Apple scrambled to buy AuthenTec to get its fingerprint scanner into new devices

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

Why? Because for general consumers, they value convenience over security. That might be dumb, but that's the reality.

No, they just prefer their security to be invisible, which it certainly can be, at least once this tech becomes something reliable.

• Reply 22 of 42
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seankill View Post

Damn Samsung will copy Apple and claim all of the patents are invalid

I'm sorry to have to be the one to tell you, but Samsung has already copied your fingerprint...

(ok, this is getting old)

• Reply 23 of 42
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    mausz wrote: »
    I remember having such a fingerprint reader (the 10.000 BC edition ;) on an HP Pocket PC 5500. Even then it wasn't a large unit.

There are two ways of doing it.

1. Have a scanner that's large enough to recognize enough of your finger for the ID to be unique. In that case, your finger doesn't move.

2. Have a scanner that only recognizes a 'slice' of your fingerprint, but you then draw your finger across the surface. In that case, a small device can recognize a fairly large area.

I had an old HP laptop which used #2. OTOH, our fingerprint scanner at work uses #1.
  • Reply 24 of 42
    elmsleyelmsley Posts: 120member

Why don't they use the camera and photo-recognize you?  I'm sure most of us have the same ipad eye-shot smug lifeless look anyways, there's no variation in that.  Apple has always done something innovatively creative, it's time to bring back the wow factor.

Heck I could be right, and the article is just rumors.

• Reply 25 of 42

Quote:

It's a bad idea to put fingerprint scanner to iPhone. Motorola tried it with the Atrix 4g, never took off, people just don't use that function. All those fingerprint scanners on laptops also never being used by most people who bought them, just sitting there doing nothing.

Why? Because for general consumers, they value convenience over security. That might be dumb, but that's the reality.

That argument doesn't stand... They tried tablets before Apple came along, and no OEM's could gain traction in the marketplace with their versions. The difference when the iPad came along was a quality interface that people already understood (no awkward OS to learn... it didn't need a manual), large numbers of adopters making the hardware easily adapted to many user environments, and the support that Apple provides through updates and service to their devices. People that had never owned a Mac before were all of a sudden toting their i-Whatever, and proudly.

Apple makes things sheik that weren't previously. This happens consistently now because their execution has been so consistently good that they've gained the trust of consumers. 

Fingerprint scanning will be the next wave of security parameters on devices that builds trust with consumers as they feel that they are more protected. The more data that goes onto devices, the hungrier consumers will be for better security. My kid can memorize my iPhone password, but can't open it if I have a scanner activated. ATM machines will likely follow, and who knows what else. Cars? Homes? Personal IT security is about to change, and Apple just ensured that it is on the cutting-edge of this.

The Atrix doesn't matter. 

• Reply 26 of 42

NFC without a fingerprint scanner: Either have the annoyance of having to enter your passcode before every purchase - moderate security as most people are lazy about passwords. No passcode - just like current credit cards but easier to steal (who last looked at your cc signature?). Or a fingerprint scanner. Inconvenience is quite low. Everyone would want to use it for all the features gained over passcodes. 95% of folk would use it (standard lock like currently in place - 5 minutes for me. Always when approving a purchase.)

• Reply 27 of 42

Quote:

Originally Posted by zkdman View Post

That argument doesn't stand... They tried tablets before Apple came along, and no OEM's could gain traction in the marketplace with their versions. The difference when the iPad came along was a quality interface that people already understood (no awkward OS to learn... it didn't need a manual), large numbers of adopters making the hardware easily adapted to many user environments, and the support that Apple provides through updates and service to their devices. People that had never owned a Mac before were all of a sudden toting their i-Whatever, and proudly.

Apple makes things sheik that weren't previously. This happens consistently now because their execution has been so consistently good that they've gained the trust of consumers. 

Fingerprint scanning will be the next wave of security parameters on devices that builds trust with consumers as they feel that they are more protected. The more data that goes onto devices, the hungrier consumers will be for better security. My kid can memorize my iPhone password, but can't open it if I have a scanner activated. ATM machines will likely follow, and who knows what else. Cars? Homes? Personal IT security is about to change, and Apple just ensured that it is on the cutting-edge of this.

The Atrix doesn't matter. 

Not so sure.  Security is a hassle, and people want to see as little as possible.  Apple's success is partly due to getting rid of the need for extra software/hardware on your OS/system to manage the madness.  Antivirus scans, backup systems, disk management.. all things mac users love to not know about or see when they're doing real work.  I still don't like needing to type my password before making a phone call.  I mean, seriously, you don't have to on a non-smart cell phone.  Why are we suddenly worried that people will be using our phones to call?

• Reply 28 of 42
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    elmsley wrote: »
    Why don't they use the camera and photo-recognize you?  I'm sure most of us have the same ipad eye-shot smug lifeless look anyways, there's no variation in that.  Apple has always done something innovatively creative, it's time to bring back the wow factor.

Heck I could be right, and the article is just rumors.

The difficulty is that it's fairly easy to spoof a camera by using a picture of the person. It is harder to fool a fingerprint scanner.

That's not to say that they couldn't find a way around it (for example, requiring you to first turn your head one way and then the other), but it's not trivial.
  • Reply 29 of 42
    zeromeuszeromeus Posts: 182member

Quote:

It's a bad idea to put fingerprint scanner to iPhone. Motorola tried it with the Atrix 4g, never took off, people just don't use that function. All those fingerprint scanners on laptops also never being used by most people who bought them, just sitting there doing nothing.

Uh..... NO!  I prefer to swipe my finger than to type in a password.  Yes, I put a password on ALL my laptops.  It's much MORE convenient to swipe a finger than to take time typing in a password, especially in the dark and the keyboard is not lit.

• Reply 30 of 42

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

The difficulty is that it's fairly easy to spoof a camera by using a picture of the person. It is harder to fool a fingerprint scanner.

That's not to say that they couldn't find a way around it (for example, requiring you to first turn your head one way and then the other), but it's not trivial.

Yes, I get that obvious flaw, but that's if you or I implement the solution.  Apple is smarter than me.  Lets see what they come up with.  Maybe SIRI can ask ME questions, and I have to answer it while it captures the movement of my lips and analyzes my voice.

• Reply 31 of 42

Quote:

Consider, that it can be used to provide convenience and security, automatically and transparently.  For example: as soon as you tap the home button on your iDevice, it knows who you are -- so you can bypass logging on (account# and password entry) to buy something, view private information, or just reconfigure the device to reflect your preferences/history, say, for a TV remote control.

This is hot!

• Reply 32 of 42

Quote:

...Apple makes things sheik that weren't previously...

Sheik Yerbouti?

• Reply 33 of 42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyberzombie View Post

NFC without a fingerprint scanner: Either have the annoyance of having to enter your passcode before every purchase - moderate security as most people are lazy about passwords. No passcode - just like current credit cards but easier to steal (who last looked at your cc signature?). Or a fingerprint scanner. Inconvenience is quite low. Everyone would want to use it for all the features gained over passcodes. 95% of folk would use it (standard lock like currently in place - 5 minutes for me. Always when approving a purchase.)

Excellent points!

• Reply 34 of 42

Quote:

Originally Posted by PotatoLeekSoup View Post

Quote:

...Apple makes things sheik that weren't previously...

Sheik Yerbouti?

Wasn't he married to that chic Jennifer Lopez chic?   ...or is that chica?

• Reply 35 of 42
    ignatzignatz Posts: 10member

Quote:

Maybe, but you need to consider that apple products are becoming the "gold standard" in companies, including large-scale enterprise companies.  With this technology, the IT guys are going to have even more trouble justifying using anything except an Apple device, because the security of Apple is second to none.

If somebody loses their Android phone, the company secrets are there for the whole world to see.  If somebody loses an iPhone, the thing will be a brick without the proper fingerprint.

I don't think that any government in the world will allow anything other than Apple devices once this tech gets fully implemented.

Buying this company and keeping fingerprint scanning exclusive to apple is a brilliant move.

• Reply 36 of 42
    sleepy3sleepy3 Posts: 244member

Hmmm

So its another feature grabbed from an android phone to add to the pile. I'll put it right next to 4G, NFC, 4" Screens, quad core processors, and i'm just talking hardware.  

"Last fall, Fujitsuincorporated AuthenTec's fingerprint scanner on its Regza Android-based smartphone for DoCoMo in Japan, enabling users to unlock the screen without using either a passcode"

I thought the pattern was Apple first, then Android copies.....image

Seems to me Apple waits to see what tech Android manufacturers put in their phones and then follow suit two years later. 

What's next, burst shot mode for the camera? 3d screens? look for it in iphone 7 or 8. When its introduced as new and revolutionaryimage

• Reply 37 of 42

Quote:

Originally Posted by ignatz View Post

Quote:

Maybe, but you need to consider that apple products are becoming the "gold standard" in companies, including large-scale enterprise companies.  With this technology, the IT guys are going to have even more trouble justifying using anything except an Apple device, because the security of Apple is second to none.

If somebody loses their Android phone, the company secrets are there for the whole world to see.  If somebody loses an iPhone, the thing will be a brick without the proper fingerprint.

I don't think that any government in the world will allow anything other than Apple devices once this tech gets fully implemented.

Buying this company and keeping fingerprint scanning exclusive to apple is a brilliant move.

Oh, definitely yes! 

Then consider the consumer side... when dad is controlling the TV with an iDevice or remote -- he gets sports and news and adult options.   Sis picks up the same device and she gets her favs and is limited to PG13.

And, as you mentioned, if your iDevice is lost or stolen -- it cannot be used to turn off "Find My Phone".   That feature, alone, could make the best tablets, phones, music players, computers, etc... the worst ones to steal -- because they are only useful to the owners!  

We have been considering getting iPhones for my 2 teenage boy grandkids.  Data costs are an issue... so is the "desirability of the iPhone for thieves"...

• Reply 38 of 42

Deleted

• Reply 39 of 42

I'll speculate on something more advanced. AuthenTec was pitching a new technology. Fingerprint scanners have been around for a while. They pitched it to some of the following companies Alcatel-Lucent, Cisco, Fujitsu, HBO, HP, Lenovo, LG, Motorola, Nokia, Orange, Samsung, Sky, and Texas Instruments who all turned it down. According to the article because of the cost of developing it. If it's that pricey I expect it to be quite new engineering.

So here's my guess: it's a fingerprint scanner that goes in/under a screen. So as you swipe to unlock it scans your fingerprint. Not only does that away with having to enter the PIN code, but it would make for a seamless shopping experience. Google Wallet forces you to enter another PIN after unlocking to be secure. This could replace both. Plus, they could enable swipe to buy in iTunes so that customers don't have to constantly bother with entering their password.

• Reply 40 of 42

Oh Sleepy3! You always make me chuckle! You never fail. The life of the party. The truth machine. The 'what it is' guy!

Again, to paraphrase David Gilmour - what would AI be without trolls!