Apple 'iPad mini' could resemble, be as thin as iPod touch

24

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 61

    Quote:


    Haha, as long as you don't sue for patent violations, we're good.

  • Reply 22 of 61
    jason98jason98 Posts: 766member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post





    Um, this is what you wrote: "Well, I was hoping for an edge-to-edge display in a bezelless and buttonless design, with the virtual bezel switchable on and off, and the home button replaced with gestures." Edge-to-edge in 2012 and a buttonless design, and using gestures instead of pressing the Home Button are not feasible. On top of that it appears you're talking about the 10" iPad, not a tablet that is small and light enough to be used one-handed without a firm grip to pinch the device between the thumb and palm.


     


    Yes I was talking about 10" iPad but I do not see how it matters differently. Of course, both the mini and the full iPad would benefit from thin physical and soft virtual bezel.

  • Reply 23 of 61
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post



    I still say it resembles an iPod touch because it is an iPod touch


     


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by poke View Post


    I'm sticking with my original prediction: This replaces the iPod touch at $199. The iPod touch has been promoted primarily as a gaming device and an iPad mini makes more sense there. There will be a larger touchscreen iPod nano for people who want an mp3 player. I don't think it makes sense to keep the iPod touch around when you have this iPad mini.



    This.


     


    This is probably an iPod Touch or all new model that replaces the Touch.


     


    Not sure if it will be marketed or branded as an "iPad Mini" and most of the photos floating around show what looks like a 3:2 screen ratio.

  • Reply 24 of 61
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post





    Um, this is what you wrote: "Well, I was hoping for an edge-to-edge display in a bezelless and buttonless design, with the virtual bezel switchable on and off, and the home button replaced with gestures." Edge-to-edge in 2012 and a buttonless design, and using gestures instead of pressing the Home Button are not feasible. On top of that it appears you're talking about the 10" iPad, not a tablet that is small and light enough to be used one-handed without a firm grip to pinch the device between the thumb and palm.


    So what are we talking about for the actual outside dimensions of this thing? Hands come in lots of different sizes so it will be too big for some and too small for others. I really don't think even with my larger than average hands that I would be using it single handed. Heck, I don't even use my iPhone with just one hand very often, except to redial a recent call or a favorite.

  • Reply 25 of 61
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by poke View Post


    I'm sticking with my original prediction: This replaces the iPod touch at $199. The iPod touch has been promoted primarily as a gaming device and an iPad mini makes more sense there. There will be a larger touchscreen iPod nano for people who want an mp3 player. I don't think it makes sense to keep the iPod touch around when you have this iPad mini.



    I see a lot of teens with a Touch that they keep in their pocket while listening to music. They probably have some other cheap phone. This new iPad mini size is not going to be pocketable in the same sense. Should it really be considered a replacement for a Touch? I'm hoping that the new device will have a cellular data (no voice) option.

  • Reply 26 of 61
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by BuddyRevell View Post


    Where would you put your thumb if you're holding it with one hand in portrait mode?



     


    There's a full centimetre bezel even on the side of the thing.  


    People with fumbly hands, gigantic fat fingers and no manual dexterity will continue to buy the regular iPad.  

  • Reply 27 of 61
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mstone View Post


    So what are we talking about for the actual outside dimensions of this thing? Hands come in lots of different sizes so it will be too big for some and too small for others. I really don't think even with my larger than average hands that I would be using it single handed. Heck, I don't even use my iPhone with just one hand very often, except to redial a recent call or a favorite.



     


    People are different indeed.  I never use two hands on the phone except to thumb type, and I use my iPad 3 one-handed all the time (although that sucker is indeed quite heavy).   

  • Reply 28 of 61
    pokepoke Posts: 506member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mstone View Post


    I see a lot of teens with a Touch that they keep in their pocket while listening to music. They probably have some other cheap phone. This new iPad mini size is not going to be pocketable in the same sense. Should it really be considered a replacement for a Touch? I'm hoping that the new device will have a cellular data (no voice) option.



     


    When I say it replaces the iPod touch I just mean it'll be $199 and there will no longer be an "iPhone without the phone" device. Instead there'll be a smaller iPad for gaming/e-reader/etc (probably with a cellular data option) and a larger iPod nano as a dedicated media player (no App Store). Obviously this isn't going to cover every usage scenario, but neither does the existing range of products. Right now I think the iPod touch isn't really a compelling device. I think it's struggling to define itself. Is an "iPhone without the phone" device that you can carry along with a cheap prepaid phone really something Apple wants? Or would they rather have that price point filled by a lighter, smaller version of their most dynamic product?

  • Reply 29 of 61
    ewanewan Posts: 36member


    So is it an iPad Mini or an iPod Max? This is confusing!

  • Reply 30 of 61
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I don't know but I have a feeling Apple knows.

    Really? You don't say! (Couldn't resist).
  • Reply 31 of 61

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post


    Even if he turns out to be wrong, the analysis by Gruber is a masterpiece and shows why he is the king of Apple bloggers.

     



    Agreed. 

  • Reply 32 of 61
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by poke View Post


     


    When I say it replaces the iPod touch I just mean it'll be $199 and there will no longer be an "iPhone without the phone" device. Instead there'll be a smaller iPad for gaming/e-reader/etc (probably with a cellular data option) and a larger iPod nano as a dedicated media player (no App Store). Obviously this isn't going to cover every usage scenario, but neither does the existing range of products. Right now I think the iPod touch isn't really a compelling device. I think it's struggling to define itself. Is an "iPhone without the phone" device that you can carry along with a cheap prepaid phone really something Apple wants? Or would they rather have that price point filled by a lighter, smaller version of their most dynamic product?



    Even so I wouldn't be surprised if Apple keeps the current Touch around another year but priced lower, just to keep iPod marketshare high.

  • Reply 33 of 61
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by poke View Post


     


    When I say it replaces the iPod touch I just mean it'll be $199 and there will no longer be an "iPhone without the phone" device. Instead there'll be a smaller iPad for gaming/e-reader/etc (probably with a cellular data option) and a larger iPod nano as a dedicated media player (no App Store). Obviously this isn't going to cover every usage scenario, but neither does the existing range of products. Right now I think the iPod touch isn't really a compelling device. I think it's struggling to define itself. Is an "iPhone without the phone" device that you can carry along with a cheap prepaid phone really something Apple wants? Or would they rather have that price point filled by a lighter, smaller version of their most dynamic product?



     


    I am not sure what is going to happen but I doubt this scenario.  


     


    iPods are for music and gaming and the iPod touch, while not as popular as the flagship iOS devices has a dedicated following.  The iPad mini is a different form factor altogether and runs a different version of the OS.  The focus for iPads is on productive work, not gaming and music.  I don't see that the presence of the mini iPad means that the iPod touch will necessarily go away at all.  If they wanted to make a device to replace the current iPod touch, why wouldn't they stick with 16:9 like the new iPhone and the smaller, more pocketable size?  


     


    It's not like Apple to take a product off the market and replace it with another product that can't actually fully replace it.  Additionally, the flex cable shown above is more likely to be from a future iPod touch than a future iPad mini IMO.  It has the audio jack on the bottom, and far closer to the dock connector than it would need to be if it was for the iPad mini.  To me that signals that it's for a smaller device.  All the other schematics and all the other leaks for the iPad mini have the audio jack on the top, and most have speaker grilles right where this headphone jack would be also.  

  • Reply 34 of 61
    nkalu wrote: »
    If the "iPad mini" resembles, or is as thin as the iPod touch, it will look better than whatever is out there that the competitors and copycats have.
    And, if Apple sells such product between $200 and $250, count me in, I will purchase one.

    Hmmm...

    Expect a "natural evolution" clone from Samsung to come out shortly after.
  • Reply 35 of 61

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Ewan View Post


    So is it an iPad Mini or an iPod Max? This is confusing!





    It will be the iPad Air.

  • Reply 36 of 61


    It would be so Apple if true and totally blow Samsung and everybody else out of the water....I went to OfficeMax and held a ~7" Nook...what a piece of "plasticky" crap! 


     


     


    I often thought I would love the iPhone to be as thin as the iPod Touch (yes, I understand the complexities of chips and battery). I even considered getting an iPod Touch and a dumb phone, just so I didn't have to give more $'s than necessary to ATT. Ugh.


     


    But, then I would have to carry two items. So just stuck with the iPhone and dumped said ATT, for Sprint! :)


     


    Best.


     


    P.S. I love Apple and absolutely detest ATT, Verizon, Cox Cable, MS, Google, RIM, HP (ink), Dell, Samsung, Sony, etc. They are all just trying to rip us off. Apple, on the other hand, provides great value! :) 


     


    P.S.S. I wish Apple would just buy a SatTV company and Sprint and take it to the cable companies, Movie and TV companies and especially the Cell companies!!!!!!!

  • Reply 37 of 61
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Sorry but this doesn't look as thin as an iPod Touch.

    12.08.15-Shell-2.jpg
  • Reply 38 of 61

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by nkalu View Post


    If the "iPad mini" resembles, or is as thin as the iPod touch, it will look better than whatever is out there that the competitors and copycats have.


    And, if Apple sells such product between $200 and $250, count me in, I will purchase one.



    Bingo! Well said! And me, too! :)

  • Reply 39 of 61
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post



    i'll believe it when i see it






     





     






     






     


    No. You won't.

  • Reply 40 of 61
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post



    Sorry but this doesn't look as thin as an iPod Touch.

    12.08.15-Shell-2.jpg


    I don't know why these particular pictures are getting the massive play that they are, they seem obviously fake to me.  This thing is thicker than the thickest iPad and poorly shaped overall.  Why would Apple come out with a new product that's so clunky and so much bigger and thicker than anything they've made previously?  


     


    The Apple doesn't even look centred, it doesn't look like it's even hollow, and the pics that show the speaker grille make it look like it was made out of plasticine.  

Sign In or Register to comment.