Samsung designer says Galaxy Tab 10.1 design work preceded iPad announcement

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Who knew about who's product designs FIRST.  Apple was designing the iPhone something like 2 1/2 years before they announced it.  Apple doesn't make the screens, Samsung does.  So Apple has to talk to Samsung, others about the size and type of screens to use for their upcoming product, so it is POSSIBLE that Samsung mobile division got wind of Apple's designs before Apple got wind of Samsung's designs since Samsung didn't have to show Apple their pending products because Samsung doesn't buy components from Apple.   If Apple announced the iPhone first, then they were ALREADY working on a similar products for the iPad and iPod Touch which are basically phone-less versions with the same or larger screens, etc.   Apple typically does their own version of any product.  If they do any copying, it's done with a LOT of significant changes as to not confuse their product with anything that slightly resembles it because they might take something that is generic shape, but they make the products unmistakably theirs.

That's MY take on it.

• Reply 22 of 54
    Samsung seem to lack the understanding that 'biting the hand that feeds' will hurt you more in the long run.
    Not just biting Apple though.

Did anyone catch that POS Galaxy Note tablet they released yesterday ?

http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/15/3243546/samsung-galaxy-note-10-1-review

How could they expect to sell THAT to the public and expect good customer experience and recommendation, when it
    Just doesn't work.
  • Reply 23 of 54

And there were plenty of other folks "designing" iPads in October 2009. Like Wired's Gadget Lab, or DotGizmo. They had some pretty good renderings by then, too. If Samsung was only just starting in October, they were way behind the curve!

• Reply 24 of 54
    October '09 "Samung begins work on…" January '10 "Apple Announces…" (and ships about 3 months later)

The period between Samsung "starting work on a tablet" and Apple "announcing a finished product" is almost exactly 3 months.

According to Apple, the iPad was a product YEARS in the making. Samsung STARTED developing a tablet 6 months prior to Apple shipping one. Meaning, Samsung (having already "slavishly copied" the iPhone by this time), and having an "inside track" on parts and production specifications, started designing a tablet based on Apple's upcoming iPad…

That much is apparent to me. The trick is in proving it.

I think Samsung helped that proof quite a bit by claiming they started developing their tablet right about the same time Apple's specs would HAVE to be hitting the parts manufacturing market in order to ramp for a release in 6 months...

To be fair... this article is talking about the Galaxy Tab 10.1 which was announced in February 2011.

So from October 2009 to February 2011 seems like more believable timeframe for this particular model.

But let's be honest... EVERYBODY was working on a tablet back then. Did we all forget that CES 2010 was basically the "tablet show" ?

January 6, 2010

There were quite a few tablets at CES 2010... weeks before the famous iPad announcement. Here's a fun trip back in time: The Dawn of the Tablet PC: CES 2010 Roundup

The point is... lots of companies had tablets to show off at CES 2010... which means they were working on them sometime in 2009.

So how do we know Samsung wasn't doing that too?

I'll admit the timing sucks... as all of Samsungs tablets were announced long after Apple announced theirs. So of course any tablet that came after the iPad is automatically compared to the iPad.
  • Reply 25 of 54

Before the iPad, almost everybody known how he should look like (because of the iPhone design) but everybody tough that he would run MacOSX and the big surprise was the iOS.. everybody laugh hard, thinking that was just a "bigger iPhone" and boom. Here's the Android and Windows 8 with a special UI.

And it wasnt so hard to guess how the iPad would look like, specially because of the Macbook Pro screen too. So yes, Microsoft have tried that based on what they tough too and even call him "HP Slate" because they tough that the iPad would be called "iSlate".

• Reply 26 of 54
    Remember, google also "worked on Android" before the iPhone came out. Doesn't mean what they started with was what the final product looked like.
  • Reply 27 of 54
    So how did this email survive the 2-week lifespan? If the designer kept a copy then isn't he in direct opposition to the Company policy? Shouldn't they fire him or something? 

I'd like to see this end with a Jury verdict, even though there will be a round 2. How many time will the CEOs try to settle?

The "email" will not survive the two week policy; it will be deleted by the time the trial is over, two weeks after it was miraculously discovered. :lol:
  • Reply 28 of 54

I really wish that this whole song and dance can come to a conclusion. It;s getting tiring seeing nothing but 'apple vs samsung' news items cluttering what I really want to see is new product announcement/cool things I want to read about.

• Reply 29 of 54
    kerrybkerryb Posts: 270member

I heard that jury almost always take a trial case very seriously not just the big murder trials we see on tv. I cannot imagine being on this particular trial and being able to follow not just all the evidence but how it applies to the law. A huge task indeed

• Reply 30 of 54
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    To be fair... this article is talking about the Galaxy Tab 10.1 which was announced in February 2011.
    So from October 2009 to February 2011 seems like more believable timeframe for this particular model.
    But let's be honest... EVERYBODY was working on a tablet back then. Did we all forget that CES 2010 was basically the "tablet show" ?
    January 6, 2010
    There were quite a few tablets at CES 2010... weeks before the famous iPad announcement. Here's a fun trip back in time: The Dawn of the Tablet PC: CES 2010 Roundup
    The point is... lots of companies had tablets to show off at CES 2010... which means they were working on them sometime in 2009.
    So how do we know Samsung wasn't doing that too?
    I'll admit the timing sucks... as all of Samsungs tablets were announced long after Apple announced theirs. So of course any tablet that came after the iPad is automatically compared to the iPad.

And why were all those companies announcing tablets in Jan 2010? Perhaps because EVERYBODY knew Apple was coming out with a tablet, and it's an easy strategy to announce vapor ware and try to beat them to the punch?

It was also pretty easy to conclude what the iPad would look like, given that it looks like a larger iPhone.
  • Reply 31 of 54

Here's the story on AppleInsider where Samsung's CEO states they didn't go a good enough job copying iPad and that they needed to get back to work copying it better.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/03/04/apples_ipad_2_prompts_samsung_to_improve_inadequate_parts_of_galaxy_tab_10_1.html

• Reply 32 of 54
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Samsung just did the gentlemanly thing and postponed all their grand, ground-breaking plans in order to allow Apple to change the tech world *again* in january 2010. But Samsung was *just about to* release their own game-changer. Honest!

What an absolutely amazing coincidence!

/s

The more I read the bullshit that comes out of Samsung in this trial, the more I wonder whether Samsung is capable of *any* of their own innovations at all (ones that actually matter to consumers), apart from being someone's component supplier bitch. 

It seems they're forever in this "We had that EXACT idea, we just didn't release it" mode. LMAO

• Reply 33 of 54

Exactly. Just like Google they changed direction once they saw the iPhone and later the iPad.

• Reply 34 of 54

So now Apple owns the right to make all things thin, curved and flat.  What a joke!!!!  Based on the biased comments here no other company can ever make a device with those elements.

• Reply 35 of 54
    There may be a retention policy imposed by the company to its employees but because of this kind of litigation / eDiscovery, IT is required to archive every single email that passes through the mail servers. In fact, every action an employee does on a company machine can be retrieved. A regular IT team would not be able do that but an experienced team can easily get anything. Even transactions done online. Even deleted files. Once you enter credit card information on the machine, computer forensic analysts can easily find that information even it was entered 5 years ago ... There is still a good chance of retrieving this even the system has been reformatted. FYI

I am pretty sure the guys at Black Bag Technologies are the ones doing it for Apple ... Just wondering who is doing this for Samsung ....
  • Reply 36 of 54
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

I think Samsung helped that proof quite a bit by claiming they started developing their tablet right about the same time Apple's specs would HAVE to be hitting the parts manufacturing market in order to ramp for a release in 6 months...
    And if Apple presented that kind of timeline info to the jury they may draw the same conclusion
  • Reply 37 of 54

Originally Posted by RaptorOO7 View Post

So now Apple owns the right to make all things thin, curved and flat.  What a joke!!!!  Based on the biased comments here no other company can ever make a device with those elements.

Yes, that's indeed what the trolls are pretending to say. It's not really indicative of our feelings as a whole, I don't imagine.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as a whole here we'd like the industry to follow more than one lantern in the dark for once in its miserable existence. Luckily Microsoft, formerly the greatest lantern thief of all time, has struck their own match and is frantically looking around for a source of kindling before it goes out. We really ought to toss them some firewood. 

• Reply 38 of 54
    jragosta wrote: »
    They can play the "there were many more things we wanted to show you, but the judge wouldn't let us" card in closing arguments. Of course, if the stuff they didn't get to is no better than what they've already provided, the argument is meaningless, but that won't stop them from trying.

They were instructed going in how much time they had. The judge won't let them continue and will order them before arguments not to play that card or it will be contempt of court. As she said, she's done with their games.
  • Reply 39 of 54

And how many looked like slapped together mockups one just to beat Apple to the announcement. How many were 'sometime this year' release dates some of which were cancelled before release? Etc.

Proves nothing either way
  • Reply 40 of 54
    groovetube wrote: »
    I really wish that this whole song and dance can come to a conclusion. It;s getting tiring seeing nothing but 'apple vs samsung' news items cluttering what I really want to see is new product announcement/cool things I want to read about.

And yet, with no gun to your head, you came, presumably read and commented. When you could have just scrolled past that link