anyone. Everyone just gave up waiting for a standard that wasn't going to get here any time soon. In reference to WiMAX and LTE:</span>

ref:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4G

ATT iPhone 4S already has 4G
  • Reply 11 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

You have to put it "4G"

Its like T-moblie, its "4G" but not 4G LTE        a marketing lie more or less if you ask me

• Reply 12 of 32

FWIW - LTE is pretty badass...

The noticeable speeds I have seen in SF...

iPhone 4 with 3G... 1mbps

Nokia Lumia with 4G... 4mbps

Nokia Lumia with LTE... 15mbps

Fastest LTE connection seen so far... 25mbps in Blackhawk, CA.

In comparison, my Comcast Cable averages around 10mbps-15mbps max around 20mbps.

Once you guys get LTE on the iPhone 5, you WILL feel like you've been ripped off paying for 3G/4G as LTE costs as much as the normal data plan.

• Reply 13 of 32

Not in the slightest. 4G is LTE and up, not HSPA+ garbage. If you want to pretend the iPhone 4S has 4G, then by definition my first-gen iPhone also has 4G, even when it's on GPRS. 

• Reply 14 of 32
    luxom3 wrote: »

In comparison, my Comcast Cable averages around 10mbps-15mbps max around 20mbps.

Once you guys get LTE on the iPhone 5, you WILL feel like you've been ripped off paying for 3G/4G as LTE costs as much as the normal data plan.

<div id="user_ynano_hooks_page" style="display:none;">
    <div id="user_callsToClient_page" style="display:none;"> </div>

<div id="user_eventsFromClient_page" style="display:none;"> </div>

</div>

<div style="display:none;">
    <div style="display:none;"> </div>

<div style="display:none;"> </div>

</div>

No one has solved the LTE drain issue. Putting a large battery like the iPad 3 and droid maxx was one way to differ the issue. Might be a reason why apple increased the screen size of the iphone 5.
  • Reply 15 of 32
    Not in the slightest. 4G is LTE and up, not HSPA+ garbage. If you want to pretend the iPhone 4S has 4G, then by definition my first-gen iPhone also has 4G, even when it's on GPRS. 

Thank you. Maybe some people will listen to you instead of being morons.
  • Reply 16 of 32

Quote:

Yes you can with Verizon lte

LTE currently doesn't support calling (unless you are on MetroPCS, which has VoLTE).

So the next iPhone could use LTE for data and 3G for calling (On CDMA, unless you fall back on 3G, then no call/data at the same time).

If major carriers finally add VoLTE, then we won't need EDGE/GPRS/4G wimax/4G H+/etc....  We will use LTE only.

• Reply 17 of 32
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    mstone wrote: »

There is likely not one chip, which means that AMERICAN company Apple will likely focus on what is supported in America first and as the situation stabilizes to only 2-3 frequencies then they will branch out. Basically the same tactic they used with the iPad
  • Reply 18 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuxoM3 View Post

Yes, LTE plans cost the same as 3G/4G H+ plans BUT, LTE burns more data than 3G/4G H+ (Videos go to HD everytime, pages load faster, etc.....).

• Reply 19 of 32

Originally Posted by Eric Litvin View Post

LTE currently doesn't support calling (unless you are on MetroPCS, which has VoLTE).

Yes, the voice band of LTE isn't finalized yet, but I don't see how that stops Verizon users from making calls and using data at the same time. We already know that LTE works like that for them and for AT&T. 

Calling is CDMA and data is LTE on Verizon in places of LTE. Where Verizon users can't do both simultaneously is where they DON'T have LTE yet.

• Reply 20 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

If you're in an LTE area, yes you can.  However if there is no LTE coverage, you can't.