Burglar who swiped Steve Jobs' wallet, computers quickly traced after powering them on

Comments

• Reply 61 of 88
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    tcphoto wrote: »
    So, Apple will assist the Police in recovering stolen Apple products from the Job's family but will not do so for others. If you look at different Mac forums, there are multiple threads about lost or stolen iphones, iPads and MBP's that owners have used the find my device feature but Police will not help them. I'm sorry to hear about the break in but how about a little justice for all.

Apple likely didn't do anything. It is more likely the items were traced because someone had set up iCloud with 'find my' whatever turned on. If you try to track a item that is offline you can have the system email you if it comes back on. Which the cops could use to track the items. No need to involve Apple directly.

Apple stores etc don't get involved if you walk in and make a claim because legally they can't. They lack the authority to do anything. If you file a proper police report and the police, who have the authority to make a request, make one then that's a different game
  • Reply 62 of 88

I'm okay with a having social safety net, but there's no excuse for this crime.

And I've zero sympathy for this person and very much doubt he'll have any idea of the suffering he's caused.  I've experienced first hand of a loved one's possessions that have been stolen after they've recently died.

• Reply 63 of 88
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Now if only the police could be so diligent when the house of ordinary people gets burglarized.

Who says they aren't. Joe Smith getting robbed doesn't get page hits so what did or didn't happen doesn't get talked about.
  • Reply 64 of 88
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Yeah it is the original article page that still has the screwed up prices and such. I have to thank you for your efforts here but really AI should try harder from the standpoint of editing articles. Frankly I'm not sure how article submission works but this one was so bad it should never had made it into the system. Frankly it should have been sent back to the author with a message to try harder.

I sit here realizing that I have terrible writing and English skills, and further an iPad is typo city but the articles posted are the face of AI. As such you would sort of expect a bit of quality control simply to keep AI becoming the laughing stock of the rumor web mills. Editing is in fact a form of quality control, something AI needs. Either that or they start restricting posts to authors who are at least somewhat accomplished.
    I edited it over two hours ago. Is it still there for you? I can't edit the article page itself; that's admin and above, I believe.
    Caching problems maybe?
  • Reply 65 of 88
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

You're really twisting things around here.  Almost all petty theft is to get money for drug addiction.  The idea that he was just "hungry" is stupid.  There are food banks everywhere and they are generally over-stocked in my town.

They USED to be overstocked. Nowadays food banks have been running low on supplies.

• Reply 66 of 88
    ronbo wrote: »
     I see where you're coming from, but when I use cash, it basically means the cost of everything I buy is rounded up to the nearest dollar, because I don't use a coin purse. So I'm getting coins that I'm never spending. They just accumulate in a bucket over there.

Err throw those coins in your pocket! I use them for coffe / coke / cookies or whatever at work when I forget to bring something in.

As to pennies yes they are a problem. I throw mine into a one gallon paint can. After a biti take it to one of those machines to be counted and credit offered up. It is easier than going to the bank and depending upon how full the can is can mean $30 to $50. That is nothing to sneeze at. By the way don't sneeze while carrying the can, all that change is very heavy!????????????????????
  • Reply 67 of 88
    Didn't Canada just do that? That is stop making pennys.

I'm not sure about nickels but getting rid of pennys would be a very wise move.
    Coin machines at the bank. Turn into bills. Small fee. Works great! I hate change myself. The penny and nickel should both be dropped; round to the nearest 10. The penny's over 2¢ to make and the nickel is TWELVE CENTS to make.
  • Reply 68 of 88
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

We're all a few days short of not eating of being criminals. There are more families in homeless shelters than ever before. There are piss poor broke people that were millionaires just a few years ago. Cut the guy a little slack.

Nonsense.  This guy was able to take that very expensive necklace and have it sold to some shady buyer.  He's been in the racket enough doing this.  The fact he was "desperate" was him just playing the SOB card.

Maybe he was "desperate", desperate to make his next heist.  I have zero sympathy for this guy.

• Reply 69 of 88
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

Quote:

Originally Posted by grblade View Post

The amount of proofreading errors in this article is ridiculous

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I just read over the article and fixed some. Do you see more?

Well, yeah.  No one's pointed out the illogical syntax in the headline. I, for one would be interested to see how he "powered Steve's wallet on," unless it was a prototype iWallet of course....  

(But we all know that "wallets" are actually on the list of things to be converged in one's do-all iDevice just down the road.....   http://exilelifestyle.com/19-things-you-can-replace-with-an-iphone/)     

*["Burglar who swiped Steve Jobs' wallet, computers quickly traced after powering them on"]

• Reply 70 of 88
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    This is insane!
    First off this is plain old leftist bull crap, there are resources even for those that have lost everything. Beyond that even those that have nothing can have morals and self respect.
    Maybe maybe not, you really can't trust the statistics that are often manipulated so that organizations can benefit from the creation of false concern.
    yep! Is that a bad thing? One of the things the media harps on all the time is about the rich getting richer, they never ever mention the people that loose everything, the businesses that go under or the retirement funds that have been depleted.
    No way in hell, guys like this should be stood up against a wall and bombarded with a fire hose up until dead!!! They really need to suffer through their execution. There simply is no excuse for ever breaking into somebodies home. There is really no rational for ever making such activity acceptable.

Executed for robbery? Are you kidding me? Are material things that important to you? I hate thieves as much as anybody but I don't wish them death. The first people that should be executed are the likes of Bernie Madoff, and the Enron people. They destroyed people's lives. This guy merely inconvenienced the Jobs family. Don't be mad at the guy that'll rob you of your pension check be mad at the guy that'll rob your entire pension.
  • Reply 71 of 88
    sflocal wrote: »

Nonsense.  This guy was able to take that very expensive necklace and have it sold to some shady buyer.  He's been in the racket enough doing this.  The fact he was "desperate" was him just playing the SOB card.

Maybe he was "desperate", desperate to make his next heist.  I have zero sympathy for this guy.

Very expensive is subjective. With my salary yes that necklace is very expensive but with the money Laurene has it's the equivalent of a few hundred dollars to the average person. I'm not saying it's not bad it just seems worse to us.
  • Reply 72 of 88
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

But did the burglar have Jobs' password to get into his system?  There is a log in screen.

• Reply 73 of 88

You know what, for things that have a sentimental value, which exceeds the list price of the item.  For Police reports, they have to put down a retail value if it is something that can be replaced from a Store.  If the guy took one of a kind art work, then they have to have an appraised market value.  But if Steve bought his wife some nice necklaces, she has a lot of sentimental value, because that was given to her by her husband, regardless of the price tag.

Some people just don't get it. Just because Jobs and his wife are rich, doesn't mean everything is based on the price tag.  I'm sure his wife would have put more value on a necklace Steve bought her for a present that cost $5 that was unique than if she went out and bought a $50K necklace from a jewelry store with the money from the estate after Steve passed away.

• Reply 74 of 88

Having someone enter your house or steal or violate your civil rights, it doesn't feel very good.  People go through a LOT of mental anguish over being ripped off or having you rights violated. But criminals don't seem to care, because THEY are the one's doing it and they aren't usually remorseful, unless it is to get a lower sentencing.

• Reply 75 of 88
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Having someone enter your house or steal or violate your civil rights, it doesn't feel very good.  People go through a LOT of mental anguish over being ripped off or having you rights violated. But criminals don't seem to care, because THEY are the one's doing it and they aren't usually remorseful, unless it is to get a lower sentencing.

This ticks me off so much. So frigging much.

Does anyone else see the big picture here?

Steve Jobs has been stolen from by two entities.

The first stole out of alleged desperation. A lone figure in a sea of nearly 7 billion. A man who, with more intelligence, could have easily slipped quietly into the night, never to be heard from again. A man who, when caught and notified of the magnitude of his crime, felt alleged remorse and desired to write a personal apology to the people from whom he stole, meaning them no disrespect personally. I know I said elsewhere that if he took the wallet, he'd know who he'd stolen from, but if he hadn't opened the wallet in the dark, he wouldn't have known. This man is certain to be punished for his crime, swiftly and severely, even if his remorse truly is genuine.

The second stole out of greed, laziness, and apathy. A large presence in a small room. A company who, with more intelligence, could have easily avoided this entire debacle, becoming a second bastion of innovation in an industry with only one oasis in the desert. A company who, when caught and notified of the magnitude of its crime, claimed that they were the ones being stolen from, not the other way around. This company has a very real chance of getting away with their crime scot-free, and they don't feel an ounce of remorse, faked or otherwise.

It makes me livid. 

• Reply 76 of 88
    lerxtlerxt Posts: 186member
    Name a former millionaire who has nothing now?
    Bernie Madoff.

You Americans attitude to people in your society who are having a difficult time is appalling.
  • Reply 77 of 88

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Name one millionaire (someone who had $1 million or more in assets, not including the home they lived in), who is now piss poor.  

For a start, google "list of madoff victims names". Then try "number of personal bankruptcies in 2010", etc. 

• Reply 78 of 88

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

We're all a few days short of not eating of being criminals. There are more families in homeless shelters than ever before. There are piss poor broke people that were millionaires just a few years ago. Cut the guy a little slack.

This guy apparently knew exactly what he was doing and went for the high value stuff:  computers, wallets and jewelry.  According to the article, he didn't just swipe the stuff he needed to put food on his table; it was the equivalent of a full year's salary.  Then he seemingly had enough experience to plan his escape carefully by throwing cushions on the other side of the fence to protect the booty.  If all that is true, he was a professional and he gets no sympathy. 

• Reply 79 of 88
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

They USED to be overstocked. Nowadays food banks have been running low on supplies.

Well, not in my city (which is what I claimed).  There is so much middle class guilt that they are overflowing and if you take a look at the line-ups sometime they are a long way from being filled exclusively by the poor.  Sadly, no one is going to "check" if you are poor at a food bank and a lot of greedy assholes just line up for the free food so they have more money for themselves.  

Also, (forgot to mention), any decent society has welfare, food stamps etc. 

My main point was that no one steals because "they're hungry."  Money for drugs (booze, cigarettes, crack etc.).  That's what it's really all about. 

Legalise drugs and B&E's almost disappear overnight.  

• Reply 80 of 88

This guy apparently knew exactly what he was doing and went for the high value stuff:  computers, wallets and jewelry.  According to the article, he didn't just swipe the stuff he needed to put food on his table; it was the equivalent of a full year's salary.  Then he seemingly had enough experience to plan his escape carefully by throwing cushions on the other side of the fence to protect the booty.  If all that is true, he was a professional and he gets no sympathy. 

What else would he have stolen? Socks. Everybody knows that jewelry and electronics are the easiest items to turn into cash. It also doesn't take a genius to know if you throw electronic equipment over a fence there's a very good chance it'll get damaged.