New Apple retail VP John Browett planned to cut jobs to raise profits

Comments

• Reply 61 of 223

wow what a douche bag!!!!!

• Reply 62 of 223

"Papermastered",  Boom!

• Reply 63 of 223

This is very distressing.  Despite all the hype, my experience at Apple Stores has been very poor from a Customer Service standpoint.  They do not have enough people who can actually deal with Customers and their issues.  Too many that just stand around.  Apple is profitable, and their stores are profitable.  Trying to milk more profit at the expense of exceptional Customer service is a big step backwards.  They need to IMPROVE not digress.

• Reply 64 of 223
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

"Papermastered",  Boom!

The voice of Steve Jobs, from the beyond.

I just know that Jobs would boot this guy back across the pond.

• Reply 65 of 223
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

Tell Tim Cook to fire Browett. Seriously. [email protected]

Done

• Reply 66 of 223

Give me a break.  True capitalist try to take care of their customers.  Axing an already stretched sales staff is just completely idiotic.  This isn't about politics, it's about knowing your a** from a hole in the ground.

• Reply 67 of 223

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ewan View Post

This idiot is the reason I couldn't get a replacement charger at the Apple Store the other day. I was told I need to make a Genius Bar appointment the next day to get a new one. Seriously? I have to come back for a freaking replacement charger? That's so unreasonable.

It's been like this for a long time, especially at the busier stores. I've always had to make appointments and rarely could just walk in and get something done.

With that said, yes this guy sucks and I have lost all faith in him being able to handle this role.

• Reply 68 of 223

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waverunnr View Post

I'd bet a month's salary he's a Romney supporter.  Probably even contributed to his campaign.

Huffington Post is -------> that way.

Please go.

• Reply 69 of 223
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member

That is the first story I have read about Apple that genuinely made me not want to own any of their stuff. I agree with the prior comment, how did this idiot end up at Apple.

• Reply 70 of 223

Looks like he walked in a store, saw how relaxed people looked and how happy everyone was and decided it was because they had too many staff sitting around.  Jerk!

The environment in stores is what makes the stores.  Laying off staff will only piss off the staff that remain as well as create a stressful environment. 

I loathe managers that change things for a quick buck without thinking long term.

• Reply 71 of 223
    He looks like PC guy
  • Reply 72 of 223

Ha!  Gotta love people who shoot off at the mouth without knowing anything. 

• Reply 73 of 223
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Waverunnr View Post

I'd bet a month's salary he's a Romney supporter.  Probably even contributed to his campaign.

We have an entire subforum for politics because we don't want it anywhere else. Please keep it there.

I know that's not as catchy as "Welcome to our Forum. Notice there is no 'politics' in it. Please keep it that way." but we do what we can.

• Reply 74 of 223
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackzig View Post

The guy just isn't Apple material. Tim Cook should fire his ass at once, and admit he made a big mistake in hiring him.

But what are the chances of that happening? Wouldn't that just undermine Cook and leave no doubt that he screwed the pooch by hiring him? I mean, we all know that it was a big mistake by hiring Browett, but Cook firing him so relatively soon makes Cook look even worse IMHO.

I think Cook is just going to ride this one out and hope that we had our backs turned while Browett had his hand in the cookie jar.

• Reply 75 of 223

Quote:

Originally Posted by ignatz View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

**** this myopic motherfucker! You lay off just one employee and you create fear that all could be laided off. Your best, most knowledgable employees might look for work elsewhere and all employees will have less of an interest putting their heart and soul into their job if they know the company they work could jettison them on accounting whim.

Apple is the most successful retail chain by square feet and one of those reasons is because you can you get service. This will do more longterm harm than any good than increasing profits by a fraction of a fraction of a percent for a quarter or two. **** him!

Couldn't agree more!  This motherfucker has to put the CUSTOMER first.  He doesn't know how to grow profits in the long run.  You do that by putting the customer FIRST.

If it was up to him, they would make Apple Stores just like the cheap-ass cut-rate crap stores he used to manage, wher you can't find anybody to help you and if you could, they wouldn't know anything about the products.  That is short term thinking, and not like Apple at all.  Apple puts the customer experience ahead of everything, and that is why they are so profitable.

\

If you have happy customers, they come back again and agaoin and they don't care how much things cost because they enjoy coming in so much that they are willing to spend whatever it takes to enjoy it so much.  Its  like the difference between a fine restaurant and McDonalds.  If he wants to make Apple like McDonalds, he's barking up the wrong tree.

He should move to  the Microsoft store because they don't care at all about the customer, and only about their god-given profit margins.  Well what good are high margins if you don't have any customers?  Answer  me that, you cheap-ass motherfucker!

No... MS already hired the guy that worked across from Browett -- to run MS' Retail Stores.

• Reply 76 of 223

The fact that apple did a mia culpa tells me that this dude is probably going to be fired.

• Reply 77 of 223

He sounds like 99% of business people over here in the UK. Only think about the short term bottom line. Jobs would never entertain someone like this.

• Reply 78 of 223

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluedalmatian View Post

He sounds like 99% of business people over here in the UK. Only think about the short term bottom line. Jobs would never entertain someone like this.

I bet he used to vote Labour as well :)

• Reply 79 of 223

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

"Papermastered",  Boom!

The voice of Steve Jobs, from the beyond.

I just know that Jobs would boot this guy back across the pond.

I'd bet he's gone before the autumnal equinox... and that he's already out of the management decision making hierarchy.

• Reply 80 of 223
    emrulemrul Posts: 26member

Hey, if you compromise the customer experience enough then you won't have as many people coming through the doors.  And then you really won't need as many staff to service them.  That must be a real WIN huh? Moron.

If anyone has walked into a Dixons recently they're baron places where you're likely to have crappy insurance foisted upon you buy some teenager who has more idea about how to roll a spliff than the specs of a laptop on the store shelf.

This guy should go practice his brand of corporate price optimisation somewhere that is deserving of him - like SAMSUNG retail maybe?