New Apple retail VP John Browett planned to cut jobs to raise profits

Comments

• Reply 101 of 223

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Nuffink wrong with this... is there???

I am crying over the hire of Browett. Ths move send all the wrong signals.

stop it - your making me home sick!

ya think Currys customer experience is worse than Dixons - both are sooooooo far different (in a worse kind of way) to an Apple store experience - 

however - i have never seen so many forum members unite - 

• Reply 102 of 223
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    funkyfriar wrote: »
    Anyone who has ever worked in Apple retail knows that their staffing has always been lean.  Ive never worked in a place where they are able to get so much productivity out of a small group of very talented people.  If anything they need more.

Maybe it depends on the store, but my local Apple store is always packed with employees and getting their attention is never a problem. They could easily cut back 20-25% without hurting service.

I agree that it's a mistake to cut if it hampers customer service, but that doesn't mean that they couldn't possibly cut.
  • Reply 103 of 223

Quote:

Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Nuffink wrong with this... is there???

I am crying over the hire of Browett. Ths move send all the wrong signals.

ya think Currys customer experience is worse than Dixons - both are sooooooo far different (in a worse kind of way) to an Apple store experience - 

Well... Good, we know nothing about -- but bad, we understand!

• Reply 104 of 223
    asterionasterion Posts: 112member

A bit worrying that TC hired this idiot, given his demonstrably lobotomised state. He's clearly not of the Apple mindset, seeming to be more a "pile it high, sell it cheap" kind of guy.

Anybody fancy starting a "Fire Browett now!" petition at change.org? I daresay it might garner a few signatures — like every Apple Store employee worldwide, for a start! ;)

• Reply 105 of 223
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Curry's is surely worse than Dixons but lIke you say - differently. PC world is totally horrible, too. I can just see future apple stores using generic floor tiles and standard issue tables. Oh, and all that glass is excessive. Besides, if we hit lower cost locations we can get more stores.
  • Reply 106 of 223
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by realwarder View Post

Looks like he walked in a store, saw how relaxed people looked and how happy everyone was and decided it was because they had too many staff sitting around.

I doubt it was that simplistic, but this screw-up is all on him. So far, I'm thinking they should hire back Ron Johnson after he's kicked out of JCPenny's... who are not doing well at all.

• Reply 107 of 223
    lerxtlerxt Posts: 186member
    This guy is a moron. The last thing a company should do is reduce staff..it's the refuge of incompetent leaders and poor managers.
  • Reply 108 of 223
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

WTF?

This guy seems too "beige" for a company like Apple, perhaps Samsung could headhunt him to take over their new "We don't copy Apple at all" stores.

Part of the appeal of paying an "apple tax" whether existent or not, is that they have enough money to pay for a higher level of support than their competitors, that when you walk into a store you don't have to wait for an overworked employee, pressed for time who cannot give you the attention you require.

Thinking outside the square, with this approach is what made Apple stores one of the highest profit per foot retailers on earth.

• Reply 109 of 223
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Maybe it depends on the store, but my local Apple store is always packed with employees and getting their attention is never a problem. They could easily cut back 20-25% without hurting service.

I agree that it's a mistake to cut if it hampers customer service, but that doesn't mean that they couldn't possibly cut.

There are better methods of execution than this for a successful retail business. He should have kept an eye on hiring and controlled it there rather than simply try to prop up his numbers cutting recent hires which Apple would have paid to train along with the obvious morale hit. If they hired too many people in the first place, that is a gaffe in itself, assuming the information was accurate. These were not noted as seasonal employees.  I doubt there's any way this can portrayed as solid performance from this guy.

• Reply 110 of 223
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Why in the world did Tim Cook (and the board?) hire this guy? Apple has a world class executive team. Browett doesn't fit that description at all.
  • Reply 111 of 223

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The voice of Steve Jobs, from the beyond.

I just know that Jobs would boot this bozo back across the pond.

There, fixed that for you.

• Reply 112 of 223

Quote:

Originally Posted by derev View Post

This guy should be FIRED!!!!

We don't need a Romney or Bush ideologue pushing the "profits uber ales" mentality. You make more longterm profits by improving service, not cutting it.

More like f**king Thatcher!

• Reply 113 of 223
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    Do all you fanboys really think Tim Cook didn't know he was going to do this?
  • Reply 114 of 223
    Save a dime, lose a dollar. Asshole.
  • Reply 115 of 223
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    It was frustrating enough just to buy something before, and to reduce staff even further should have been clearly the wrong thing to do.
  • Reply 116 of 223
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PotatoLeekSoup View Post

Huffington Post is -------> that way.

Please go.

Actually, Huffington Post is <-------- that way.

• Reply 117 of 223

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

Tell Tim Cook to fire Browett. Seriously. [email protected]

First time I'm actually going to take the time to e-mail an Apple Exec. I won't go so far as to say that he should be fired immediately, but I will be certain to make it known that customer service in the retail stores is of the utmost importance to me. It's one of the biggest factors in influencing people I know to switch from Windows to Mac. It's one of the biggest reasons I've been able to convince people to choose an iPhone over an Android phone. And once these people make those choices and head into the stores if they need help or have a device problem, they're blown away by how much easier the process is than any other experience they've had. It may not be perfect all the time, especially at the busier stores, but it's still night and day better than the service you get from nearly any other major player in electronics these days.

And that is what Tim Cook needs to hear right now. We don't have all the facts. We have rumors and unsubstantiated reports and an ambiguous statement from Apple that seemingly denies certain accusations. So what's the truth? Only Apple execs really know, and it doesn't matter to us anyways. What matters is that we make it perfectly clear that any moves not aimed at improving customer service is the absolute wrong move.

And to play devil's advocate for a moment, the part of me does wonder why layoffs might be taking place for reasons other than pure profit stem from some recent lackluster experiences. While I've had no problem coming across Apple team members, I have oftentimes struggled to get actual "help." It seems that in some cases, and granted, this is mostly in the busier stores I've been to, they're in such need of people that the standards have slipped immensely. I've left the store a couple times wondering the point of hiring so many people to wear shirts if they're less than able to really be of benefit to the company. So if these layoffs and changes are taking place to change the game and focus on full time people that are perhaps more committed and potentially able to help (not that part timers aren't committed or can't help, I'm just saying that consistency and experience can be a good thing), then perhaps it's a good move. I'm just speculating though.

Also, considering how much growth we've seen in Apple retail and how many hirings keep taking place, you have to imagine that some of these people simply get fired because they simply aren't cut out for the job or have failed to be reliable. Then, a story pops up about retail issues that may or may not be true and may have nothing to do with layoffs, and suddenly those employees that have recently been fired chime in to suggest they're living proof that this is a widespread problem when it could be completely reasonable that they were fired for good reason.

Who knows.

I'm just saying, if you're going to e-mail Tim Cook, focus on what we value, not rumors.

• Reply 118 of 223
    mac512mac512 Posts: 37member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

Do all you fanboys really think Tim Cook didn't know he was going to do this?

Maybe and that's scary...

• Reply 119 of 223
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    My apologizes for my "borderline postal" outburst earlier. This is the very first action I've seen since Jobs took the helm in 1997 that Apple could be resorting back to its old ways. That bothers me on many levels. While I think Apple is so strong that it would be a long time before the affects would make me look elsewhere for my favorite products it's still the ding and an unexpected one, at least for me, because it's an area that Apple should not be trying to be cheap. I know people have said the iPod was the halo device that encouraged increased Mac sales but I've always felt it was the Apple Stores. The ability to test out a Mac; the ability to ask a retail employee how something works or if a favorite app can be used on Mac OS X. If they think that a $10/hr employee isn't worth it to save a buck, will they then also consider taking away the open WiFi or using rundown display Macs because they feel the retail experience just doesn't matter that much?
  • Reply 120 of 223

Guys, here's what we should do...

Everyone please send an email to [email protected] and request that this moron be fired immediately. I hate to go there, but if Jobs was still in charge, this man would be on the unemployment line today.