Judge says 'it's time for peace,' asks Apple and Samsung CEOs to discuss settlement

Comments

• Reply 61 of 103
    tooltalktooltalk Posts: 766member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

DId Apple have wind of Samsung's product?  The first iPhone was in development 2 1/2 years prior to the first iPhone was announced is what Jobs mentioned at the MacWorld announcement date in Jan. 2007.  But since Samsung is a supplier of PANELS FOR THE iPHONE, when did Apple give them specs for a new panel to use, so Apple probably discussions about THEIR product BEFORE Samsung started developing THEIR product. Is what I think.  I think it would be important for Apple to find out what the first day they began discussions on obtaining components from Samsung.  That may have been long before the Samsung designs.  The first iPhone was released in Jan 2007, so Apple would have to have a LOT more than 6 months to develop and sell a product and Apple was going to Samsung for components.  That's what I think.

Very unlikely,  IIRC, Toshiba and LG were the main suppliers of panels for the early generations of iPhone.  I don't think Samsung makes iPhone's display panel to this date - though Apple had to go beg Samsung for iPad 2 and the new iPad when LG (and Sharp) started having manufacturing problems.  

• Reply 62 of 103
    tooltalktooltalk Posts: 766member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Interesting that she comments both sides are over-reaching since the predominant view (and not just from AI articles) is that it's a clear win for Apple, as good as $2B+ in the bank and sales blocked in the US.

it really depends on what you are reading, though I have to agree tha MSM seems to favor Apple - obviously not even without hearing Samsung's defense/offense.   Try non-fanboy, anti-FUD sites like Groklaw.net, for instance.

• Reply 63 of 103
    luxom3 wrote: »
    CC - it's a fan site man. They're ignoring you because you made a point in favor of Samsung.

<div id="user_ynano_hooks_page" style="display:none;">
    <div id="user_callsToClient_page" style="display:none;"> </div>

<div id="user_eventsFromClient_page" style="display:none;"> </div>

</div>

<div style="display:none;">
    <div style="display:none;"> </div>

<div style="display:none;"> </div>

</div>

You're finally getting it, man!

Duh.
  • Reply 64 of 103
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member

Quote:

Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

No matter what, Apple is moving its billions away from Samsung. This will not go well for Samsung. All manufacturing will not be done by them anymore. Other companies like LG and Panasonic will take Apple's business in no time!

Not only Apple.  Do other consumer electronics companies who buy components from Samsung want to take the risk that Samsung will produce copies of their inventions?

I guess Samsung can always sell to all the other copyists.  If Samsung prevails in this court case, there will be plenty more of them.

• Reply 65 of 103

- - 

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 66 of 103

oops I think maybe SangSung and Apple will come to an agreement before Jury decision? Seems like Tim Cook really would want this

• Reply 67 of 103
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by looped View Post

Holy shit are some of you totally deluded! (Nice start to coming out of retirement on AI.)

Judge Koh has been labelled an Apple shill in regards to this court case, and at times I have agreed with that. To be honest, I think her asking for peaceful talks, is primarily because she thinks Appel are gunna have their asses handed to them by a jury verdict, therefore, to protect her Apple chums, she's now dragging up the peaceful settlement question.

Apple came to this case with all the cheerleading from Apple fans around the world, and they put on an impressive show, at first. Then Samsung basically demolished Apple when they took to the stand by means of getting to the heart of the matter and saying some of these Apple patents should be invalidated. Quite right, too.

Samsung didn't copy Apple. that was bullshit.

During this case she started as a "Samsung shill" if you remember her initial ruling not to allow Apple's requests for injunctions until it was overruled on appeal, now she is labelled an "Apple shill" simply because she has admonished Samsung's legal team over messes of THEIR own creation whether intentional or accidental.

This seems to indicate that overall she is doing a fairly good job at being impartial.

• Reply 68 of 103
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

Very unlikely,  IIRC, Toshiba and LG were the main suppliers of panels for the early generations of iPhone.  I don't think Samsung makes iPhone's display panel to this date - though Apple had to go beg Samsung for iPad 2 and the new iPad when LG (and Sharp) started having manufacturing problems.  

I dislike the added semantics. In your case you've suggested Apple was begging when they either did or did not have the manufacturing capacity. If they had it, contracts are always good when the customer is credit worthy. In the iphone, they were using LG displays as LG basically has the market cornered on IPS panels. They make virtually all of them in desktop displays. I don't care who it supports. The added semantics are dumb. It's just as stupid when people come up with variations on the names Samsung and Apple thinking they're clever. Whoever feels "Samesung" or "Crapple" are clever names should submit themselves for psychological evaluation.

• Reply 69 of 103

Quote:

Originally Posted by 845032 View Post

Judge Says NO To Testimony From Samsung Designer

http://galaxystocks.com/24615/business-news/judge-says-no-to-testimony-from-samsung-designer-aapl/

Judge bars Samsung designer from testifying in Apple trial

Read more: http://www.itproportal.com/2012/08/13/judge-bars-samsung-designer-from-testifying-in-apple-trial/#ixzz23SuNRUQM

Key Samsung designer barred from testifying in Apple case

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57491835-37/key-samsung-designer-barred-from-testifying-in-apple-case/

Honestly, it probably is already over, because from day one, the judge decided to bar any evidence that might work against Apple.?

Perhaps you should take it up with Samsung's legal team, after all they are the one's who f**ked up following the rules of admissible evidence.

• Reply 70 of 103
    deleted
  • Reply 71 of 103
    emacs72emacs72 Posts: 356member

Quote:

That, and because he's a returning user previously banned.

i don't know the history of his postings (regardless of what username was used) so perhaps it was / is reasonable to ignore him.  that said, however, i don't see how anyone should ignore that particular news article from the Verge.  it details Samsung's stance on the 'bounce-back' patent.

• Reply 72 of 103

Quote:

Originally Posted by amoradala View Post

I am a little concerned this might not go Apple's way. It is obvious to all but the stupid which way it SHOULD go.

But sometimes juries are stupid.

If it goes the wrong way, remember this. . .

Steve's greatest triumphs were OSX and iOS.

I respectfully disagree. It's not about the OS alone. It's the Mac with the OS, and iPhone with iOS. Each system is a triumph, a masterpiece and a revolution.

I'd also put Pixar right up there.

• Reply 73 of 103

A sales ban may be a win for Apple but it will be a loss for all of us.

Competition is what keeps companies on their toes coming up with new awesome stuff. Apple has borrowed ideas from Android, and vice versa. Both companies are supposedly infringing each other's patents. They should just cross-license and stop acting like bickering five year olds. And get back to work making great products.

• Reply 74 of 103

I think her request that they try one last time to come to an agreement is sensible. If they don't, for one thing the jury award is unpredictable, but more importantly, the losing side will appeal.

And the appeals will go all the way to the Supreme Court if they can, and even without that, we are talking about years of litigation, at high cost to tax payers, and doubtful benefit to either party. An out of court settlement is best for the taxpayer, for sure, and that's who Koh ultimately works for.

You can say that Apple and Samsung already tried to negotiate. That's true, but that was before the trial. Now they've measured their respective force and can be more realistic about a deal. Samsung is in the weaker position, though it did land a punch or two, and they should be better able to understand this now.

• Reply 75 of 103
    emacs72emacs72 Posts: 356member

Quote:

Originally Posted by amoradala View Post

I am a little concerned this might not go Apple's way. It is obvious to all but the stupid which way it SHOULD go.

But sometimes juries are stupid.

to be fair it should be noted that all of us rely on second-hand / summary reporting of the court proceedings.  the lawyers, the judge and the jurors are privy to much more information than any of us do and/or will ever have on this case.

• Reply 76 of 103

Quote:

Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post

Competition is what keeps companies on their toes coming up with new awesome stuff. Apple has borrowed ideas from Android, and vice versa. Both companies are supposedly infringing each other's patents. They should just cross-license and stop acting like bickering five year olds. And get back to work making great products.

But if every company like the disgusting samscum rips off each others designs no one will have the incentive to innovate.

We would still be using Windows Crap Edition dumbphones and transfering contacts via acticesync whilst looking for that misplaced plastic stylus, that would be 1000 worse than banning a select few samsuck phones.

The south korean company should pay up and hire more designers because the era of samesungs pathetic copycat culture is over..

• Reply 77 of 103

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'm posting this here, too, because it's equally relevant to this side.

This ticks me off so much. So frigging much.

Does anyone else see the big picture here?

Steve Jobs has been stolen from by two entities.

The first stole out of alleged desperation. A lone figure in a sea of nearly 7 billion. A man who, with more intelligence, could have easily slipped quietly into the night, never to be heard from again. A man who, when caught and notified of the magnitude of his crime, felt alleged remorse and desired to write a personal apology to the people from whom he stole, meaning them no disrespect personally. I know I said elsewhere that if he took the wallet, he'd know who he'd stolen from, but if he hadn't opened the wallet in the dark, he wouldn't have known. This man is certain to be punished for his crime, swiftly and severely, even if his remorse truly is genuine.

The second stole out of greed, laziness, and apathy. A large presence in a small room. A company who, with more intelligence, could have easily avoided this entire debacle, becoming a second bastion of innovation in an industry with only one oasis in the desert. A company who, when caught and notified of the magnitude of its crime, claimed that they were the ones being stolen from, not the other way around. This company has a very real chance of getting away with their crime scot-free, and they don't feel an ounce of remorse, faked or otherwise.

It makes me livid. 

I agree!!!!

• Reply 78 of 103

Quote:

Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post

A sales ban on Samsung's dominant TouchWiz based Android phones, whether you believe them to be based on the iPhone or not, will give other Android OEM's a chance to gain lost ground, especially those who went their own way and were essentially ignored in the marketplace due to Samsung's excessively overhyped marketing.

That is how a setback for Samsung will be a win for us all, including Android supporters.

• Reply 79 of 103
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    hill60 wrote: »
    Perhaps you should take it up with Samsung's legal team, after all they are the one's who f**ked up following the rules of admissible evidence.

Actually, the messed up the entire trial. Sanctioned 4 times. Failure to get evidence admitted due to their own errors. Publicly releasing evidence that the judge had told them not to release. Destruction of evidence. Taking witnesses into the court room in violation of the judge's explicit orders.

I really hope the attorneys are severely sanctioned when this is all over.
    zorinlynx wrote: »

That is nonsense. Competition is not stealing your competitor's IP. Competition is coming up with your own IP and trying to make it better than the competition. If Samsung was truly competing, they would come up with their own designs and try to beat Apple with better IP. By failing to do so, they are holding the industry back. The industry wins when EVERYONE is trying to innovate.

Equally important, what about the other Android manufacturers who have been harmed by Samsung's blatant theft of Apple's IP? They are being punished for innovating (such as Windows 7 Mobile and now Windows 8) by Samsung's misrepresentations and theft. If Samsung gets its way, the entire industry will switch to simply copying Apple's every move. How is that supposed to move the industry forward?
  • Reply 80 of 103

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'm posting this here, too, because it's equally relevant to this side.

This ticks me off so much. So frigging much.

Does anyone else see the big picture here?

Steve Jobs has been stolen from by two entities.

The first stole out of alleged desperation. A lone figure in a sea of nearly 7 billion. A man who, with more intelligence, could have easily slipped quietly into the night, never to be heard from again. A man who, when caught and notified of the magnitude of his crime, felt alleged remorse and desired to write a personal apology to the people from whom he stole, meaning them no disrespect personally. I know I said elsewhere that if he took the wallet, he'd know who he'd stolen from, but if he hadn't opened the wallet in the dark, he wouldn't have known. This man is certain to be punished for his crime, swiftly and severely, even if his remorse truly is genuine.

The second stole out of greed, laziness, and apathy. A large presence in a small room. A company who, with more intelligence, could have easily avoided this entire debacle, becoming a second bastion of innovation in an industry with only one oasis in the desert. A company who, when caught and notified of the magnitude of its crime, claimed that they were the ones being stolen from, not the other way around. This company has a very real chance of getting away with their crime scot-free, and they don't feel an ounce of remorse, faked or otherwise.

It makes me livid. 

Clap...

Clap...

Clap... Clap... Clap...

Clap.... Clap.... Clap.... Clap.... Clap.... Clap....Clap....

Clap.... Clap.... Clap.... Clap.... Clap.... Clap.... Clap.... Clap.... Clap.... Clap.... Clap....

[room bursts into thunderous applause]