New Apple retail VP John Browett planned to cut jobs to raise profits

Comments

• Reply 21 of 223
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member

I could just imagine Ron Johnson reading this. Reading how John Browett wants to turn his retail masterpiece into a standard, basic, unhelpful computer store like PC World.

• Reply 21 of 223

he's an unfortunate hire.

• Reply 23 of 223
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member

This is why I don't vote for the republican party, in most cases.

• Reply 24 of 223

Wow what a disaster.  I truly hope that either: this article is wrong or Tim fires this guy.  This is exactly the kind of terrible short term thinking that Apple does NOT engage in. Fix this quickly, Tim, this is the kind of bad management that can kill all of the great good will and brand value that Apple has.

• Reply 25 of 223

Quote:

The report also noted that Browett said Apple's retail outlets need to "learn to 'run leaner' in all areas, even if the customer experience is compromised."

That's the part that hurts Apple the most. I'm actually ok with running a company leaner if there are areas that just gotten too fat, but Apple should never compromise customer experience! If Steve were still here, he'd have gotten rid of this guy in a NY second.

• Reply 26 of 223

Anyone who has ever worked in Apple retail knows that their staffing has always been lean.  Ive never worked in a place where they are able to get so much productivity out of a small group of very talented people.  If anything they need more.

• Reply 27 of 223
    igxqrrligxqrrl Posts: 105member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

**** this myopic motherfucker!

Whew, I'm glad you bleeped that first expletive!!!!

:)

• Reply 28 of 223
    mj1970mj1970 Posts: 9,002member

Quote:

Originally Posted by igxqrrl View Post

Whew, I'm glad you bleeped that first expletive!!!!

:)

Forum does it automatically.

• Reply 29 of 223
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

born and raised in UK, been there until he just joined Apple

When you get the good from us (Ive), you also get the bad (Browett).

• Reply 30 of 223
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

If a bunch of forum readers can call it like that, how the hell did this guy get hired?

Probably the typical way corporate kiss-asses get hired and move up the ladder.

• Reply 31 of 223
    The Apple stores are profitable, but more importantly, these stores are an "experience" that helps to convince people to switch to a Mac. You can, arguably, always find well informed sales weasels to answer your questions. No high pressure sales, helpful employees etc.
    That's why I will still visit an Apple store but avoid worst buy like the plague that it is.

Yeah, way to go on treating your staff like disposable tools. You know, the staff that helped make your retail stores one of the most profitable per sq ft in the world.

Ass hat.

*End Rant*
  • Reply 32 of 223

There goes quality customer service.  Just wait until they get the PA system like walmart, that some fat hippo working the register bellows into every 10 minutes.

• Reply 33 of 223
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Probably the typical way corporate kiss-asses get hired and move up the ladder.

• Reply 34 of 223
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

**** this myopic motherfucker! You lay off just one employee and you create fear that all could be laided off. Your best, most knowledgable employees might look for work elsewhere and all employees will have less of an interest putting their heart and soul into their job if they know the company they work could jettison them on accounting whim.

Apple is the most successful retail chain by square feet and one of those reasons is because you can you get service. This will do more longterm harm than any good than increasing profits by a fraction of a fraction of a percent for a quarter or two. **** him!

Boy, do I ever agree with your outrage here. I remember the "bean counter eras" at Apple with Gil Amelio and John Sculley. The company dove into the dirt!

Tim Cook, wake up and correct this mistake NOW!

• Reply 35 of 223
    notscottnotscott Posts: 247member

Good things he's not in charge of product development. Douche.

• Reply 36 of 223
    ignatzignatz Posts: 10member

Quote:

**** this myopic motherfucker! You lay off just one employee and you create fear that all could be laided off. Your best, most knowledgable employees might look for work elsewhere and all employees will have less of an interest putting their heart and soul into their job if they know the company they work could jettison them on accounting whim.

Apple is the most successful retail chain by square feet and one of those reasons is because you can you get service. This will do more longterm harm than any good than increasing profits by a fraction of a fraction of a percent for a quarter or two. **** him!

Couldn't agree more!  This motherfucker has to put the CUSTOMER first.  He doesn't know how to grow profits in the long run.  You do that by putting the customer FIRST.

If it was up to him, they would make Apple Stores just like the cheap-ass cut-rate crap stores he used to manage, wher you can't find anybody to help you and if you could, they wouldn't know anything about the products.  That is short term thinking, and not like Apple at all.  Apple puts the customer experience ahead of everything, and that is why they are so profitable.

\

If you have happy customers, they come back again and agaoin and they don't care how much things cost because they enjoy coming in so much that they are willing to spend whatever it takes to enjoy it so much.  Its  like the difference between a fine restaurant and McDonalds.  If he wants to make Apple like McDonalds, he's barking up the wrong tree.

He should move to  the Microsoft store because they don't care at all about the customer, and only about their god-given profit margins.  Well what good are high margins if you don't have any customers?  Answer  me that, you cheap-ass motherfucker!

• Reply 37 of 223

Another filthy scumbag, as all current Frooty shit topshits. 

• Reply 38 of 223
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member

“sources" with "close ties to the retail stores” may or may not have the real story and may or may not tell it fairly. But if the report IS accurate... then it's time to cut ONE job to raise profits! A very high-level job.

• Reply 39 of 223
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

According to the original AI article: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/149612/new-apple-retail-chief-john-browett-receives-61m-in-stock-rights his first 5,000 shares of stock become unrestricted on Oct 20, so I hope he gets shown the door in the next 60 days so he doesn't earn that $3.2 million for his couple of months of work.

• Reply 40 of 223

I'll never buy SHITple.