AT&T to require new Mobile Share data plans for FaceTime calls over cellular

Comments

• Reply 21 of 105

You're right, f#@k at&t. I've been with at&t since about 1991 and I'm getting ready to jump ship. Whoever said 'they're just trying to get you off their unlimited data plan' was right. DON'T DO IT. Keep your unlimited plans!!!!!!!

• Reply 22 of 105
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member

Quote:

Originally Posted by focher View Post

We'll see. So far, none of the operators are letting MVNOs onto the LTE networks. But honestly, HSPA+ is pretty good and I don't noticed much of a performance difference in practice versus my LTE iPad.

Well at some places I have 45Mb down on my iPad 3. Just unreachable for HSPA+ 

• Reply 23 of 105
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,087member

Sprint (or T-Moble!) - here I come 

• Reply 24 of 105
    plovellplovell Posts: 824member
    I'm glad I switched already. Didn't have an unlimited plan for them to get rid of - just a very profitable customer.
  • Reply 25 of 105
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    <vc><strong>AT&T on Friday announced it will be limiting FaceTime over 3G and 4G networkds to iPhone who sign up for the carrier's upcoming Mobile Share plans, which are slated to launch later this month.</strong>

Glad I dumped AT&T in favor of Straight Talk.
  • Reply 26 of 105
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    focher wrote: »
    We'll see. So far, none of the operators are letting MVNOs onto the LTE networks. But honestly, HSPA+ is pretty good and I don't noticed much of a performance difference in practice versus my LTE iPad.
    The major operators are probably holding onto this card to attract/retain customers for their priciest post-paid plans. 4G! The best plans! Fastest ever!

Eventually, one of the major operators will cave in and let MVNOs connect to their LTE networks, probably after deep deployment has occurred. Once that happens, I presume the other carriers will follow in quick succession. LTE uses wireless spectrum more efficiently, so carriers actually are motivated to pare down the number of users connected via HSPA/HSPA+. Plus there's no simultaneous voice and cellular data on EV-DO.
  • Reply 27 of 105
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

This helps me feel even better about ditching AT&T when I get my next iPhone!

The problems of AT&T vs. the problems of Verizon (such as lack of simultaneous voice and data on 3G!) have been closely in balance for me, but the balance is tipping...

You can't have voice and data on Verizon's LTE / 4G or whatever they are upgrading to?  What is this 4G/LTE just about speed and not functionality?

/

/

/

• Reply 28 of 105
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Glad I dumped AT&T in favor of Straight Talk.

Will you be getting the next iPhone (at all) upon launch or waiting a few weeks for people to test it on that service? 

• Reply 29 of 105

"I'm not so sure.  We've had five years of the iPhone and so far absolutely nothing has changed in regards the monopolistic situation of the carriers and the shitty deals and contracts they offer their customers.  All those hopes of the iPhone "changing everything" seem to have been misplaced.  They are making more money than ever before, and are in general more powerful than they were before." 

Heard of iMessage.  That ate into their SMS flows.  FaceTime is another nail in the coffin and represents beginning of the next wave power shifting from the carriers to the hardware makers.  

• Reply 30 of 105

It's unfortunate when commenters feel they need to invoke the "lazy Americans" stereotype. As far as I can tell, Europeans appear notoriously prone to demanding inordinate amounts of vacation and have tanking economies-often due to lack of worker productivity. Anyhow, did you ever think that some Americans simply cannot "afford" the total upfront cost of an unsubsidized phone? Or, that some Americans can afford to not care and just pay for the convenience of renewing legacy plans?

• Reply 31 of 105
    macosxpmacosxp Posts: 152member

Excuse me, but what is the source for the statement, and what is the source for the screenshot? I called AT&T enterprise customer service with a complaint based on this and they said they couldn't find any evidence that they actually made this statement or intend to do this.

• Reply 32 of 105

ATT put your plans where the sun don't shine.

• Reply 33 of 105
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

Quote:

in iOS 5.5.1 regarding 3G network data settings appeared to hint at the unannounced service.

Change to:

Quote:

in iOS 5.1.1 regarding 3G network data settings appeared to hint at the unannounced service.

• Reply 34 of 105
    Pretending that data isn't data isn't data isn't data is a slope covered in axle grease, banana peels, marbles, and anti-friction spray.

Sounds like a Leslie Nielsen movie.
  • Reply 35 of 105
    Incoming text sound: "AT&T billing; your account ([xxx-xxx-xxxx]) has been terminated without refund due to unauthorized data access. Thank you for shopping with AT&T. Also, as this text is 242 characters, you have been charged for two of them, as that's over 160."

I jail broke my iPad and I bought and installed 3G unrestrictor. When I was in Atlanta for a few days on business I faced timed home once to talk to the kids. Worked perfectly on their Lte network, although honestly, I would rather talk to people on the phone rather video chat.
    Since I have the ever increasingly limited unlimited plan I don't think I would do that on my iPhone.

Something that really bugs me though, is that for the people on the defined plans, where the hell does AT&T get the right to decide what people can and can not do with their data?
  • Reply 36 of 105

Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Sounds like a Leslie Nielsen movie.

"This whole AT&T thing got me looking for another carrier… I needed to get in bed with a telecom, but I had to make sure I wouldn't be screwed."

Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Something that really bugs me though, is that for the people on the defined plans, where the hell does AT&T get the right to decide what people can and can not do with their data?

*sage nod*

• Reply 37 of 105
    FUÇK you, AT&T. I'm deaf and was impressed of Steve Jobs for thinking about deaf and hard of hearing (he show it on his keynote with iPhone 4). I'm on 5GB data plan with tethering (to avoid being busted by AT&T). I don't have voice plan, just data plan. My sister and I dont want to share data plan because it cost a lot for extra GB that my sister and I both will use a lot of data. My sister use Facebook for her "business" and text. She's hearing. Me, since I'm deaf, I only use data plan. Why the fuçk ain't AT&T support this plan for FaceTime?! I'm so pissed off. I can't jump the ship and join other carrier because of stupid ass credit check with expensive deposit! So FUÇK YOU, AT&T!!!!
    Posted via my IPhone 4S with stupid ass AT$T. I'm not going to use AT&T from now on. AT$T that is!!

Edit: change the character from ? to Ç
  • Reply 38 of 105
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

The root cause of this is a lack of government intervention in the market. If the US government had mandated GSM like Europe, you would never have been in this uncompetitive, incompatible, monopolistic mess.

• Reply 39 of 105
    richl wrote: »
    The root cause of this is a lack of government intervention in the market. If the US government had mandated GSM like Europe, you would never have been in this uncompetitive, incompatible, monopolistic mess.

Hear hear, motherfucker, hear hear!!
  • Reply 40 of 105

Originally Posted by TexDeafy View Post

FU?K you, AT&T. I'm deaf and was impressed of Steve Jobs for thinking about deaf and hard of hearing (he show it on his keynote with iPhone 4). I'm on 5GB data plan with tethering (to avoid being busted by AT&T). I don't have voice plan, just data plan. My sister and I dont want to share data plan because it cost a lot for extra GB that my sister and I both will use a lot of data. My sister use Facebook for her "business" and text. She's hearing. Me, since I'm deaf, I only use data plan. Why the fu?k ain't AT&T support this plan for FaceTime?! I'm so pissed off. I can't jump the ship and join other carrier because of stupid ass credit check with expensive deposit! So FU?K YOU, AT&T!!!!

Posted via my IPhone 4S with stupid ass AT$T. I'm not going to use AT&T from now on. AT$T that is!!

Aww, you should have used Ç… Then I could have made a great pun about "pardon your French"…