New Apple retail VP John Browett planned to cut jobs to raise profits

Comments

• Reply 121 of 223
    rfhjrrfhjr Posts: 44member

This was a bad fit right from the start.  The Apple Store is a special place and its staffers are the cream of the retail crop.

This was a bad move and I hope his contract is bought out and that he is on his way back to England on the next flight.

• Reply 122 of 223
    I emailed Tim Cook back in January to express my concern at the hiring of John Browett. Incase anyone is interested, here is the reply I received:

[QUOTE]I talked to many people and John was the best by far. I think you will be as pleased as I am.  His role isn't to bring Dixons to Apple, its to bring Apple to an even higher level of customer service and satisfaction.[/QUOTE]

If this article is accurate then it looks like he was trying to bring Dixons to Apple.
  • Reply 123 of 223
    What I have found is that a well reasoned letter to Apple investor relations, will be read by everyone who matters. In other words, every time I have written such a letter, Apple has ended up doing something significant with respect to the issue. I don't kid myself my voice has had a significant influence, it's probably the case that many others have also joined their voices in.

This particular episode with apple's new head of retail, while worrisome, does not have enough actual information associated with it to spark this level of intervention – yet.
  • Reply 124 of 223
    It is clear that Tim Cook has made a terrible hire. However, anyone can make mistakes. What is important is how fast Cook moves to fix his mistake. If this guy, who clearly has nothing Apple in his DNA is not gone soon (maybe wait till after the iPhone5 release, because changing retail chiefs before then will be a huge risk) then I have to seriously question Tim Cook's leadership.
  • Reply 125 of 223
    Run leaner and sacrifice customer service experience lol this guy is a prize tool.

As soon as I heard he ran the Dixons group I knew it was a mistake hiring him. Anyone from the UK knows not to buy anything from their stores. They have rubbish customer service in store, rubbish after care and return policies and they have some of the highest prices around for every product. You will never find a good deal at these stores.

He used this policy at Dixons and look where it got him. Hundreds of stores closed throughout the country because nobody shopped there anymore. The stores look like relics. They are dirty and old and haven't been renovated for years.
  • Reply 126 of 223

Quote:

Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

It is clear that Tim Cook has made a terrible hire. However, anyone can make mistakes. What is important is how fast Cook moves to fix his mistake. If this guy, who clearly has nothing Apple in his DNA is not gone soon (maybe wait till after the iPhone5 release, because changing retail chiefs before then will be a huge risk) then I have to seriously question Tim Cook's leadership.

I wonder if Cook was the one who brought about the " reversal of a policy "?  I'll bet that was an interesting meeting!

• Reply 127 of 223
    How long before Apple's bubble bursts?

Seriously with people like this i dont think it will be too long.

How Apple has change since the death of Jobs
  • Reply 127 of 223
    ijoynerijoyner Posts: 135member

Typical new-recruit manager. Just change what's working, try to put your own stamp on what's working, trip everyone up, move in your own people to establish your power position.... AND kill the goose that laid the golden egg. If your report is right, show this guy the door immediately. People like him could destroy Apple and all the great work that Jobs did.

• Reply 129 of 223
    ijoyner wrote: »
    Typical new-recruit manager. Just change what's working, try to put your own stamp on what's working, trip everyone up, move in your own people to establish your power position.... AND kill the goose that laid the golden egg. If your report is right, show this guy the door immediately. People like him could destroy Apple and all the great work that Jobs did.

People like him WILL destroy Apple
  • Reply 130 of 223
    rickkrickk Posts: 1member
    Steve is spinning in his grave!
  • Reply 132 of 223
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by RickK View Post

Steve is spinning in his grave!

Nope, he hated optical drives.

And Browett is a real frigging laser in Steve's eye, if you know what I mean.

• Reply 133 of 223
    Apple retail store strategy has been brillant and is a major reason its products stand out. Service before, during and after purchase keeps us coming back.

Browett's background is incongruous to a full service retailer like Apple. Being a Londoner as well as living in the US, Dixon is to Curcuit City as Tesco is to CVS/7-11. Both Dixon and Circuit City had a failed retail formula and cut cost to pay rent. Tesco while profitable is a low end grocer that focuses on cutting cost and fooling its customers with 2 for 1 specials.

What do any of this experience have to do with Apple Stores?
  • Reply 134 of 223
    addicted44 wrote: »

I agree that hiring this guy was a mistake by Tim Cook. I think Jobs was the decision-maker in the hiring of Papermaster. Decision-makers sometimes make poor decisions.

That said, I disagree about retaining this guy any longer. Once you recognize a mistake you acknowledge it, correct it -- and move on. This second decision, is even more important than the first.

As I mentioned in an earlier post I think this decision has already been Implemented.
  • Reply 135 of 223
    Is Browett still going to make them take care of those TPS reports? Hey...is that my stapler?
  • Reply 136 of 223
    Steve Jobs is dead. Walt Disney is dead.

John did not know Steve. The people at Disney today didn't know Walt.

Need anything more be said?!?
  • Reply 137 of 223
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by ronstark View Post

Steve Jobs is dead. Walt Disney is dead.

John did not know Steve. The people at Disney today didn't know Walt.

Need anything more be said?!?

What Disney is forcing Pixar to do makes me furious… thanks for bringing that up in my mind again… 

• Reply 138 of 223
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

More like f**king Thatcher!

Oooh... 

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Curry's is surely worse than Dixons but lIke you say - differently. PC world is totally horrible, too. I can just see future apple stores using generic floor tiles and standard issue tables. Oh, and all that glass is excessive. Besides, if we hit lower cost locations we can get more stores.

Currys and PC World are owned by Dixons Retail.

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Nuffink wrong with this... is there???

I am crying over the hire of Browett. Ths move send all the wrong signals.

Woah - been a long time I've seen a Currys without it being a joint Currys/PC World.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What Disney is forcing Pixar to do makes me furious… thanks for bringing that up in my mind again… 

If anything, it's Cars 2 and these rumoured sequels to Toy Story/Finding Nemo that's annoying.

• Reply 139 of 223

Wow, is he operating mostly autonomously? Please tell me his superiors didn't know about this.

This is BAD PR on top of everything else. Truly the antithesis of Apple standard operating culture… or at least, perception.

I mean… a scorched earth hiring policy, slash and burn, as if they are in a painful, loss leader position…  and all for "increased profit margins" which are ALREADY at a very healthy 22%?? 

And the stores "need to "learn to 'run leaner' in all areas, even if the customer experience is compromised." SERIOUSLY? "Even if the customer experience is compromised."??

If this is accurate reporting, this is a PR and customer service train wreck.

If I were Tim Cook, I'd be reprogramming the guy's priorities, or letting him go IMMEDIATELY.

There's a REASON Apple Stores feel "bloated"… it's because they provide THE BEST SERVICE of any retail establishment (and enjoy the largest sales of ANY retail chain), and they're immensely profitable. 

I guess coming from his background, a struggling, barely profitable industry… yeah, it's all he knows. 

Really, dude… "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

• Reply 140 of 223
    dub45dub45 Posts: 1member

Quote:

Originally Posted by planetkingdom View Post

Apple retail store strategy has been brillant and is a major reason its products stand out. Service before, during and after purchase keeps us coming back.

Browett's background is incongruous to a full service retailer like Apple. Being a Londoner as well as living in the US, Dixon is to Curcuit City as Tesco is to CVS/7-11. Both Dixon and Circuit City had a failed retail formula and cut cost to pay rent. Tesco while profitable is a low end grocer that focuses on cutting cost and fooling its customers with 2 for 1 specials.

What do any of this experience have to do with Apple Stores?

To a man with a hammer everything looks like a nail! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_the_instrument)