New Apple retail VP John Browett planned to cut jobs to raise profits

Comments

• Reply 40 of 223

To make the retail stores more profitable? If true, this is an obvious unApple-like move by Mr. Browett.  Hopefully he at least got his hand slapped. Which, I guess having one of your executive decisions overturned is kind of like getting one's hand slapped in the corporate world. He's is new, so I'll consider this strike one.  Hopefully he just needs a little more time to absorb the Apple way of doing things into his thought process.

This IS disturbing.  Just don't want to panic too soon.

On the positive side, I'm sure this cost cutting decision scared Steve Ballmer.  "Wow, this Browett guy is a super GENIUS! We need to watch out for him."

• Reply 42 of 223
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

How did this idiot end up at Apple? Never thought he was a good fit. He is the new Papermaster.

Papermaster didn't actually seem like a bad guy. It's entirely possible that he just didn't fit in well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

**** this myopic motherfucker! You lay off just one employee and you create fear that all could be laided off. Your best, most knowledgable employees might look for work elsewhere and all employees will have less of an interest putting their heart and soul into their job if they know the company they work could jettison them on accounting whim.

Apple is the most successful retail chain by square feet and one of those reasons is because you can you get service. This will do more longterm harm than any good than increasing profits by a fraction of a fraction of a percent for a quarter or two. **** him!

I'm actually in agreement with you guys on this one. Look at how much this guy was paid up front (and overall in his initial contract term), and one of his first bright ideas was the very typical cut labor costs at the bottom mentality. It's quite destructive to the work culture as you've noted, and if that's his best idea, it hardly justified his salary, which would have paid for a number of those jobs. It's a very unimaginative way to try to improve the numbers, and it carries a number of potential backlashes. I see it as just an artificial way of trying to push growth. Given the company's health, if he felt they were overstaffed, much of this could have been solved by simply not opening new positions as people leave or looking for potential candidates for promotion if supervisory roles opened up. Even if the overall goal is to make cuts, there are ways of doing this without such a PR backlash, and the more gradual nature allows for better fine tuning to figure out what the store really needs for optimal service. Personally I'd like to see their employees better trained on some of the technical points. Whenever I've gone in there, any tough question is pointed to the genius bar or the resident geek.

• Reply 43 of 223
    Sounds like this guy should be hired away by Microsoft to improve their store experience.
  • Reply 44 of 223
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member

If he really said "even if customer experience is comprised"...  Than I really think it is time for him to go  

I was very skeptical of this hire. I don't understand how someone with this retail DNA simply is able to change so dramatically in how they go to market

• Reply 45 of 223
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member

Wow, been a while since I've seen 100% agreement on a thread here.

And no one is surprised. We all saw this coming from day one. When it comes to retail "parts is parts" just doesn't cut it in the world Apple created. Amazed they let this guy in the door. Ron, come back. J.C. Penny has already fired you because they don't appreciate your vision. Tim, please beg him to come back. Or promote from within.

• Reply 46 of 223
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I never trust a guy with an extra top button unbuttoned on his shirt. It that supposed to cool?

• Reply 47 of 223
    tomhayestomhayes Posts: 128member

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkyfriar View Post

Anyone who has ever worked in Apple retail knows that their staffing has always been lean.  Ive never worked in a place where they are able to get so much productivity out of a small group of very talented people.  If anything they need more.

I completely agree with this .

• Reply 48 of 223

Apple's stated goal is to make the best products. So far, a side effect of that has been mountains of money.

The same should be true for customer service. Make it THE BEST, and the money will follow.

Apple exists, first and foremost, to nurture relationships. The rest happens by itself.

• Reply 49 of 223
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

**** this myopic motherfucker! You lay off just one employee and you create fear that all could be laided off. Your best, most knowledgable employees might look for work elsewhere and all employees will have less of an interest putting their heart and soul into their job if they know the company they work could jettison them on accounting whim.

Apple is the most successful retail chain by square feet and one of those reasons is because you can you get service. This will do more longterm harm than any good than increasing profits by a fraction of a fraction of a percent for a quarter or two. **** him!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Wow, I don't think I've EVER seen you get this upset. Man, I guess this really has struck a nerve.

**Slowly back away**

I agree... Solips is sounding mighty borderline-postal, and I can't blame him.

This guy sounds like the typical executive that wants to make his mark in the company by increasing profit by cost-cutting in the wrong places.  Stupid 'effin moron has that typical mentality that ruins companies when left unchecked.

With all the money that Apple is raking in, so much in fact that they have to give some back to the shareholders, what the hell is this guy thinking that we need to sacrifice the customer service experience to save .00000000000001%?  I really want to believe that the entire story is not being said here.  If he did in-fact say this, I would demand that Tim Cook jettison this clown sooner than later.  Last thing Apple needs to for corporate to be run by suits.

• Reply 50 of 223

I'd bet a month's salary he's a Romney supporter.  Probably even contributed to his campaign.

• Reply 51 of 223
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Quote:

The report also noted that Browett said Apple's retail outlets need to "learn to 'run leaner' in all areas, even if the customer experience is compromised."

Are you fucking kidding me.. "even if the customer experience is compromised."?!!!!! How did they hire this guy?!

• Reply 52 of 223

The guy just isn't Apple material. Tim Cook should fire his ass at once, and admit he made a big mistake in hiring him.

This is what's wrong with unfettered Capitalism, greed takes over. At some point enough profit is enough profit.

• Reply 52 of 223

On behalf of the UK may I offer my apologies for burdening Apple with this "Unfortunate Hire". Now the Olympics are over, we'll gladly take him back and give him the job of cutting cost here at home. He can start with most of the Government, most of whom are a waste of rations and air anyway. 

• Reply 54 of 223
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member

Tell Tim Cook to fire Browett. Seriously. [email protected]

• Reply 55 of 223

Quote:

Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

If a bunch of forum readers can call it like that, how the hell did this guy get hired?

see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Principle

• Reply 56 of 223
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Of greater concern than Browett should be those who made the decision to hire him.   That is where the greater worry lies.

• Reply 57 of 223

I hope no one buys Apple stock until this guy gets sent packing.

• Reply 58 of 223
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waverunnr View Post

I'd bet a month's salary he's a Romney supporter.  Probably even contributed to his campaign.

Oh no you didn't. Please don't inject politics into this one thing we can all agree upon. Guys can be jerks whether Democrat or Republican, neither party has a monopoly on that.

• Reply 59 of 223

On behalf of the UK may I offer my apologies for burdening Apple with this "Unfortunate Hire". Now the Olympics are over, we'll gladly take him back and give him the job of cutting cost here at home. He can start with most of the Government, most of whom are a waste of rations and air anyway. 

• Reply 60 of 223
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackzig View Post

The guy just isn't Apple material. Tim Cook should fire his ass at once, and admit he made a big mistake in hiring him.

This is what's wrong with unfettered Capitalism, greed takes over. At some point enough profit is enough profit.

There's nothing wrong with unfettered capitalism, which ISN'T what we have right now anyway.

Smart companies don't do what this clown just did, though. He strikes me as a one-note executive who may have risen in the ranks thanks to the work of others. At Apple that doesn't fly.